2017~2024 Key fob batt. replacement

How do you change the battery in the key fob? I have a 2020 CX-5 GT and I can’t find anything in the owners manual regarding this. Any help is appreciated!

Mazda made it much harder to replace battery than the old one.

I wonder why Mazda did not add a power-on/off feature to the fob.
This can prevent theft thru signal relay.
Maybe use the Sleep mode instead.

Upvote 0
Mazda made it much harder to replace battery than the old one.
I wonder why Mazda did not add a power-on/off feature to the fob.
This adds a layer of complexity that simply isn't needed and would probably annoy a lot of people.

Upvote 0
If only they had micro usbs for charging.
That would be interesting. My ancient 2006 BMW Z4M has a rechargeable key fob. It uses induction charging while in the ignition. It is an issue with cars like mine that are rarely driven. Keys will die and the battery goes bad. I recently found it is possible to recharge the key using my Philips toothbrush induction charger. It would be cool if Mazda made it a rechargeable battery.

Upvote 0
That would be interesting. My ancient 2006 BMW Z4M has a rechargeable key fob. It uses induction charging while in the ignition. It is an issue with cars like mine that are rarely driven. Keys will die and the battery goes bad. I recently found it is possible to recharge the key using my Philips toothbrush induction charger. It would be cool if Mazda made it a rechargeable battery.
The key fobs on my 2000 BMW 528i has the same rechargeable key fob using induction charging while in the ignition. Luckily both key fobs have never run out of the electricity even though we rarely drive the car.

I definitely will try to charge the key fobs with the Philips toothbrush induction charger. :)

Upvote 0
If only they had micro usbs for charging.
Disagree. The masses will just keep them on the charger when its not needed and that's what degrades battery performance and why most people have dying/dead batteries with their cell phones quickly.

Upvote 0
The key fobs on my 2000 BMW 528i has the same rechargeable key fob using induction charging while in the ignition. Luckily both key fobs have never run out of the electricity even though we rarely drive the car.

I definitely will try to charge the key fobs with the Philips toothbrush induction charger. :)
I always wondered why my old E46 BMW's key fob lasted forever.

Upvote 0
Back