LED interior lights?

Purpleorchid

:
2012 CX-9 GT AWD Crystal White Pearl Mica
Has anybody replaced their interior lights with LED lightbulbs? Something like this? http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mazda-CX-9-SMD-LED-Car-Interior-Lights-p/pkg_mazda_smd_09.htm

Was it easy? Instructions look easy...remove light bulb, replace with LED light bulb.
Does it interfere with anything? A friend said sometimes "door open" alarm is hooked into the dome light circuit. I don't know if that's true or not. Seems like just a lightbulb replacement to me.
Would you recommend it? or did you change back to the stock bulbs?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Has anybody replaced their interior lights with LED lightbulbs? Something like this? http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mazda-CX-9-SMD-LED-Car-Interior-Lights-p/pkg_mazda_smd_09.htm

Was it easy? Instructions look easy...remove light bulb, replace with LED light bulb.
Does it interfere with anything? A friend said sometimes "door open" alarm is hooked into the dome light circuit. I don't know if that's true or not. Seems like just a lightbulb replacement to me.
Would you recommend it? or did you change back to the stock bulbs?

Thanks in advance

Yes. Some bulbs fit better than others however. But they are plug compatible.

I've replaced all my interior lights, rear license plate lights, and reverse lights with LED. At night, it makes a HUGE difference in visibility and bottomline, looks AWESOME. I need to take pictures of my interior at night.

My LED bulbs is a bit different than what is pictured. Mine looked more like a separate panel. Hard to explain, but it has more "bulbs" than what is picture on that website.

I've replaced all my interior lights, rear license plate lights, and reverse lights with LED. At night, it makes a HUGE difference in visibility and bottomline, looks AWESOME. I need to take pictures of my interior at night.

My LED bulbs is a bit different than what is pictured. Mine looked more like a separate panel. Hard to explain, but it has more "bulbs" than what is picture on that website.

A picture would be awesome.

Do you remember where you bought the LEDs from? Were yours simple installs? Meaning, the bulbs are the same size/plug as stock? I want it to be as simple as changing the stock bulb out for an LED bulb with none of this "hard to plug in but I eventually got it", or "had faint light bleed when door was closed so I had to solder some resistors inline then it worked" stuff that I've read in reviews elsewhere.

I bought the LED's and got it installed with my HID's from http://www.xenonextreme.com/ The owner is really nice and did a great job. The LED's he sold me on were "universal" fit which means it has springs on the ends so it can fit a variety of housings. Very trick in my opinion and the light output is just awesome. I'll try taking a picture either later tonight or sometime over the weekend.

A picture would be awesome.

Do you remember where you bought the LEDs from? Were yours simple installs? Meaning, the bulbs are the same size/plug as stock? I want it to be as simple as changing the stock bulb out for an LED bulb with none of this "hard to plug in but I eventually got it", or "had faint light bleed when door was closed so I had to solder some resistors inline then it worked" stuff that I've read in reviews elsewhere.

Last edited:
By the way, the lights are very white, not blue at all. Some of the shots may have a shade of blue but its due to the white balance on my camera not being set correctly. Most of the shots was taken in complete darkness in my garage. The only shot that had my garage light on, was for the 3 row shot. I also didn't use any flash so you can see the true lighting. Honestly, its amazing at night.

Here's some interior shots:
025.jpg

Picture with the DVD players LED lights on:
016.jpg

018.jpg

As you can see there are 3 rows of lights you'd have to change:
038.jpg

I changed out the door lights as well. I don't think I used the LED panel lights for these, but they are LED. It looks blue in this picture but again, its due to the white balance on my camera not set correctly.
023.jpg

Also changed out the trunk light:
022.jpg

License plate and reverse lights changed out to LED:
036.jpg

028.jpg

Here's how the interior LED panel lights look inside the housing. Somehow the reflection was shown on my camera:

014.jpg

Last edited:
You're missing one more interior light. The roof has 3 rows of lights. Looks like your order only comes with 2. Anyhow, for $25, that's a pretty good price.

The only thing I didn't like about those particular lights, some were a pain to install. I was helping the guy I bought my lights from on installation.

To the OP, looking on the site you provided, my panel lights are similar to these:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Panel-Lights-Car-LED-Dome-Lights-s/125.htm

As you can see, they're spring loaded, so its a universal fit. Much easier to install vs. the "made for cx9" led bulbs.

Last edited:
Hmm, I counted 2 map lights, 2 dome lights (1 bulb for second row, 1 bulb for 3rd row), 2 lights for doors, 1 light for tailgate. I have a moon roof, not sure if that matters or not. I'll take my time with the install, and hopefully not break anything :)

Hey guys don't forget to install LEDs on the visors and in the glove box too

You're missing one more interior light. The roof has 3 rows of lights. Looks like your order only comes with 2. Anyhow, for $25, that's a pretty good price.

The only thing I didn't like about those particular lights, some were a pain to install. I was helping the guy I bought my lights from on installation.

To the OP, looking on the site you provided, my panel lights are similar to these:
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/LED-Panel-Lights-Car-LED-Dome-Lights-s/125.htm

As you can see, they're spring loaded, so its a universal fit. Much easier to install vs. the "made for cx9" led bulbs.

Thanks so much for the pics! Wow, when you said panel lights, I wasn't thinking THAT big of a panel. :) That reflection pic looks like it's a 36 LED panel???? Is that the panel for the dome light?

I must be blind, but I went to the xenonextreme site and I only see headlights, not interior LED lights.

BTW - At first I just wanted to change out the door courtesy lights and maybe the front dome lights. Yours looks really nice, I might have to re-evaluate and do a light bulb roll call for all my interior lights to see how many I need. :)

Last edited:
The panel looks big but it isn't that big. Plus that panel was for the trunk/liftgate. The dome lights have smaller panels.

Xenon Extreme doesn't have the best website. If you call them they'll be able to help you out. I didn't even know they had LED lights until I went there for an HID install.

The LED lights is definitely one of the best upgrades I've done for the car. The interior is super bright at night. Plus I see it as a safety thing as well. When I turn off my alarm, the lights go on so I can see inside perfectly.
Thanks so much for the pics! Wow, when you said panel lights, I wasn't thinking THAT big of a panel. :) That reflection pic looks like it's a 36 LED panel???? Is that the panel for the dome light?

I must be blind, but I went to the xenonextreme site and I only see headlights, not interior LED lights.

BTW - At first I just wanted to change out the door courtesy lights and maybe the front dome lights. Yours looks really nice, I might have to re-evaluate and do a light bulb roll call for all my interior lights to see how many I need. :)

My LED light replacement plan is on hold. The main reason I was asking about LED light replacement is because my door courtesy lights were really dim. Dim, as in you had to stick our face up to the door housing light to see that it was barely putting out light.

I called the dealer to ask if the door courtesy lights were supposed to be as bright as the dome lights. He didn't know the answer, but said to swing by and they'll take a look. Well it turns out both door courtesy lamp housings had both fallen into the doors! LOL, no wonder the lights were really dim. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning for them to fix it.

The only reason I can think of why both the driver and passenger door courtesy lights fell into the door is because the dealer installed front window tinting when I bought the car. So they may have forgotten to clip in the housings when they were done.

I'll see the light output once they fix it. I may be able to deal with normal bulbs for a little while longer. :)

Received my ebay leds today. They shorted me a bulb, so I emailed the seller.

I'll put these in tomorrow.

20121027_171220.jpg

I just got some blue LEDs I thought would go nicely with the blue accent lighting and backlighting in the dash. It does look pretty neat, but "feels" really odd to have such a vibrant blue color inside the cabin. Additionally, the darker blue color really takes a lot of the brightness away from the light. I'm not sure if it is just that the LEDs aren't very bright, but I think more likely the blue takes away much of the light you can actually see. So if anyone is intending on switching to LEDs, I would advise sticking with white unless you're cool with a dark interior.

Hey SnowboardGeek... I see you aren't too far from me. Where is the installer you used located and do you mind sharing how much you paid?

Back