Knowing the defects, what made you buy a cx-5 still?

jrivers

:
'14
Just curious on why you bought your cx-5 after knowing there's window cracking issues as well as the whole vibrating side mirrors. I test drove a 15 with the new mirrors and knowing that these issues were prevalent with no recall or fix in the near future I just couldn't pull the trigger. It was an awesome car to drive, but I couldn't justify the price with these potential issues lying around. I understand that no car is perfect and they all have their own kinks that need to be worked out (tpms light - crv, oil consumption - forester, etc...) so in essence what sold you the car despite these issues?

I didn't know there were defects when I bought mine a year ago. I was not a member here at the time and was at the usual spots like Edmunds, Consumer Report and other common popular car spots reading many positive reviews.

I have not experienced any of these issues in the year of ownership and find my perspective to be similar to the positive reviews that I had read. My windshield took a really hard shot last week on the interstate. Sounded like a .38 was fired inside, but only a mark that was scrubbed off when I got home. No crack, no mirror vibration, barely some hood vibration a couple of times with hard cross winds traveling at 70+ hwy speed and that is really focusing in just to see if there was some vibration. Maybe I am the one lucky owner. Oh and my wife and I find the seats comfortable for 5+ hour drives.

I didn't know about the defects either until I joined the forum after purchasing the CX-5.

Definitely annoying to have shaky mirrors and the vibration on the hood... I have yet to take my car to any Mazda dealer though as the first oil change, I did it myself, just went to dealer to buy the oil + filter.

I was initially interested in a 2014 Subaru outback. I was driving a '08 Subaru WRX and loved how it drived. My wife and I went to a lot to check out the outback and just within a couple minutes we knew it wasn't for us. Personally i didn't like the outside appearance and the carp space was more long than tall. I travel with my large dog often so height is more important than length to me regarding cargo room.

This lead me to find comparable vehicles. Sites like motor trend and edmunds gave long winded reviews which I read thoroughly. We went to a Mazda dealer and test drove a touring and liked it.

We also check led out in person the RAV 4, CR-V, Tiguan, Tuscon, Sante Fe Sport, and Kia Sportage.

All these small SUV's had their ups and downs. It ultimately came down to the CX-5 having the best fuel economy, the best driving enjoyment, and overall look of the vehicle. I guess you could call it personal preference.

I ended up with a 2015 Grand Touring in white. To best avoid the issues talked about most I chose not to buy the tech package. I use my iPhone for music streamed with Bluetooth so I don't have the USB/IPod problems.
Nothing shakes or rattles in the 3 days I've owned her but I will be sure to tell everyone should something come up. So far I have no buyers remorse.

I did not experience any mentioned defects on the test rides. Of course I knew they existed but the driving experience of the CX-5 was paramount to me. The seats are the most comfortable when compared to the Rav, all Subarus, and Escape. If you look at the positives like fuel economy, crash tests, styling, driving dynamics, and simply bang for the buck; The CX-5 has to come out on top on any objective measurement.

Yeah, this is more for 2015 buyers. I totally understand these issues weren't known in the 13s, 14s until later on. I definitely agree that it really comes down to personal preference. Eventually, I went with the CRV. It was cheaper, and more reliable in terms of what I'm expecting. However, I did have to trade some conveniences I wanted in a car (touch start/keyless entry, blindspot detection, more zippy car, etc...). I'm glad you have no buyers remorse/regret cause that's all that matters in the end! Thanks for sharing!

I am 2 weeks into ownership and no mirror issues, no hood issues, buying a few upgrades to make the experience better, and very pleased so far. As it was when I got My Mazda 6 Sportwagon the driving experience trumps everything. I like to feel the car (old sports car guy who still owns an old sports car) during driving and the CX-5 does that to a greater degree then it's direct competition. We also needed this to be our car with storage room and long trip comfort.

I prefer having a car which has a slight vibrating mirror than a car that has a rock solid mirror but is boring to drive, ugly and not overall better, that's why the CX-5 was my choice in 2014, and would be me choice in 2015. But that's my opinion.

What defects. I have a 14 with none of the defects that you talk about. I just can back yesterday from 1100 mile trip. No issues and very comfortable ride. You must be trolling.

EVERY manufacture produces cars with defects. I've seen BRAND new camrys with leaking front struts, replaced MANY new Honda batteries because most would die within a year of purchase of vehicle, replaced control arms on newer calibers, etc. Many cars have defects. Manufactures try new materials, new suppliers, etc and sometimes find that a part doesn't quite work as well as intended or breaks prematurely. It's going to happen. Decide which vehicle YOU want and get it.

Defects? The vast majority of CX-5 owners have no issues and likely do not pay attention to web forums. Most problems posted are an issue for the poster and few others. Overall my CX-5 has exceeded expectations.

comes down to your priorities. Whatever issues the CX-5 has, or is known to have, are IMO relatively minor. Of all the cars in the class, the CX-5 was by far the most fun to drive, which is a top priority for my wife and I. The biggest drawback for us was the crappy infotainment system. But compared to the drawbacks of the other cars we were close to buying, we decided it was something we could live with.

I was considering a Subaru (Impreza / Forester) but was deterred by the oil-consumption, high number of first-year defects the Impreza had (rain collecting in the doors, brake issue, hard to start, bad CVT shift program, microphone dying and more), along with the lackluster real-world fuel-economy.
In comparison, the CX-5 had very minor and very few defects. I had both mirror shake and hood shake and they are now both fixed, I knew about both when I bought the car.
I did not know about the USB not resuming issue, but this is still a minor issue to me.

With any car there will be minor issues and annoyances. However, I try to steer clear from potential serious issues that will cost a lot to fix down the road or will require many visits to the dealer. On the up-side, I was getting a great looking crossover, with very good real-world fuel-economy and with the best ride of its class.

I prefer having a car which has a slight vibrating mirror than a car that has a rock solid mirror but is boring to drive, ugly and not overall better, that's why the CX-5 was my choice in 2014, and would be me choice in 2015. But that's my opinion.

EVERY manufacture produces cars with defects. I've seen BRAND new camrys with leaking front struts, replaced MANY new Honda batteries because most would die within a year of purchase of vehicle, replaced control arms on newer calibers, etc. Many cars have defects. Manufactures try new materials, new suppliers, etc and sometimes find that a part doesn't quite work as well as intended or breaks prematurely. It's going to happen. Decide which vehicle YOU want and get it.

comes down to your priorities. Whatever issues the CX-5 has, or is known to have, are IMO relatively minor. Of all the cars in the class, the CX-5 was by far the most fun to drive, which is a top priority for my wife and I. The biggest drawback for us was the crappy infotainment system. But compared to the drawbacks of the other cars we were close to buying, we decided it was something we could live with.

I was considering a Subaru (Impreza / Forester) but was deterred by the oil-consumption, high number of first-year defects the Impreza had (rain collecting in the doors, brake issue, hard to start, bad CVT shift program, microphone dying and more), along with the lackluster real-world fuel-economy.
In comparison, the CX-5 had very minor and very few defects. I had both mirror shake and hood shake and they are now both fixed, I knew about both when I bought the car.
I did not know about the USB not resuming issue, but this is still a minor issue to me.

With any car there will be minor issues and annoyances. However, I try to steer clear from potential serious issues that will cost a lot to fix down the road or will require many visits to the dealer. On the up-side, I was getting a great looking crossover, with very good real-world fuel-economy and with the best ride of its class.

Definitely agree with all you of in weighing out the serious issues vs minor annoyances. I loved how it drove, but personally I didn't want to deal with mirror stuff (had it on the one I drove). The CX-5 is a great CUV and I hope they iron these small issues for the late 2015/2016 models. I definitely can see them overtaking the masses of crv's and rav4's.

I understand that no car is perfect and they all have their own kinks that need to be worked out (tpms light - crv, oil consumption - forester, etc...) so in essence what sold you the car despite these issues?

I read the forum before my purchase but one test drive was enough to convince me the forum chatter was the usual mountain out of a molehill that is so common on forums like this.

I wouldn't characterize the CX-5 as having "issues". Any nit-picky issues that might exist are dwarfed by more serious issues of much of the competition.

The CX-5 is a very modern well-engineered/built car.

Every car has its defects. The CX-5 actually has fewer "issues" compared to ALL its competitors (especially the Tucson, Cherokee, and Escape).

Like Mike said, it is a well-engineered/built car. It is balanced in every aspect. Efficiency, reliability, driving dynamics, and aesthetics. The only true downfall I can nit-pick is the much dated infotainment system.

Last edited:

Agree with Mike. It a good looking vehicle,and also I couldn't use my Zooming number plates on anything else!

Why would you come on to a forum and post about defects in a particular model and deciding not to buy the car because of said defects?

Unless you are trolling?

The only issue I have is the USB issue....which is very annoying but I didn't know about this until after I bought the vehicle. To be honest, I will be replacing the entire stereo system sometime this year, so I'll live with the USB issue for the time being. Love the CX-5 overall, though. Have not had any other issue that have been mentioned (no cracked windshield, vibrating mirrors / hood, etc). I imagine all vehicles have issues of some nature (though again I will say the USB issue is rather annoying and I do not believe Mazda will fix it).

Bon

I read the forum before my purchase but one test drive was enough to convince me the forum chatter was the usual mountain out of a molehill that is so common on forums like this.

I can't agree with you more. Even though I like my forums, sometimes the info gets blown out of proportion real quick because two people had an issue. I did some online research and found 99% great reviews.
This is the wifes daily driver so she had lots of input. But when it comes to the mechanical side, design/engineering, it had to meet my standards, else it was scratched off the list.
I looked at every vehicle in this class and we test drove most of them. As soon as the wife got behind the wheel, she says we're buying this one, I was with her all the way.
So, after 2000 kms, we have had no issues talked about on the forum. Matter of fact, we finally got some decent weather (sunshine) and just returned from a 500km road trip. I like it even more now, than I did when we bought it.

Back