Left cabin light on....

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT + PREM Pkg 2019 CX5- GT Reserve
2015 cx-5 GT w. tech package

okay so as I was taking my 8 months old out of the car last night when we got home.. I happen to turn the light on for a while. After getting all his toys and what not I got out of the car and went inside....this morning as im leaving home and im backing up I look back and I see the one of the lights is on. my car turned on..no problem driving (drove about 5-10 mins) to work. now I know the car has a feature that it turns certain lights off after a while when the car is locked. I do not recall if the light/s will turn off if they have been pressed to turn on and left on though. does anybody know? if it stayed on then it was on for about 8-9 hours. im sure my battery would of been dead..but not sure. just want to make sure before I make a trip later on today and my car dies on me on the road.

You shouldn't be afraid of the car dying on the road, as soon as it starts it'll keep running. The car will charge the battery. Just make sure you drive 10+ miles before turning it off again.

I don't know anything about how long lights stay on, since I've got my CX-5 just a month now.

P.s. great color on your car.

Last edited:
The setting for the interior lights is in the infotainment system, and is only for the "Power OFF DELAY" upon entering and exiting the car.

If you do happen to turn an interior light switch on manually, you are responsible to turn it back off.

The car battery should be able to keep the interior lights on for a day or 2 before the battery would be unable to start the car.

The setting for the interior lights is in the infotainment system, and is only for the "Power OFF DELAY" upon entering and exiting the car.

If you do happen to turn an interior light switch on manually, you are responsible to turn it back off.

The car battery should be able to keep the interior lights on for a day or 2 before the battery would be unable to start the car.
The battery saver feature from "Illuminated Entry System" should turn off the interior lights and infotainment system about 30 minutes with default setting. The time interval is programmable among, 10, 30, and 60 minutes. Never tried on the interior lights, but infotainment system will be turned off after preset time interval.

Could also be an incentive to swap those out for LED bulbs, which should give you a little more time until the battery completely drained. I have the switch set to door, one night my daughter didn't shut the tailgate completely, and I saw the interior light was still on in the morning (the settings was default values from dealer).

I recently left one of the rear ceiling lights on in my car for a week. It started right up. Apparently the car does auto turn things off and I recently found this setting for changing the off delay time. I did this once with my old Element and the battery was so dead it needed to be replaced. I love my sexCX5.

The battery saver feature from "Illuminated Entry System" should turn off the interior lights and infotainment system about 30 minutes with default setting. The time interval is programmable among, 10, 30, and 60 minutes. Never tried on the interior lights, but infotainment system will be turned off after preset time interval.

Yes, the 2016 and UP has this feature... 2013-2015 however, do not.

Too many times now I have gone out to a dead CX-5. I would usually get home around 5 to 6PM from work and after work errands or what have you. Turn on the interior light in my dark detached garage to find something, open the door, then not thinking forget to turn it off. Then usually I'm going to work at 6AM and the car is dead.

Now I just open the door first.

Having the interior light on for 12 hours should not kill your battery. It just doesn't draw that much power. Perhaps your battery is on it's last legs? You may want to have it tested.

You shouldn't be afraid of the car dying on the road, as soon as it starts it'll keep running. The car will charge the battery. Just make sure you drive 10+ miles before turning it off again.

I don't know anything about how long lights stay on, since I've got my CX-5 just a month now.

P.s. great color on your car.

thanks! (2thumbs)

did not know it would take that much for it to kill the battery. good to know. thanks a lot!

Having the interior light on for 12 hours should not kill your battery. It just doesn't draw that much power. Perhaps your battery is on it's last legs? You may want to have it tested.

No. It's done that ever since I bought the car, new. I have a nasty habit of redoing my mistakes (leaving the dome light on).

I've probably killed my battery that way 5 times now in the 3 years I've had the vehicle. Most of the time it's not completely dead in the morning, but everything is extremely dim and it's not enough power to start the car and a single attempt usually kills it the rest of the way.

Do you guys not have the first two settings? I have this on my 2014 6 and my interior lights turn off after half an hour.
934f86807beee6619aef1cb3a9949142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys not have the first two settings? I have this on my 2014 6 and my interior lights turn off after half an hour.
934f86807beee6619aef1cb3a9949142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those options are not available on my 2016 CX-5 Touring. Only option is the time duration after you shut the car off, get out and then close the door. I have mine set for 5 seconds so the interior lights go off after 5sec. One of my young passengers accidentally switched the rear one on one time when we were going to a ball game. It was light out so it wasn't noticeable (not like I would of noticed anyway). The game went 13 innings so it was about 6 hours later when we went back to the car. Car started right up and haven't had a problem. After that I searched for a way to turn the lights off after a certain amount of time like if somebody left the door ajar but there was nothing.
I know my Maxima automatically turned all interior lights off after 30 minutes if they were left on after the key was removed.

Those options are not available on my 2016 CX-5 Touring. Only option is the time duration after you shut the car off, get out and then close the door. I have mine set for 5 seconds so the interior lights go off after 5sec. One of my young passengers accidentally switched the rear one on one time when we were going to a ball game. It was light out so it wasn't noticeable (not like I would of noticed anyway). The game went 13 innings so it was about 6 hours later when we went back to the car. Car started right up and haven't had a problem. After that I searched for a way to turn the lights off after a certain amount of time like if somebody left the door ajar but there was nothing.
I know my Maxima automatically turned all interior lights off after 30 minutes if they were left on after the key was removed.
My 2016 GT has those setups and like I mentioned at post #4, the time interval is programmable. From owner's manual page 5-129:

"Illuminated Entry System
NOTE
Battery saver
  • If any door is left open with the overhead light switch in the DOOR position, or the liftgate is left open, the overhead light or luggage compartment light turns off after about 30 minutes to prevent battery depletion.
  • The operation of the illuminated entry system can be changed. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-10.
"

And I know the infotainment system will get turned off after preset time (30 minutes) too.

My 2016 GT has those setups and like I mentioned at post #4, the time interval is programmable. From owner's manual page 5-129:

"Illuminated Entry System
NOTE
Battery saver
  • If any door is left open with the overhead light switch in the DOOR position, or the liftgate is left open, the overhead light or luggage compartment light turns off after about 30 minutes to prevent battery depletion.
  • The operation of the illuminated entry system can be changed. Refer to Personalization Features on page 9-10.
"

And I know the infotainment system will get turned off after preset time (30 minutes) too.

If you read carefully, it only helps you if you leave your Door or Tailgate OPEN. It does not help you if you manually turn the light on and leave it on.

If you read carefully, it only helps you if you leave your Door or Tailgate OPEN. It does not help you if you manually turn the light on and leave it on.

Correct. So if you turn one of the dome lights on and forget to turn it off you're SOL.

Yes, you're absolutely correct. I changed "Int. Light Timeout - Door Open" from 30 Min. to 10 Min., shut the door, manually turned on a rear map light and the radio. After 10 minutes, nothing happened. After 30+ minutes, the radio turned off automatically and all interior lights were on for 15 seconds and off, only the manually turned-on rear map light kept on. So the battery saver feature for all accessories has nothing to do with battery saver from "Illuminated Entry System". It's preset to 30+ minutes and can't be changed. But the time interval on battery saver from "Illuminated Entry System" is changeable. Once the interior lights are manually turned on, they're on until you manually turn them off or the battery dies.

Yup agreed. The interior lights do not consume as much energy as that of the headlights. I had one or two 'misses' (left the cabin lights on unintentionally for about 5-6 hours). The light covers felt slightly hot but cooled down almost after about 5-6 mins.

Hello! I found this old thread, but I'm still suffering from the same issue in 2020 in a 2014 Mazda CX-5. The kids mess up with the map lights and I often forget to turn it off. When it happens during the winter, the next morning I cannot start the car. Does anyone know if there's a way to reroute the wiring so that the lights turn off even if the manual switch is on? I was thinking that I could wire the lights to the auto headlights, after all I will only need the map lights when it's dark. Sure, I would not have any lights when the ignition is off, but at least I know for sure that I'll be able to start the car next morning. BTW, that manual switch for the map lights makes no sense. That's a really bad design. The car should not have a functionality that drains the battery if you forget to turn off IMHO.

Latest posts

Back