Jet performance chip?

floridadxer

:
Mazda Protege DX '02
Is anyone using this or any type of chip on their 2.0?

I had to trade down(had an '07 GTI 2.0T) because of recent problems
with my "moneypit" ('03 Freightliner Columbia).....
I test drove a bunch of cars and by chance I drove an '02 DX.....
and have to say I was very impressed with not only the handling
but also the urgency that this car wants to go from light to light!

Can't wait to lower moderately(Eibach sports)..maybe replace the 15"
steel wheels with some lightweight(15-16lbs.) 16 inchers...then a
Mazdaspeed sway-bar...maybe an upper-front strut tie bar..and to
top it off with an intake and performance chip.

I absolutely love the looks of this car(silver!!)....and also like the "sleeper"
element of this ride......ya know..surprise some folks.

Would love to take the engine to 200HP....of course if there's a egative
to my Mazda it's that it is an auto! damnitt man...oh well...love her
anyway..even in it's basic..no sun-roof..no power anything!

The mazda ECU generally tunes itself around these types of "chips"...You're tuning options for NA are basically full stand alone....

If you want high horsepower, you chose your car poorly...Header, Intake, Exhaust will net you about 110whp....I'd start with that and concentrate on handling performance and comfort...

Welcome to the forum....

check out the NA Tech section on this forum. There is actually a little competition going on for the 100whp/liter. Lots of other good info there about tuning a NA Protege. The SplitSecond piggyback looks like a pretty good, affordable tuning option for NA Proteges. That's on my short list of things for my car.

Jet performance chip = crap. You'll get what you pay for. Buy a real tuning chip, like an E-Manage or get an S-AFC. You won't be able to effectively tune closed-loop, but if you look for Jamesk's thread on the Splitsecond, it'll give you ideas on how to tune around it.

You can gain a lot of good midrange grunt with a piggyback, but you will be fighting with the computer for control of fuel under closed loop (at low rpms) and asbolutely struggling for ignition control at all points in the rpm range.

Thank you for the welcome and all the feedback....I think
I will pass on the Jet chip and probably just go the intake.....
exhaust manifold...and exhaust route.

I'm not looking for huge gains 'cause I'm awae that's not possible...
just looking for a little more torque and horsepower as well
as responsiveness....
and going to check out a MSProtege today....I'm just really impressed
with the Protege can't wait to drive the MSP!!

thanks again!(drinks)

I know this is old but I’m gonna add to this. I was having a crank no start issue with my car. Could not figure out the issue. Finally pulled my ECM out and it had one of these in it. Put another ECM in it and I no longer have issues getting the car to start. I agree with everyone else that this is junk but the car doesn’t strand me any longer.

I would advise finding the MP3 ECU. Advances the timing with premium gas...Pretty much the easiest and cheapest way to pull a few more out of the lil 2 liter or just boost it.

When I first joined this forum, if you posted anything about those chips, your post would be deleted.
I think if you did it a second time, you were banned.

Back