Joining the Mazda family from Honda

Hi All!

Life has taken us in a whole new direction with the introduction of a small fussy crybaby into our lives. We needed the extra room and safety of a car that wasn't at eye level with every other SUV around here.

My wife and I got really good trade in offers for our two 2017 Honda civic's. We cross shopped with a Rav4 (marshmallow), CRV (turnip), outback XT (potato), and Q5 ($$$). In the end, the design of the new CX-50's really made it an emotional purchase. Plus our dealer had no markups on the higher level models. The car is almost station wagon like and the wheel arches are so flared out that the body is almost flush with the side mirrors. She, being the red head, ended up with a red turbo premium, and I have the more outdoorsy looking dirt colored turbo premium plus.

Really enjoying the CX-50's. The 320 ft-lbs of torque gives it great acceleration at on-ramps, especially for a car that weighs almost 1000 pounds more. With the 245/45R18 tires, it handles like a slightly heavier civic with heavier steering. It definitely feels more car like than most SUV's. I was getting 28-29mpg in the Civic during aggressive highway driving, the same driving at the same speeds in the CX-50 is around 21-22mpg.

We loved our Honda's over the past 5 years but between the small size, road noise, lack of rear AC vents, it was time to move on. I really miss our civics. They always punched above their class in terms of performance and reliability. Good honest cars that will always remind me of simpler carefree times. But onwards and upwards!

1663641446376.png

Congrats on the little one, and the two new cars! The sand colour is probably my favourite colour for the CX-50.

The Civic is certainly a very reliable car. For example, my wife still has her base model 2006 DX and the only issue we've had with it is a power steering line that just started leaking last year.

Congrats to OP on new cars.

I used to see myself as a Honda/Acura guy.. Not any more.
Owned 2 Accords, 1 Odyssey, one Acura in the past.
In contrast, 1 BMW 1 Toyota and I Mercury/Nissan.
Now I owned 4 Mazdas. (not including the '08 CX9 I traded in)

It is quite a scene when my kids come home and our driveway is full of Mazdas.

Hi All!

Life has taken us in a whole new direction with the introduction of a small fussy crybaby into our lives. We needed the extra room and safety of a car that wasn't at eye level with every other SUV around here.

My wife and I got really good trade in offers for our two 2017 Honda civic's. We cross shopped with a Rav4 (marshmallow), CRV (turnip), outback XT (potato), and Q5 ($$$). In the end, the design of the new CX-50's really made it an emotional purchase. Plus our dealer had no markups on the higher level models. The car is almost station wagon like and the wheel arches are so flared out that the body is almost flush with the side mirrors. She, being the red head, ended up with a red turbo premium, and I have the more outdoorsy looking dirt colored turbo premium plus.

Really enjoying the CX-50's. The 320 ft-lbs of torque gives it great acceleration at on-ramps, especially for a car that weighs almost 1000 pounds more. With the 245/45R18 tires, it handles like a slightly heavier civic with heavier steering. It definitely feels more car like than most SUV's. I was getting 28-29mpg in the Civic during aggressive highway driving, the same driving at the same speeds in the CX-50 is around 21-22mpg.

We loved our Honda's over the past 5 years but between the small size, road noise, lack of rear AC vents, it was time to move on. I really miss our civics. They always punched above their class in terms of performance and reliability. Good honest cars that will always remind me of simpler carefree times. But onwards and upwards!

View attachment 313229
When you cross shopped the CRV, was it the 2022 or the redesigned 2023? I like the looks of the 2023 better but here North of the border, they increased the price substantially and they still use the 1.5T which has oil dilution and low heater output problems; they should at least offer their 2.0T as found on the Accord. Very efficient little engine (1.5T has 190 HP) but not made for cold climate like where I live. The car journalists here say that Honda will lose loyal customers...Same goes for it's little brother, the 2023 HRV which went up in price and lost its Magic Seat in the process; OK it's much bigger than before almost like a CX-5 but with the Civic 2.0L engine, it's not quick vs a CX-5 or CX-30. There are so many crossovers now with sub-compacts overlapping compacts it's a jungle out there!

When you cross shopped the CRV, was it the 2022 or the redesigned 2023? I like the looks of the 2023 better but here North of the border, they increased the price substantially and they still use the 1.5T which has oil dilution and low heater output problems; they should at least offer their 2.0T as found on the Accord. Very efficient little engine (1.5T has 190 HP) but not made for cold climate like where I live. The car journalists here say that Honda will lose loyal customers...Same goes for it's little brother, the 2023 HRV which went up in price and lost its Magic Seat in the process; OK it's much bigger than before almost like a CX-5 but with the Civic 2.0L engine, it's not quick vs a CX-5 or CX-30. There are so many crossovers now with sub-compacts overlapping compacts it's a jungle out there!

It was the 2022. There are no 2023's out to look at. My issue with the 2022's is that it looks like a potato, is slow, doesn't excite me, has a crappy touch screen interface, and while it drives alright for a SUV, it doesn't drive well enough to make up for its deficiencies. The 2023's look a little better but still.

Put it this way, it's like the difference between a regular fit LLBean dress shirt and a slim fit Brooks Brothers shirt. They'll both look appropriate in a board room but one looks normal and the other one makes you feel like a million bucks.

@CXXX50 Welcome and congrats on a new addition to the family plus not one but two new CX-50s! Great intro and pics, I hope you'll keep us updated on life with your new Mazdas. 😁

Latest posts

Back