Looking for smaller Mazda key fob

Most of my friends and family carry their phones in their front pockets, if they don't have them in their jacket pockets or their purses.

I haven't had to buy a new pair of jeans in a while, but all of my pants have front pockets that are either the same size or larger than the back pockets. I have an S21 Ultra with a case and I can sit down no problem with the phone in my front pocket. There is no way I'd keep it in my back pocket, it would stick out like a sore thumb and be an easy target for a pickpocket, plus there's no way I'm sitting my 200lb + ass on a $1500 device lol.

Either way, while a phone is a larger device, the keyfob seems to be more prone to accidental button presses. Maybe the reason for wanting a smaller fob is the idea that a smaller fob's buttons are less likely to be accidentally pressed? Or maybe it's just to manage the amount of bulk if the user doesn't want to remove anything attached to the keyfob (house keys, gym tag, air tag/tile, etc.).

The only time that my cell is in my front pocket is when I'm wearing cargo shorts. With jeans, I normally have my keys/fob in one front pocket and in the other a pocketknife and perhaps a bit of change. No place for my cell in either pocket. I carry it in my back pocket, but I certainly don't sit on it. I remove it from the pocket before sitting down.

As for pickpocketing? I'm NEVER in an area where I have to worry about this. (Knocking on wood)

The only time that my cell is in my front pocket is when I'm wearing cargo shorts. With jeans, I normally have my keys/fob in one front pocket and in the other a pocketknife and perhaps a bit of change. No place for my cell in either pocket. I carry it in my back pocket, but I certainly don't sit on it. I remove it from the pocket before sitting down.

As for pickpocketing? I'm NEVER in an area where I have to worry about this. (Knocking on wood)

I don't carry a pocketknife, I've never been in any situation where I have to worry about carrying one. Doesn't mean I won't be in one of those situations in the future (knock wood), but yeah. Kind of similar to pickpockets, they can operate literally anywhere.

I don't carry a pocketknife, I've never been in any situation where I have to worry about carrying one. Doesn't mean I won't be in one of those situations in the future (knock wood), but yeah. Kind of similar to pickpockets, they can operate literally anywhere.

I don't carry a pocketknife for protection, although it could be used in a pinch. I have 'other' means of protection if needed.

In any case, it doesn't really matter where we stow our phones when it comes to the thread topic. The off topic convo started with the comment that "most people" put their phones in their back pocket, and based on what users have posted, it's more like "a few people" (at least with regard to posters here).

I think the last time hal2 posted this thread, I linked to an article where someone took apart the keyfob, then 3D printed a smaller case and stuffed the keyfob guts in it. That is always an option, but depending on the design you could be losing out on some functionality.

Does anyone think this is a good design? The circuit board has a bigger footprint than the entire key that was previously used. It has a clownishly (like hal2 said) sized plastic case. Previous key design is roughly half the size and only uses 2 parts for the key case. This is a step backward.

View attachment 313828
A step backwards unless you are monitoring the Mazda Wallet!

A step backwards unless you are monitoring the Mazda Wallet!

The crazy thing is, it can't even cost any less (at least, any significant amount) than the old design. It's less comfortable to carry for no reason and uses additional parts, and it weighs more. Shockingly bad design.

If you want to improve the design, since the radio transmitter is different than the smaller key, you need only literally break apart the circuit board (on an expensive new key) and 3D print a custom case!

Last edited:
Back