km @ Full tank down after 1st Oil change

yunvi

:
2014 Mazda CX5 GS
Hello all,

I have a 2014 CX 5 GS, and it reached 8000km over the weekend, so I took it in this past monday for its first schedule oil change.

I have filled the tank since, and the computer says I can only get 480kms on my full tank. I had filled up a week before the oil change, and it said i would be able to drive 580km before the tank went dry.

I wouldnt think that an oil change by itself would cause that, but does any have any clues or things I should be weary about?

I live in Ottawa, Canada.

Most cars will vary the distance to empty based upon your current mpg/kpl values. You'll probably find that nothing is wrong, it's just the car's instant calculation based on current driving.

Remember it's an estimate, you're also in canada so you're warming up your car more now that it's colder, and it's guessing based on the current average because for all it knows, you could floor it the rest of the tank, or drive like granny.

I have noticed that too. Same thing happened to me. I think the estimates are way off too. After filling it said 599 km. actually went maybe 500 if I'm lucky. I don't drive like Michael shumacher nor a grand pa either but I drive the street limits and mix both city and hwy. 500- 525 km is at best what I get. And the whole trip set km average thingy is a bit confusing to use

It cost me about 50-60 dollars Canadian to fill her up. I get 500-525 km per tank. My 05 civic costs 45 to fill and I get 550-575 km per tank But I am driving a SUV and more powerful engine. Does that seem good?

My 2013 2.0 GS gives me about 480-520km a tank, although everytime when I fill up, the trip computer tells me I "should" get 619km. I drive in Vancouver, @48000km now.

It's estimating based on a grandma driving- until a non-grandma starts driving or until winter gas and winter warm-up happens.

key word: estimate

It can't predict the future!

It's telling you what's possible. If you never hit that over the lifetime of the car, consider it a goal.

Hop on over to www.Fuelly.com and see what others are getting, it should be eye opening. Cold weather kills MPG, so if you really care that much, move.

Otherwise here are some things to check:
-tire pressure, cold, raise it by 2 psi over the door sticker and see if it improves
-alignment, even when new can be off as being tied down on a boat isn't good for anything, reducing toe helps MPGs but decreases stability, find a balance
-cold weather, when the car is sitting on you're essentially increasing the gallons and not increasing the miles, get an engine block heater to reduce warm-up times. Also try and arrange your trips with the furthest stop first, then the rest so your car is able to warm up. During warm up keep the fan off to aide in warm-up.

For instance my best MPG is hot day, hot car, highway driving, no to little city driving, and a bit of traffic but no slowdowns (aides in drafting).

Back