Let the fun begin! New P5 Owner!

crunchox

Hey All!

I just sold my audi 90 last month and found this beauty of a P5 on my local craiglist ads (Pacific Northwest). 190,000K with a clean carfax and supposedly a rebuild about 40k back. Lots of extras (koni coilovers, headers, catback exhaust *loud!, ignition and battery, slotted rotors, steel brake lines, new wheels and tires :), rear strut, blacked out headlights, AEM intake, KNN filter, some tint, aftermarket stereo. And of course power everything with ABS and the extra airbags.

Havnt done much myself to it yet, polished the headlights, blacked out the grill, removed roof rack rails (need the inserts if anyone knows where to get em) and some detailing but so far very very pleased with it all!

Was hoping to get a little back story on it if anyone has seen it before or if it was a previous owners here on the forum. Supposedly the car was the daughters of the folks who own Tri-Point which is cool because I was at their shop once after my uncle bought a twin turbo RX-7 from a few years back.

Mostly Just wanted to introduce myself and share my new love with you all. Hope to do the DIY fiberglass sub enclosure in the back here soon and run some seafoam through her once the oil is about ready to change out.

Paid $4500

IMG_5039.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

One concern I have, after detailing the engine bay I now seem to get a rough idle at cold start, the rpms will bounce from 200-1200 until I free rev it a bit and once it warms up its fine but if I try to drive it right away there is a lot of engine hesitation and the acceleration is chunky... so any ideas or suggestions would be nice im almost certain I got something wet or dirty while detailing the engine bay cause it didnt do it before but so far no CEL...

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Chris

Welcome and Congrats! That is cool about the history of the car. I bought brakes/rotors from Jeff at Tri-Point...lol

From your pics I can also see that they did the 1.8L coil pack swap. On the 2.0L the coils sit right on top of the valve cover.

As for the roof rack caps, you can get them from Jason at http://www.onlinemazdaparts.com but they are pricey even with his discount. If you are in no hurry start a WTB thread in the Marketplace section and keep checking the f/s threads along with ebay.

Oh...if you don't like that grill I'll gladly swap you mine for it. :D

Awesome, thanks for the link! I'll be picking up a set for sure!

As for the grill, I didnt like it at first, it was painted the same silver color as the car and had lots of road wear but spent last night sanding it and decided to paint it flat black and now it looks 100X better but I am quite fond of the stock mesh grill :)

Thanks for the nice welcome :)

Well if you ever change your mind and want a stock mesh grill....keep me in mind. I'll trade ya mine plus some cash for yours if and when you want to make the trade.

Will do, im sure it would look great with the red body. Do you know what the grill is from? Is it aftermarket or from a newer body style or something?

Nice looking ride. I didn't see that one on CL anywhere when I was looking. I am also in the PNW down in the Olympia area.

At first glance I thought it was a mint blue grill but IIRC those did not have the emblem...so it's possibley an Erebuni. It also looks a lot like the '3' and '6' grills. However to the best of my knowledge those are nowhere close to fitting and the fitment of yours looks pretty damn good.

You could always ask the previous owner.

welcome...damn jeff cant wait 10 minutes and already trying to get parts of the guys car! haha welcome to the p5 world, you will enjoy every minute of it!

welcome...damn jeff cant wait 10 minutes and already trying to get parts of the guys car! haha welcome to the p5 world, you will enjoy every minute of it!

Who me? haha Hey, at least I was helpful to some degree before swooping in. lol

And I agree with Nick....it isn't the fastest car (by far) on the road but find some back roads with curves and she will leave a smile on your face.

The car looks good. You can see my stock 02 in the first and second pics. I really like the grill after we painted it black. Is that idle problem consistent now?

welcome welcome!!

Nice ride! Looks like you've pretty well got the thing set and ready to go right outa the box!

Tripoint is on this forum, so, you could always hit em up to see if that is the founders daughters car

Painted the rear valance flat black yesterday and added a home depot lip :) Swapped out brake and clutch fluid over the weekend after replacing the passenger side rear caliper. Think ill do my oil and manual tranny this weekend after running some seafoam through her. Gotta love new fluids! Oh, also added some fancy schmancy DDM HID's which I love and got rid of the terrible sqeak from the rear end after lubing the bushings on the rear sway, probably my favorite improvement thus far!

Things are shaping up nicely!

pro-1.jpg

pro-2.jpg

pro-3.jpg

Last edited:
Back