k1 rods/wiseco pistons

Selling K1/Wiesco on Ebay

Just bumped into this:

Wiesco Pistons and K1 Rods for $820

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazdaspeed-Protege-FS-DE-2-0-Forged-Rods-Wiseco-83-5mm_W0QQitemZ270285564048QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270285564048&_trkparms=72%3A727|39%3A1|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I am thinking of going with this combo.
I may be getting some used K1 long rods, just not ideal for an FI application I guess.
Now I have to understand what machining needs to be done for this to work.

i'm considering this set-up next year sometime...

random question...and i discussed this with a friend of mine today and we weren't completely sure...can you put it new rods/pistons without pulling the motor? i guess the only thing that would stop you would be whether or not anything would be in the way of pulling the crank. just a thought...i wasn't sure if this could be done or not.

random question...and i discussed this with a friend of mine today and we weren't completely sure...can you put it new rods/pistons without pulling the motor? i guess the only thing that would stop you would be whether or not anything would be in the way of pulling the crank. just a thought...i wasn't sure if this could be done or not.

Anything is possible but then again building an engine doesn't mean just replace a piece/part of it.

To do a "correct/right/proper" job you need to disassemble the engine , pull it out of car, to check/test and make the proper adjustments to the block/head and reinstall many new parts that can't be installed the way you want to go about it.

There's no way of short-cut in building an engine.

An over all note to this thread:

the difference on $$ wise is ~$400 give or take a few , but the question is is it worth the saving ??

On the other hand many claim K1+wiseco that hold/should hold to some # but i haven't seen or believe any one running 20+ psi on that set-up, i believe most of them stay under ~18psi (this might exclude JDM-SAM)
What i'm trying to say is that based on ppl experience can we tag a limit or goal limit to the two most common set-ups ???

Can we say that K1+wiseco set-up is good for under 18psi and Pauter + Arias is good for whatever you can get ???

At least this can show what the set up gives you so ppl don't have a second thought when they make their choice as well as to know what is your limit for that combo even though your forged.

Last edited:
I am thinking of going with this combo.
I may be getting some used K1 long rods, just not ideal for an FI application I guess.
Now I have to understand what machining needs to be done for this to work.

Are you talking about machining the stock pistons? or actual machining of the block. If your talking stock pistons they have to be machined to accept free floating wrist pins. if your talking the block you need to get a hone also you will need a line hone if you get arp main studs.

no you cant you need to hone the block for the new rings so they seat properly. You cant pull the stock rods and pistons out with the motor in the car because you have oil squirters in your way not to mention the crank and the only way to get the oil squirters out is to drop the crank and the requires pulling the motor and trans.

Anything is possible but then again building an engine doesn't mean just replace a piece/part of it.

To do a "correct/right/proper" job you need to disassemble the engine , pull it out of car, to check/test and make the proper adjustments to the block/head and reinstall many new parts that can't be installed the way you want to go about it.

There's no way of short-cut in building an engine.

An over all note to this thread:

the difference on $$ wise is ~$400 give or take a few , but the question is is it worth the saving ??

On the other hand many claim K1+wiseco that hold/should hold to some # but i haven't seen or believe any one running 20+ psi on that set-up, i believe most of them stay under ~18psi (this might exclude JDM-SAM)
What i'm trying to say is that based on ppl experience can we tag a limit or goal limit to the two most common set-ups ???

Can we say that K1+wiseco set-up is good for under 18psi and Pauter + Arias is good for whatever you can get ???

At least this can show what the set up gives you so ppl don't have a second thought when they make their choice as well as to know what is your limit for that combo even though your forged.

You cant really say one setup is good for x psi and one is good for another. Its all about your setup. Different combinations will make different power. Ill make more power at 12psi with my stock compression pistons then another person that has my exact same setup at 12 psi with 8.5:1. Alfredo(avarela86) has ran high boost on his k1/wiseco setup with no problem. Ill let you know how mine hold up when i push more boost on them.

No, we can't say that. I'm not sure why people think Arias' are better pistons than Wisecos and can hold more power. This is simply untrue.

What about a Pauter/Wiesco combo?!?! OMG, ITS BLOWING MY MIND

Yeah well i think that people say one is better than the other just because we are so stuck on name brand s***. Just like nike is better than another brand shoe.

well, money makes the difference thats the problem that we can't mainly stick with a particular set-up.

As far as my suggestion was simply to classify where 2 most common combo's stand but i should've made a small table to make it somewhat simpler to get the point.
I am aware that each set-up is different since many things are factored in to get the result.

This is just to get the "feeling"

piston ratio 9.0:1

A - wiseco/K1 = what will be max boost/whp can be achieved/support for healthy engine

B - Arias/Pauter = what max boost/whp can be achieved/support for healthy engine

C - wiseco/Pauter = --//--

D - Arias/K1 = -- // --

Piston ratio 8.5:1

A - wiseco/K1 = what will be max boost/whp can be achieved/support for healthy engine

B - Arias/Pauter = what max boost/whp can be achieved/support for healthy engine

C - wiseco/Pauter = -- // --

D - Arias/K1 = -- // --

PPL don't get all exited , we're just talking , right ?

thnx

i dont think pistons are rated by boost pressure.......and in all reality you cant rate anything by boost pressure because cfm per psi of boost with one turbo is not equal to another turbo's cfm per pound of boost. Jdm sam says that 3071 at 7 psi feels like the gt25r at 16 psi....

Last edited:
2.0 - you get hooked on specific details ??

I'm talking in general , put it this way guess estimate/ballpark thing.

When building motors and tuning .. you have to be hooked on certain details. It will be the difference between a long lasting powerful motor and blowing up a motor.

2.0 - you get hooked on specific details ??

I'm talking in general , put it this way guess estimate/ballpark thing.

lol there is no estimating psi or did you not understand my last statement. Tbh the combo that i run will be able to take more then i will ever throw at it. But then again i am confident in my k1/wiseco combo and thats why i run them. The relif cuts on my pistons were perfect and cleared the squirters fine. Tbh it all comes down to personal prefrence in the end. Both are proven setups that will hold more then what the normal built protege will ever throw at it. Like lowpsi said buy what you want both are solid setups

Back