License plate shenanigans...

Hello. Brand spanking new Mazda owner after too many years to remember a Toyota owner. So, here we go... At the dealership, ink is hardly dry on the documents and the "sales assistant" is trying to put my transferred license plate on with the incorrect thread size phillips head screws she found who knows where. Anyone know the correct thread size for the license plate holder holes? Thanks in advance. Regards, Leon Geiser.

Sounds like they're an M6, 1MM pitch, M6x1, length of 14 - 20mm.

Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/... would likely have them, else online at Amazon and other places.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd suggest using stainless steel hardware, if you haven't already bought it. Coated hardware is fine too. Rusty bolts leaving rust streaks trailing down from your license plate is not a pretty sight to see on any car.

Upvote 0
Your story sounds a lot better than mine!

When I ordered our CX, I told the salesman NOT to install the front license plate or the bracket. He said but Illinois requires front plates. I asked him if it was the dealerships job to enforce this, no he said. So, it's not a problem, right? Right, he says, and he put a note in the docs not to install the bracket.

Flash forward 6 weeks or so and I get a call that my CX has arrived and it's ready for me to take delivery. My wife and I take the train into Chicago to pick up our new car, an hour and a half trip. The salesman meets us at the train station and drives us to the dealership.

Once at the dealership I see our beautiful new baby.

WTF? What's that on the front bumper? :oops:

I ask my salesman why there's a license plate bracket attached to my front bumper? Of course, he blames it on the service department, he swears that he put a note in my records not to install the bracket.

Everything else was perfect so what was I to do? I'm not going to refuse to accept the car as is, so I sign the papers and it's off we head for home.

Once I get home the first thing that I do is to pull the bracket off the front bumper.

Again, WTF!!!!

The stupid person who installed the bracket couldn't even do this simple job right. He/she totally missed the little dimples in the plastic that mark where the screws for the bracket should go. The damn thing is off center!!!

And again, what was I to do about this? Take the car back and demand that they fix it, somehow?

I bought some black plastic plugs to plug the holes. No one but me would know, but I know, and I look at that area every time I walk by the CX. Oh well.

Upvote 0
What color is your CX? you could fill the holes with lite body filler and carefully sand flush the use touch up paint. I’ve seen this done so well it wasn’t noticeable, but the guy who did it had skills. If it’s red then…it will be noticeable.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies! Haven't removed phillips heads yet so IDK if thread damage? If so I'll probably run a nylon screw in there but would prefer the Stainless rout, it's never failed me.
Those plugs on the front, this is a streatch but maybe you can use one of the plugs that cover various screw heads... or whateverthehella they hide, same body color?

Upvote 0
My 2022 CX5 had a license plate holder with screws/bolts in the luggage space. Maybe someone at the dealer removed them. Take new ones from a different car.

Upvote 0
When I ordered our CX, I told the salesman NOT to install the front license plate or the bracket. He said but Illinois requires front plates. I asked him if it was the dealerships job to enforce this, no he said. So, it's not a problem, right? Right, he says, and he put a note in the docs not to install the bracket.

Flash forward 6 weeks or so and I get a call that my CX has arrived and it's ready for me to take delivery. My wife and I take the train into Chicago to pick up our new car, an hour and a half trip. The salesman meets us at the train station and drives us to the dealership.

Once at the dealership I see our beautiful new baby.

WTF? What's that on the front bumper? :oops:

I ask my salesman why there's a license plate bracket attached to my front bumper? Of course, he blames it on the service department, he swears that he put a note in my records not to install the bracket.

Everything else was perfect so what was I to do? I'm not going to refuse to accept the car as is, so I sign the papers and it's off we head for home.
I had EXACTLY the same issue with my CX-50! Salesman blamed the delivery prep guys. AGGH!!

Upvote 0
What color is your CX? you could fill the holes with lite body filler and carefully sand flush the use touch up paint. I’ve seen this done so well it wasn’t noticeable, but the guy who did it had skills. If it’s red then…it will be noticeable.

See my sig, titanium flash mica is the color.

I thought about doing as you suggested and almost went with it. I used the plugs instead.

Upvote 0
I swear, people are so freaking stupid, annoying, and incompetent these days I really think we are going backwards in evolution. G-D help us.

Man-o-man do you have that right!!! There are examples of this EVERYWEHRE you look these days, we're doomed.

You ever watch the movie Idiocracy? Nail on the head!!!

Not highly rated but still....

Upvote 0
Man-o-man do you have that right!!! There are examples of this EVERYWEHRE you look these days, we're doomed.

You ever watch the movie Idiocracy? Nail on the head!!!

Not highly rated but still....

When I first saw the movie I thought it was a parody, now I'm not so sure.
Turns out the writers may be able to see the future.

Upvote 0
The stupid person who installed the bracket couldn't even do this simple job right. He/she totally missed the little dimples in the plastic that mark where the screws for the bracket should go. The damn thing is off center!!!

Wait...there were dimples? WTF? My plate was crooked too! Wow. Ohio changed the law last year so we don't need front plates so I don't have one now but yea...that always annoyed me.

Upvote 0
Wait...there were dimples? WTF? My plate was crooked too! Wow. Ohio changed the law last year so we don't need front plates so I don't have one now but yea...that always annoyed me.

Yeah, dimples. There's four total I believe, to accommodate different mounting brackets?

The idiot at my dealership managed to miss all four.

Illinois has a front plate law, for now, there's talk of eliminating the front plate requirement.

I'm a scofflaw and have been driving without any plates on the front of any of my vehicles since 1986, no problemo.

Upvote 0
I'm a scofflaw and have been driving without any plates on the front of any of my vehicles since 1986, no problemo.
LOL! Love it. I was surprised when I bought my 2019 Volvo that the front end was perfect...never had a plate there. Ohio (I always thought) will pull you over for it. Apparently previous owner never did get caught.

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back