Just got a Protege5 Looking for some help

:
2002, Protege5
Hey all. I just picked up a Mazda Protege 5 for next to nothing because it had a pretty severe miss, ball joints are shot, drivers seat bracket is busted, Rusty rear hatch door, and just plain dirty and non loved. 165k miles brand new tires at least...

So I start looking into the miss. Pulled out the plugs and #1 was very oily and black, the rest were ok. Changed them out no change in the miss. Changed out the coils, again no change. Well next was a compression test.

#1: 40lbs(wiggle) added oil, no change.
#2: 190lbs
#3: 189lbs
#4: 188lbs

So off with the head, Sure enough #1 had a burnt exhaust valve. No wonder no compression and not running on #1.

Still in progress. Here are the pics of what I have done so far. Ordering a new valve and going to replace all of the valve stem oil seals while we are in there and re lap the valves

Anything else you guys/gals suggest while I am in there?

I do need some help with some of the other items!

Front drivers seat: Are there any other models that I can go to the junk yard and pull from? Like the regular Protege or the Mazda3? Year ranges and models would be very very helpful! I am just wanting to do a direct bolt in replacement.

Thank you all here is the link to my 93 protege project. Enjoy that one. I love that little car. These are a joy to drive. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123845010-1993-Protege-LX-Project-Daily-Driver

Here are some pics of my progress so far.

Good stuff.

If you have your intake out, change that rear engine mount, almost always torn apart. Not worth the effort if your intake is in otherwise.

Also, remove VTCS emissions system if you would like from the intake, it helps with cold starts.

Hey thanks fella's! I will check that rear engine mount! Thanks for the tip. My intake is still installed, but I think its just 2 or 3 more bolts and its out.

I was going to clean the egr while I have most everything out as well. I just ordered all of my parts from rock auto, new timing belt, spring, water pump, gasket set, with the new valve stem oil seals. and new exhaust valve, some various exhaust gaskets, and the head bolts.

Hopefully going to go to the pick N pull soon to look for a rear hatch and a bunch of other parts.

My drivers seat frame is busted, metal bracket broke off and gone. Are there any other mazdas that the seat frame will just bolt right in?

P5 you are awesome. Thanks so much! Looking forward to going to the pick n pull place to get parts.

I would go ahead and take the intake manifold off, and see if the screws from the butterfly valves didn't come off and cause the damage to that valve, and definitely replace the rear motor mount with a poly one even if it looks fine, because replacing it while the manifold is on is "a dubious task"......

........also try and make sure that missing piece of valve isn't on the screen in front of the first cat right below the exh manifold.

Nice! Im hoping to be able to work on my own car soon. As of now i have a friend who helps me do things. I also want a new front seat but i have leather seats so its hard to find one.

Thank you so much for the input here fella's. I will look into the motor mounts more. I did try to move the engine around a lot and could not get it to move. The mounts do look fine, but I will look into that poly one. I do like the poly bushings whenever possible. I did check on the top of that pre-cat and I couldn't find it there. The bore is not grooved or worn either. So I am not sure what went on. The top of the precat is a bit deteriorated but nothing bad. Its just a small area and its not clogged. I hope it is ok.

I did check that butterfly "choke" looking thing that goes to each port on the intake. They are all there and tight. I will double check again today. Thanks for the tips!

Overall my goal for this is to get it running and good and see if I want to keep it or sell it. I still have my 93 protege that is really nice. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Daily-Driver&p=6345721&highlight=#post6345721 Not sure which one to keep... Honestly I would like to keep the P5 as its is much bigger and has Airbags. Can't wait to get it up and running to drive it around.

Oh for your seats Gonzalez, I am having Katzkin put in my 06 F150. IT is the super crew so the big 4 doors, yeah huge truck. Leather installed all around every seat is $1,300. Just a thought for ya. I have seen and touched their leather and it is amazing quality.

I did check that butterfly "choke" looking thing that goes to each port on the intake. They are all there and tight. I will double check again today. Thanks for the tips!
The screws came out of VICS, the 2 bigger butterflies that are in the middle of the intake. The VTCS you are talking about in each port are the ones to remove for better flow and less noise but those weren't the ones dropping screws. Never hurts to check tho.

The screws came out of VICS, the 2 bigger butterflies that are in the middle of the intake. The VTCS you are talking about in each port are the ones to remove for better flow and less noise but those weren't the ones dropping screws. Never hurts to check tho.

Ok I see. Thanks for clarifying that! I will check it out. Still new to these cars if ya can't tell :)

I just got back from the pick n Pull. I got a complete drivers seat with frame and everything a factory CD player for the double din opening. the rear hatch complete and some various other pieces for $110 bucks. The rear hatch is in just about perfect condition unlike my current one... which has a huge rust hole over the Protege5 emblem.

I am stoked! Now my box o engine parts should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can get them installed this weekend. We will see...

Thanks again for the help here guys!

Good stuff.

If you have your intake out, change that rear engine mount, almost always torn apart. Not worth the effort if your intake is in otherwise.

Also, remove VTCS emissions system if you would like from the intake, it helps with cold starts.

How is removing the electronic choke help with cold starts?

Wolfy I need to find a pick n pull like that in Southern California. How would i go about searching for one?

I would just go to http://www.picknpull.com/ and search by your zip code. Also just go to yellow book or Google and look salvage yards or auto junk yards. See what comes up. I am sure there are tons of junk yards in southern CA considering you guys have a ton of drivers.

Best of luck to you

I will post up more pics when I get a chance. When I get off of work today I will see what I can get done this weekend.

Ok guys, got the head back on, cams should be on soon if I get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

Got all of the valve stem oil seals replaced. they felt pretty hard. Also got the all the valves cleaned up and ground down just a bit with that valve lapping compound. Much better. Got all of the carbon clean off the tops of the pistons and the heads. Everything else should be good.

Got the new water pump installed. Timing belt tomorrow if I can work on it.

Need some help though. Took off the engine mount on the passenger side to do the timing belt. It is torn. Which one do I need? Is that considered the left or the right one. Standing in front working on the engine it is the left side. Sitting in the car it is the right... My gut tells me it is the right side, but I just want to verify before I go buy one. Also are there any good replacement options? Like Poly ones? Where do I look to buy it. I don't mind ordering it and waiting.

More pics to come Monday or so.

Ok guys, got the head back on, cams should be on soon if I get a chance to work on it tomorrow.

Got all of the valve stem oil seals replaced. they felt pretty hard. Also got the all the valves cleaned up and ground down just a bit with that valve lapping compound. Much better. Got all of the carbon clean off the tops of the pistons and the heads. Everything else should be good.

Need some help though. Took off the engine mount on the passenger side to do the timing belt. It is torn. Which one do I need? Is that considered the left or the right one. Standing in front working on the engine it is the left side. Sitting in the car it is the right... My gut tells me it is the right side, but I just want to verify before I go buy one. Also are there any good replacement options? Like Poly ones? Where do I look to buy it. I don't mind ordering it and waiting.

Perspective is pretty much always from the drivers seat.

the mount you are talking about is referred to as the passenger side engine mount.

Here are some pics. I will try to get some more up soon. I got the rear hatch replaced with the one from the junk yard, as well as the drivers seat.

I have my old fabric up for sale if anyone wants it. The fabric was in great shape, the foam, not so much... But the junk yard seat was basically perfect and the seat track isn't busted.

Got the interior cleaned up as well. The carpets are black again, and not brown! Couldn't get any pics as it was dark when I finished.

Back