Just received the recall notice for fuel pump

⋯ Personally, if this recall is extended to my vehicle, I'll take get into the dealership as soon as the part is available.
There’re many forum members here including me regretting to get the liftgate strut recall done on gen-1 CX-5 as the replacement struts are shorter (hence the liftgate opens lower and may hit the head to the taller person), inferior on quality as they’re getting weak to support the liftgate really fast, and some are having noise during the operation.

If this “low pressure” fuel pump recall is extending to my 2016 CX-5, I’d wait until the pump is failing then to get the recall done. There’s the “high pressure” fuel pump there which actually provides the most fuel with enough pressure.

also its possible to change it on your own once parts become available. I am sorry but I just dont trust the dealer new hire tech to not break a clip or mess the fuel level sender or spill fuel or mess the leather or not change the seals properly or who knows what else can happen. Its pure luck nowadays with the dealers, some are great others not so great but because of this great resignation issue its a mess out there even with the good dealers.

Maybe filling up at 3/4th empty can help the low pressure fuel pump. Hopefully dealers put their top mechanics on the swaps and not the new guys who do the oil changes. Once they change a few dozen fuel pumps they should have it down to a science.

Why is there a high and low pressure fuel pump anyway? Could you just remove it and use only the high-pressure pump?

also its possible to change it on your own once parts become available. ....
Although I completely share your dislike for having anyone work on my vehicles, they're not going to give you a pump to do this recall yourself. And if you did buy the pump and DIY the install, I suspect that Mazda would not agree that the recall was successfully completed, even if you did the job perfectly. So this would remain an open recall on your vehicle, and possibly could even affect your warranty, if anything fuel-system related happened in the future.

If you ignore a recall, later errors that can be attributed to lack of action, ex. high pressure pump or nozzles will not be replaced under warranty.

Why is there a high and low pressure fuel pump anyway? Could you just remove it and use only the high-pressure pump?
Low pressure pumps are feeder for the high pressure pump which are not self-priming.

Low pressure pump gets fuel from the tank to the engine so the high pressure pump can supply the injectors. Having no low pressure pump would starve the high pressure pump.

there was a forum thread on this one from a month ago. In short , yes. Everyone with 2018 and early 2019 is receiving the paper mail notice.
Even the Turbo models from first 2019.
No parts available yet, checked last week again.
So sit tight and wait. The pump replacement steps are available (not very easy swap but doable). Most important is when time comes to go to the dealer to have almost empty fuel tank. Otherwise if the tank is full its a big pain and lots of spills probably.
Our 2019 was delivered in Dec 2018. It shows no open recalls. Where did you hear that the turbos were included?

Our 2019 was delivered in Dec 2018. It shows no open recalls. Where did you hear that the turbos were included?
Since CX-9's equipped exclusively with the turbo are included in the recall one can assume turbos are not exempt.

However, note that Mazda is recalling only 121,000 vehicles covering multiple models and years. US sales volumes for recalled 2018 and 2019 CX-5's alone was over 300,000. US 2019 CX-5 sales were 154,543. So obviously not all 2019's are being recalled, and it could be a relatively low percentage, hard to tell.

It's possible Mazda is targeting specific pump production runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the fuel pumps become available? Has anyone had their fuel pump changed as per the recall?
not yet, checked recently.
It seems this would drag for a while at least until they have plenty of supply. Its kind of annoying since the recall news started around November last year.
already see few complaints on the NTHSA website.

29A1EB38-8944-421B-BE22-55D4CEE9D2C9.jpeg

Last edited:
not yet, checked recently.
It seems this would drag for a while at least until they have plenty of supply. Its kind of annoying since the recall news started around November last year.
already see few complaints on the NTHSA website.

View attachment 310192
Ok, I can see from that list that no CX-5 turbos are on it. They went into production in November 2018.

I dont know about dates but the recall has a part number listed for a Cx5 awd Turbo.
How accurate that is - no clue.

My 2019 CX 5 GT-R with the 2.5L turbo engine has a build date of 03/19 on the door jamb sticker. I checked the VIN for recalls on this official Mazda site:

No recalls were indicated. I am however keep close watch on the engine coolant level just in case I develop the issue with the cracked head. My CX 5 VIN falls within the range covered by the TSB but I assume since it isn't technically a "recall" it doesn't show up when I search the Mazda recall website.

It would be a disaster if I needed to have the engine replaced. So far I only needed to top off the coolant reservoir a little, it was only down below the max level line by about 1/4" and that was after about 12,000 miles and 2 1/2 years of ownership.

Back