Keep the car or sell it.

1sty

Contributor
:
2006 Toyota Tundra DC
This POS (peice of s***) G5 of my wife's is starting to piss me off.

Do I keep it or trade it in?

I seems to want to cripple me financially or something.
The Key less entry has never worked and after replacing the battery the GM dealers around me said we voided the warranty by changing the batteries...WTF?

2 months ago I had to replace the right control arm - $400
This month it was the left, another $400
Now the sunroof is not shutting properly, something seems to be protruding from the rest of the sliding assembly on the drivers side.
Also the radio is going completely black for random intervals, the volume doesn't work at times, the defroster switch has to be beaten to work and now it just nuked my wife's cell phone and two car charges after plugging them into the cigarette lighter. I cant even figure out what the hell could nuke a cell phone charger other then the alternot putting out too much voltage.
The car is only a 2007 with only 50,000 miles.
I wanted to keep the car since its almost paid off but this is now costing me more per month then my 09 Xterra.

I have never really had a 50,000 mile plus car, I tend to get something else by 40,000. Is this kind of crap common for used cars or is this another great example of a POS GM?
I owe 5000, trade in on it is worth about $7500.
I was considering trading it in for a used Acura TL with about 30,000 on it.
I am just not too excited to put myself another $15000 in debt to do it but I trust Acuras to go a good long time.

I just cant win with cars out of warranty. My wife's protege blew a damn engine at 55,000 and was eating wheel bearings.

Last edited:
This POS (peice of s***) G5 of my wife's is starting to piss me off.

Do I keep it or trade it in?

I seems to want to cripple me financially or something.
The Key less entry has never worked and after replacing the battery the GM dealers around me said we voided the warranty by changing the batteries...WTF?

2 months ago I had to replace the right control arm - $400
This month it was the left, another $400
Now the sunroof is not shutting properly, something seems to be protruding from the rest of the sliding assembly on the drivers side.
Also the radio is going completely black for random intervals, the volume doesn't work at times, the defroster switch has to be beaten to work and now it just nuked my wife's cell phone and two car charges after plugging them into the cigarette lighter. I cant even figure out what the hell could nuke a cell phone charger other then the alternot putting out too much voltage.
The car is only a 2007 with only 50,000 miles.
I wanted to keep the car since its almost paid off but this is now costing me more per month then my 09 Xterra.

I have never really had a 50,000 mile plus car, I tend to get something else by 40,000. Is this kind of crap common for used cars or is this another great example of a POS GM?
I owe 5000, trade in on it is worth about $7500.
I was considering trading it in for a used Acura TL with about 30,000 on it.
I am just not too excited to put myself another $15000 in debt to do it but I trust Acuras to go a good long time.

yep, I'd ditch it if its giving you that much trouble at such a low mileage.

what do you guys think about the TL route?
Think too much money for a 30,000 car?
They go for about $20K at this millage on an 04-06

what do you guys think about the TL route?
Think too much money for a 30,000 car?
They go for about $20K at this millage on an 04-06

I really like the TL and would more then likely have one if I could find the package that i want in a price range that I could aford without gettign a retarded 6-7 year loan. My co-worker has one and he loves it. I have rode around in it a few times and really like it! BTW what year TL? That would make or break ti for me.

Edit: i personally love the 2007 Acura TL Type-S

Get rid of it. Shop around as there are deals to be had given the state of things these days. TL type-S is a nice ride.

Looks like she wants a corolla.
As long as its not that Pontiac...I guess I can live :(

Try getting a TSX... a bit cheaper and more economical. First gens are nice cars. Or why not a Mazda 3 if she wants a corolla. It's a much better car.

Yeah I would say ditch it, nothing says you have to get a $15K car. Figure out what your real needs are and start looking for a car that fits those. Corollas are nice cars.

Looks like I may be boned.
I went to the local Acura dealer where my family is rather good friends with one of the sales guys as we have known him for years.
He looked up the wife's G5 and by KBB the damn thing is only worth about $5800, I own $5000. NADA was saying over $7000 so now even the TL is a no go. So there goes my $2000 trade in.

I hate, hate, hate this POS car.
Looks like it times for me to role up my sleeves and try to fix this thing.

Keep or Sell

1sty...Sounds like you just got a bad vehicle. My 2002 P-5 has 133,000+ miles, been baby driven by myself, manhandled by my son until he didn't want it anymore and now I have it back. We have always maintained routine oil changes, tire rotations, etc on it. It's a great car. I'm looking for something newer now but still want a Mazda. Of course I'll probably cry when this one goes but oh well... Oh and I had a AMC Javelin years ago with a shot carburator that looked like blended rusty tin inside. I drove it from the east coast to the southern west coast then up north. Not sure how I made it up there except to say when all else fails "a little prayer can't hurt!" Good luck!

Hyundai

Wicked awesome looking car! I am sure your wife will be more than happy with it!

Back