Just test drove a CX-90 3.3L Turbo Premium Plus!

Dimcorner

:
2017 Cx-5 GT AWD
Got a call from the dealer that the CX90 just got into the lot in the morning.
I went in expecting to just look at it and the rep just said "you want to drive it?"

I'm like hell yeah!

Very quiet car. Ride is firm-ish. Softer than the '17 CX5 I have but not as soft as my '13 RDX.
Steering feel is between those two as well.

I sat on CX50 in the dealer and didn't like the stripe in the middle (I felt it but my brother didn't). Not an issue with the CX90.

Instrument screen behind steering wheel is gorgeous. On par with the Audi in clarity but not as customizable. Center screen is big. Parking views are ok. Not amazing but not bad. Screen is not tall so the 360 view feels small-ish. HUD is way bigger and clearer than my CX-5.

2nd row is super spacious and the seats slide A LOT. 3rd row hard to put foot under the seat. The outer rail for the middle row is almost in the middle of the 2nd row seat (offset) so ideal position for me is to stick one foot under and one foot in center pass. Head room plenty (5' 7") and I could sit there for hours no prob. Recline is ok.

Overall I would probably end up buying a PHEV based on our average work commute (7 miles one way). It feels smaller than it is. We tested a BMW x5 before and that one felt bigger than the CX90.

Thanks for the impressions! How was body control/handling, and how was the engine/trans? (engine note, smoothness, power, etc)

Handling was good for the size of car. It honestly feels smaller than it it. Does not feel like it rolls much but it definitely is not as stiff feeling as the CX5. I would venture to say it's just about as stiff as my '13 RDX. Not a bad thing given that this is a BIG car.

Trans was seamless and nothing to complain about. It did go thru the auto stop/start at some lights and what I did notice is that the car will start moving smoothly before the engine finishes cranking up. I'm guessing that the mild hybrid motor can move the car enough to make the start not jarring. You do feel the motor starting up but it's very slight. Sound wise I didn't hear much since I didn't give it the beans but for NORMAL driving it's very quiet and responsive on throttle.

These reports sound great! A PHEV with the room of a CX-9 could be the best of both worlds!

I just test drove a turbo premium, and here's a few of my thoughts: I did about 3/4 throttle (in normal mode) onto a highway, and the engine note is pretty satisfying to my ears. From driving an NA Cx-5, the fact that it has an I6 and turbo, they're both very noticeable and awesome, a big step further than turbo 4s have felt to me. It has a much more controlled and taught suspension/handling feel than the '17 MDX that I'm used to, but it also isolates bumps better than the cx-5 noticeably, that middle point. Also, I will say that my family with me loved the Artisan Red, and they're not red car folks. It was a really nice color, the power felt like plenty, and it handled better than it should've for the size and price. There was a Volvo 3-row also in the same showroom, going for $70k+ (Xc90) and my family definitely noted the value in the Cx-90 which was great. I'll stop rambling about my thoughts but overall words: Mazda, Premium, Composed, Powerful, Great yet not perfect, and Cohesive(ly Simplistic.

Liked the review. As I said to the salesman at the Mazda dealership yesterday when I purchased my 2016 CX5, when my wife and I move to Nova Scotia next year we want to do more family things with our extended family, but my wife wants to use one vehicle for those family days, so at the moment my personal vehicle after we move will be a Nissan Pathfinder and the CX5 will be hers.
I like to test the third row just to see if I can fit comfortably. I can’t fit in the CX-9, but I can fit comfortably in the third row of the new Nissan Pathfinder.
The CX90 third row is an unknown and since there is no time frame for one here at the Mazda dealership in Milton and Brampton, I won’t know for sure if we will be a Mazda family.

What would really seal the deal for me is if they had the center console in the 2nd row for the Premium Plus PHEV.

Back