Just got the CX-5 Hatch/Liftgate strut recall notice

Well, the problem is rust, isn't it? So if the strut rusts, could it rust the nub the strut attaches to? Maybe. Not worth the risk, imo. And if you've replaced that many, you know how insanely easy it is..
And a strut from Amazon is $30 or less. I checked before I posted. I always do.
I just like to have all my recalls done, no matter how trivial.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Certainly not an emergency, but unless some of you folks do your own oil changes, just have it done on your next oil change dealer visit. The may never fail, but who wants to get hit in the head if they do? Also I live 60 miles from the closest beach and mine looked like the ones posted in the pictures in this thread.

Certainly not an emergency, but unless some of you folks do your own oil changes, just have it done on your next oil change dealer visit. The may never fail, but who wants to get hit in the head if they do? Also I live 60 miles from the closest beach and mine looked like the ones posted in the pictures in this thread.
If the struts and bolts look like in those pictures shown, definitely go get the recall done whenever you have a chance to visit your Mazda dealer.

Well, the problem is rust, isn't it? So if the strut rusts, could it rust the nub the strut attaches to? Maybe. Not worth the risk, imo. And if you've replaced that many, you know how insanely easy it is..
And a strut from Amazon is $30 or less. I checked before I posted. I always do.
I just like to have all my recalls done, no matter how trivial.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I assumed they'd replace the rusty nub too. More reason to wait.

Mine looked perfect. Dealer said they would have to replace them anyway, due to it being a recall and thus liability issues.

I change the oil, along with everything else on my cars. No one but me has ever worked on my cars aside from alignments and body work in the last 16 years, and certainly no dealership. Hence my preference to get the parts and do it myself, if it were possible. But I suppose it's not. I just replaced the hatch struts on my 94 Integra a few months ago, for the first time. 23 years on the original ones, and they were just starting to become faulty when below freezing outside.

Dang I hope the replacement struts don't require more force to close the hatch. The force it takes now to close it seems just right, not too hard not too soft.

call up your dealer and ask them if they can just get you the parts. Explain your situation, that you don't want to take off of work and that you are plenty capable of changing them yourself. If that doesn't work, try calling mazda north America and get approval for a reimbursement if you buy the replacement parts outright and install them your self. My wifes old audi had quite a few things like that. The Coil packs would go bad and there was a recall on them anyhow. Since I din't want to tow the vehicle to the dealership, I just bought the parts from them and changed them myself. At the very least you should be able to get a loaner vehicle from them, Drop the CX-5 off the night before, pick up the loaner and return it after work.

Think they would give me a loaner vehicle for recall work on a vehicle with no warranty left?

I believe they should. You need to ask - pretty sure they would charge back Mazda for the same.
Ask for a MX-5 or MX-5 RF in white. Should go well with the season.

Think they would give me a loaner vehicle for recall work on a vehicle with no warranty left?

My notice says "Mazda will provide alternate transportation while your vehicle is at an authorized Mazda dealership for this repair"

hmmm... I wonder if they have any MX-5 loaners? :)

oh snap! I'm taking it to the dealer now for sure!! (lol)

Just gotta make sure you go at a busy time.

Last time I took mine in for a recall (ECU programming) they were done in 20min.. yet somehow a simple oil change somehow takes them over 2h when they promise 30min.

Getting an oil change Friday. Added recall to the service. Will see how long it takes.

Don't forget to ask for a loaner!

Dealer: We'll be done in 20min
You: But I need to get to work now.
Dealer: Here is your brand new MX-5 RF bring it back next week.

Oh I did. I said I had to go back to work down the street. It's too far to walk though. Hoping for a Miata!

Finally got mine installed by dealer. Don't have to worry about buying new struts any time soon!!

**Did not notice improved HP:( Did notice improved exhaust notes and increased headlight lumens :)**

Wondering if I shouldn't have left the stock ones in there. They didn't have any corrosion but had dealer replace late summer 2017.

I do need to confirm if it isn't the hatch latches but it seems I am getting some significant squeaking now closing the hatch. I guess I will spray up all suspect areas with some silicone spray next chance I get. This is a garaged vehicle as well.

Wondering if I shouldn't have left the stock ones in there. They didn't have any corrosion but had dealer replace late summer 2017.

I do need to confirm if it isn't the hatch latches but it seems I am getting some significant squeaking now closing the hatch. I guess I will spray up all suspect areas with some silicone spray next chance I get. This is a garaged vehicle as well.

I had the same issue recently with mine after having the struts replaced a couple of years ago. I put a light coating of vaseline on the strut rods (the part that retracts into the cylinder) and the noise went away.

Back