Looks alone, CX-5 or CX-30

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Based on no other criteria than looks, which do you think is a sharper looking car, the CX-5 or CX-30? I ask because I have the 2020 CX-5 and my GF is considering the same, or the CX-30. Since both are fine choices, it really comes down to visual appear for her. I'm torn on my thoughts, because like the lines and I'm thinking the CX-30 has more initial eye appeal 'pop', but the CX-5 looks more like a complete package.

Last edited:
The CX-30 is a lot less SUV-ish "in person" than it seems in photos. It's more of a high-riding hatchback.

The CX-5 is more imposing, and still the best looking SUV this side of $50K or $60K.

They both look great for what they are, though. Just depends on what you want.

Upvote 1
CX-30 would be more appealing if they reduced the amount of plastic cladding around the wheel wells. That's a no-go for me if I ever decided to downsize.
+1
The CX-30 looks absolutely ridiculous covered in all of that black plastic cladding.

What is the purpose of covering the bottom 1/3 of the car in black plastic?
This is a grocery getter, not a rock crawler.

I think they were going for the Isuzu Vehicross look...

1608038880647.png

Upvote 0
IMO it's kind of a toss up. I like the side profile of the CX-5 better, mostly because the wheel-fender gap is consistent. The CX-30 appears to have a slightly lifted look, and the thicker cladding is something I'm not fond of on the red or blue.

With that said, the CX-30 gets nicer, more premium turn signals IMO. Instead of the standard on/off like the CX-5, they come on, then fade off. I know its minor, but I really like that they do that. Here's more info and a video: https://www.stanley.co.jp/e/product/automobile/dimming_turn.html

Doesn't look so impressive on that strip, but it looks great in the round housings in the CX-30's tail lights.

Upvote 0
Have her get the 30 just because I think it's lame when 2 people (together) have the exact same car. :D No offense to you nutjobs that do. :D

Upvote 0
Based on no other criteria than looks, which do you think is a sharper looking car, the CX-5 or CX-30? I ask because I have the 2020 CX-5 and my GF is considering the same, or the CX-30. Since both are fine choices, it really comes down to visual appear for her. I'm torn on my thoughts, because like the lines and I'm thinking the CX-30 has more initial eye appeal 'pop', but the CX-5 looks more like a complete package.
No opinion on which model looks nicer. But I agree with 7eregrine that I won’t get 2 same CX-5’s. In addition, you can get a CX-30 with a 2.5L which is without potentially problematic cylinder deactivation.

Upvote 0
The new Mazda3 and CX30 have the semi trailing arm rear suspension (chassis shared with Toyota). The emergency handling is sub-par in my opinion. Check out the moose test on YouTube. Both perform worse than CX5.

Handling is important to me. I was going to buy a CX30 for my daughter until I saw those tests.

Upvote 1
Apologies..... but to me the CX-30 just reminds me too much of a Pontiac Aztec for some odd reason. If I had to drive one, I'd probably develop a strange urge to want to frisbee-toss pizzas up onto suburban home rooftops. The CX-5 is a much more aesthetically pleasing vehicle with an elegantly imposing stance and front end design that grabs the attention and respect of other motorists on the road. I dare say it even intimidates other drivers in smaller, lower cars to see it come up in their rear view mirror.

Upvote 0
I saw a cx30 recently and it had some really thick crossbars on the roof. Plus little beady looking blueish headlights.

The cx30 looks really similar to cx5 but their functionality is different.

Upvote 0
Thanks all. After looking at it in person the CX-30 looks kind of incomplete, like the designer gave up 10 months in to a 12 month project and said "we're tired, lets just throw the rest of this thing together and get out of here

Upvote 0
I like both but the CX-30 is more visually striking to me and isn't the 30 selling like hotcakes? If it is, clearly people like it! :love:

If I needed space and more of an all-rounder, I would choose the CX-5. If I wasn't so concerned with space and or seats, I would choose the CX-30...Now available in Turbo flavor (right?)! 😁

Upvote 0
I like both but the CX-30 is more visually striking to me and isn't the 30 selling like hotcakes? If it is, clearly people like it! :love:

If I needed space and more of an all-rounder, I would choose the CX-5. If I wasn't so concerned with space and or seats, I would choose the CX-30...Now available in Turbo flavor (right?)! 😁

The first few years of the Prius sold faster than they could build them, and buyers loved them too....... but definitely not for their looks, hahaha!
Just messing with ya. The CX-30 does have nice lines, but IMHO the giant plastic wheel well treatment could've been toned down..... a lot. To be honest, I looked long and hard at the both the CX-30 and the Hyundai Kona (which has yet even more plastic) when I first decided I wanted a small SUV and before my needs profile gravitated towards a more midsize model like the CX-5.

Upvote 0
The first few years of the Prius sold faster than they could build them, and buyers loved them too.......
...and immediately took over from Volvos as "parade leaders" holding up traffic in the fast lane with a mile and half gap in front of them.

Upvote 0
Last month, Mazda sold only 2,649 units of CX30, compared to 12,299 of CX5s.
That is 20% only. Hardly hot selling, IMHO.

CX30 is smaller, and not much cheaper with inferior non-independent rear suspension.
Look are subjective. I don't find it ugly.

Upvote 0
Last month, Mazda sold only 2,649 units of CX30, compared to 12,299 of CX5s.
That is 20% only. Hardly hot selling, IMHO.
What I mean is it’s not a bad start for a relatively new model. I believe it became Mazda’s second best selling model in November (MNAO sales). It’s also worth mentioning that the CX-5 out sells every other Mazda model by a wide margin.

Who knows how the CX-30 will be received long term, I wonder how it ranks in Global sales.

In any case, as @hal2 mentioned, they’re both fine choices and it appears they’re going with the CX-5. :)

Upvote 0
The new Mazda3 and CX30 have the semi trailing arm rear suspension (chassis shared with Toyota). The emergency handling is sub-par in my opinion. Check out the moose test on YouTube. Both perform worse than CX5.

Handling is important to me. I was going to buy a CX30 for my daughter until I saw those tests.

Good point. One minor note, it's classified as a torsion/twist beam rear suspension per Mazda

A 4-wheel independent suspension will ride and handle better. In the moose test you referenced, there is a difference.

Upvote 0
Back