Liftgate "left open" beeping -any way to silence?

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I was at Costco and couldn't pass up the close out sale on TVs and I didn't want to make 2 trips.

Even though the box for the TV measured like it would just fit between wheel wells or above, the opening of the hatch required the box to be at angle. This prevented me from closing the hatch all the way. I was able to tie it down by pushing lock mechanism shut on door and running a strap through that and to the latch catch on the opening.

But as soon as i started moving - beep beep beep and it doesn't shut off like a seat belt beep does. I turned the radio up for the next 20 minutes, until i stopped at a light, then beeping goes away.

I haven't looked in the manual, but does anyone know if there is a way to silence? Not a stretch to think people would occasionally drive with hatch open to transport something.

Last edited:
This works on almost all vehicles.
Manually push the latch to "close" position.
The car won't know the difference.
Remember to unlatch it after unloading...(use the unlock button on the hatch)

I went thru the same deal a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
i had the latch "closed" as i used as one side for tying down the liftgate - no dice. Beeping continued. I think there are sensors on the opening as unlocking via the door handle did not cause the auto open function, so i think the car new the gate was open still.

If it*s something you do regularly, you could always either unplug the bleeper or cover it with masking tape. It lives inside the back door so you*d have to pop the door card off.

If it*s something you do regularly, you could always either unplug the bleeper or cover it with masking tape. It lives inside the back door so you*d have to pop the door card off.

I've only done it twice, but will probably have to do it again. I'll give that a try, as those were 2 of the most annoying drives I've ever had lol.

Interesting.
It worked for me. I carried a furniture from Costco to my office.
I beeped all the way for 3 miles. So sickening.
I checked Google, and someone mentioned what I said.
I tried it, and it worked for me. On my way home, peace and quiet.

BTW, I also turned off the beep in the MID control.
I did it from the beginning at Costco. So, not sure if that made the difference at all.

Back