K04 Reworked Turbo Owners, Please Chime In...

Tru-, running to seven thou as compared to the stock setup, which was running up to about 6100 and loosing it's enthusiasm quickly for me. That upgraded turbo feature would change the cars personality alot for the good! How does the the low end torque curve look or feel I suppose. Have you found you are shifting at a higher speed? thanks, and sounds like a good investment.

low end took a small loss in power. it is not lifeless, but noticabley slower spooling. i still shift at 6k. the car makes the same psi it did before the swap, just with a little more air volume. since my boost still falls off hard i still shift early. i sent my ecu to cp-e today. ...... full throttle on the way !!

low end took a small loss in power. it is not lifeless, but noticabley slower spooling. i still shift at 6k. the car makes the same psi it did before the swap, just with a little more air volume. since my boost still falls off hard i still shift early. i sent my ecu to cp-e today. ...... full throttle on the way !!

You're car will be an animal with the flash/tune. Look forward to reading the results!

Looking forward to the outcome keep us posted.

newcomer to the site here...not to boost though. Forgive my ignorance but what trim is the stock K04 in the MS3? Obviously it's larger than the BW units appearing on Volkswagen or Audi 1.8T's. Also to the guys who upgraded what size compressor wheels are you upgrading to? How about the hot side, are you upgrading the turbine wheel?
In my own experience with a Mitsu TD04-15T(obviously not on an MS3), even after upgrading to a larger compressor wheel and turbine wheel, and "modifiying" the housing, I still saw very little increase on the top end of things and was still only able to hold max. boost til about 6k. My peak power output from the stock turbo to the upgraded unit at 15 psi was around 40-50whp with tuning, which was achieved around 6000rpm, with my stock rev limit at 6500rpms. My biggest problems remained charge piping being too small,2.25 inch(not a real issue with a TMIC) and a need for extensive headwork.

I would think that 2.25 compared to 3" is just that. less potential flow regardless of ic location. If you are speaking of our stock mount yes i believe larger piping would just run into restrictions at the stock intercooler.imo

i'm not sure how much bigger the compressor wheel is, but it is very noticable when you look at them side by side. it is also lighter weight. also the hot side has a clipped turbine wheel, and is fully ported and polished. as for now it doesnt hold boost any better than stock, but that is the ecu's fault NOT the turbo. how do you expect to make full boost at high rpm when the throttle blade is only open 50% ??

updates on my flash soon to come. cp-e flashed my ecu and shipped it. it is due back to me today. i will re-install it today and drive it mellow for a few days to let my fuel trims settle in, as i do with every mod. i believe that is why my car is still going strong while so many others have blown engines with less mods than me ! you cant just add parts and go beat the pants off of it. the ecu is smart, but it takes time to learn.

i'm not sure how much bigger the compressor wheel is, but it is very noticable when you look at them side by side. it is also lighter weight. also the hot side has a clipped turbine wheel, and is fully ported and polished. as for now it doesnt hold boost any better than stock, but that is the ecu's fault NOT the turbo. how do you expect to make full boost at high rpm when the throttle blade is only open 50% ??

updates on my flash soon to come. cp-e flashed my ecu and shipped it. it is due back to me today. i will re-install it today and drive it mellow for a few days to let my fuel trims settle in, as i do with every mod. i believe that is why my car is still going strong while so many others have blown engines with less mods than me ! you cant just add parts and go beat the pants off of it. the ecu is smart, but it takes time to learn.
looking forward to your impression.

well it came, i saw, and i am less than pleased. i got nothing from it...nothing. my boost follows the exact same trend. up to 20 down to 15 at
6k and 12 by 6500. no increase in boost hold at all. my boost was actually lower after the flash, and i had to open up my MBC more. i got to the point where my turbosmart is WIDE OPEN and it would not make more than a brief 22psi and then fall like a rock. after talking to the guys at cp-e (who have been very helpful ) they think that even my reworked turbo just cant handle it. if that is the case it is pretty upsetting. i dont see any better results than the guys with a stock turbo. so i think will just go back to stock flash. the only thing i did notice is it got rid of the little extra lag the reworked unit had. that extra throttle opening seemed to help spool up, but that isnt enough to make me want to keep it.

I was concerned that the bit of potential from the little modified turbo would not be realised. and sorry to hear your dissappointment. Have you played with the wastegate at all?

i have a forge WGA on it, AND my MBC is wide open. this is all the turbo can do. there is nothing more i can do to make more boost

Ive been running the msf ap maps that keep the TP open till redline and there isnt much of a diffrence..Christian has been saying that it dont do much and I beleave him because there is no reason for him to lie about that.If it added 20hp he would put it in his ots maps.There should be more in that Cpe flash that should of made your car run better tho like your afr,timing and such.

Any chance the guys at PG have a compressor map for their upgrade they performed for you? Did they have to modify the housing at all or did they simply just swap the compressor wheels? I only ask because even with the larger coldside the compressor side may still be choked by too small of a housing which would negate any real gains and still leave you flat on the high rpm ranges. I am not sure of the limits to modifying a K04, but if a larger housing isn't common then the price of a larger one probably wouldn't be justifiable. Are you still running the internal wastegate with the WGA? I would suggest an external, but I can't find any information on any type of setup to allow that yet for the MS3.

I have seen an article about the limits on the stock wastegate and it does not have much room for porting. The little K was designed for quick throttle response, not so much for the serious performance application in my understanding. Good point about the compressor map though.

Any chance the guys at PG have a compressor map for their upgrade they performed for you? Did they have to modify the housing at all or did they simply just swap the compressor wheels? I only ask because even with the larger coldside the compressor side may still be choked by too small of a housing which would negate any real gains and still leave you flat on the high rpm ranges. I am not sure of the limits to modifying a K04, but if a larger housing isn't common then the price of a larger one probably wouldn't be justifiable. Are you still running the internal wastegate with the WGA? I would suggest an external, but I can't find any information on any type of setup to allow that yet for the MS3.

WG location makes no difference and is not needed until you have a BIG turbo. it will prevent boost from RISING above target from inadequate flow. i am seeing the opposite NO EXTRA boost at all. and yes i have the pump upgrade. i think it very well may be the stock compressor housing is choked

Back