Left or right Tie rod (CX-9)?

First I apologize, I tried to look up before asking but, I’ve gotta run out the door,,, question is, need passenger side outer tie rod, is it right or left?, I’ve never changed one so not sure on which to get, 2010 CX9 ,,
thanks..

When it comes to suspension work, you should always do repairs in mirrors. If you have to change your right side tie rod end, you should go ahead and do the left as well. They are the same age, and since one failed, the other isn't far behind. That way you only have to do the alignment once.

When it comes to suspension work, you should always do repairs in mirrors. If you have to change your right side tie rod end, you should go ahead and do the left as well. They are the same age, and since one failed, the other isn't far behind. That way you only have to do the alignment once.

Agreed.

Good mechanics will usually recommend you replace both sides of any worn components.
But, sometimes even mechanics will only replace whats damaged.

In that case, you just have them do both.

Since it is a 12 year old vehicle, how's the subframe?

Rusted through or solid?

If it's rusted through and your in market for new vehicle soon then your call as to whether to just replace the one side.

But if frames solid and your keeping for a few/several more years then you should replace both.

I'm in the rust belt and have gotten 14 to 17 years out of vehicles before the frames completly rusted out so you could get another few years.

Fluid film should help extend the life of your subframe even if it's already rusted somewhat. My new vehicle is fluid filmed every year.

Last edited:
Great advice, I was thinking of changing both but, left(drivers side🤓) looks good as opposed to the right which the bushing is ripped, I’ll do both like mentioned as it’s going to get alignment anyway, Thank you guys, much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Adjusting the length of the tie rod end is how the toe-in is adjusted. So--carefully measure from the end of the tie rod end to some point on the tie rod, take the old tie rod off, put the new one on, return to that measurement as close as you can, then drive directly to the alignment appointment you made before you started the job.

What I do is break the jam nut loose, but then leave it in place. That way when you remove the tie rod end, when you screw the new one back on, you're almost exactly where it was.

Last edited:
Back