just bought mp3 last week, need a little info

roni

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
ok, i'm in central jersey, i bought my mp3 in north jersey last week, you can see pictures at my car page. i am sure that the car i bought used to belong to lazabluemp3, but i haven't gotten any response from the emails i sent to him.

this is a sweet car, from what i can tell it has:

a stage 2&3 spool turbo kit,
greddy gauges,
greddy profec e-01,
kart boy short shifter,
air/fuel ratio led display

ok. well here's the problem, it's running too rich, occasionally backfiring, and stalling sometimes when i'm trying to stop too soon after accelerating.

i know the profec e-01 has an anti-engine stall feature, but i cannot use it because the throttle monitor was never installed, only 2 channels on the profec e-01 are active.

i am not sure what the optimal settings are for the boost controller, and don't know where to take it locally to get it looked at. not even sure who made the modifications and would like to get in touch with them.

anyone know anything additional about this car or where to go to get someone to check it out?

Last edited:
There should be a local shop or something near by that does turbo stuff. Look in the phone book and call.

I don't know anything else to help out in that area.

the stalling could be caused by the bov, there is a thread in the FI section that might help...

welcome my mp3 sista, your headlights look different then ours in your pics..what color is the housing?

Last edited:
thanks for all the quick replies, but fyi, I am a girl :p

i'm in east windsor, it's less than 15 miles from englishtown

i tried calling around, but a lot of places wont work on turbos on foreign cars. i got some leads from some people i know, and am trying those. i would prefer a recommendation so that i dont end up wasting my time with people who know less than i do. im not a dumb girl so im not afraid of being bsed or overcharged because i know what im looking at.

i am more interested in finding out who made the modifications to the car, why there are only two channels hooked up on the greddy profec e-01 instead of three, why spool turbos website is down (because i cant find out all the information i want to know about them).

i have researched the mp3 for a while now, and planned on making modifications to it once i got it, but this is different. i dont know everything that was done to it.

i am not sure why my headlights look different, could be because most of the pictures were taken at night.

thanks for the invite to the event in february. but fyi, theres a good chance i wont be taking this car anywhere that i can show it off until its warmer outside. i hate the cold.

roni said:
thanks for all the quick replies, but fyi, I am a girl :p

i'm in east windsor, it's less than 15 miles from englishtown

i tried calling around, but a lot of places wont work on turbos on foreign cars. i got some leads from some people i know, and am trying those. i would prefer a recommendation so that i dont end up wasting my time with people who know less than i do. im not a dumb girl so im not afraid of being bsed or overcharged because i know what im looking at.

i am more interested in finding out who made the modifications to the car, why there are only two channels hooked up on the greddy profec e-01 instead of three, why spool turbos website is down (because i cant find out all the information i want to know about them).

i have researched the mp3 for a while now, and planned on making modifications to it once i got it, but this is different. i dont know everything that was done to it.

i am not sure why my headlights look different, could be because most of the pictures were taken at night.

thanks for the invite to the event in february. but fyi, theres a good chance i wont be taking this car anywhere that i can show it off until its warmer outside. i hate the cold.

I can help out on one of those questions...Spool's site is down because the company was bought out. The new owners will not continue to support the Protege turbo kits.

However, Terry is still on the board and he might be able to help you out anyway.

ok thanks for the info

terry, i've heard of him reading back in this history of these forums. who is he (what's his user name)?

oh, and fyi on the headlights, it's probably condensation, once the slushy weather goes away i can take a few better pictures.

thanks.

If you can't get a hold of Terry (spoolinmp3) you can PM me,Ghostp5, or MP3skaterNC. We have all worked closely with Terry and might be able to answer some questions.

thanks for your help xelderx. i very much appreciate everyone who has replied to me so far. i'll start by sending a pm to terry. anyone else who wants to chat with me about this more, feel free to pm me if i don't get to you first.

i know i have a pretty sweet ride, but now i need to make it even better than what it is and figure out what it already has. wooot.

welcome..

I saw the car in person b4.. it has the chrome headlights for the protege i think they come off the DX.. i forget the reason he said he switched them.

Re: thats my car !!!!!

Yep. I figured he's be surprised to hear about his car again. :p

He called me and gave me some info, but I'm at work, so I'll call him later. As far as I can tell, not too much needs to be done to the car.

I'll have more stuff to say after I talk to him more!!

FYI, imho, these forums rock.

LaZaBLuEMp3 said:
holy s*** thats my car haha

Last edited:
Back