Is this my oil plug????

thepope540

:
2003.5 Yellow Speed - Sold, Spicy - Sold, #639 Black Mica
I found this on top of my transmission and a huge puddle of oil on the ground after a little noise...

Attachments

• P1010374.JPG
    P1010374.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 811
  • P1010375.JPG
    P1010375.JPG
    519.7 KB · Views: 787
JK... I'm pretty sure I'm the newest member of the zoom-zoom boom club. I guess its time to think about building a motor. It went at 1/3 throttle and about 3K rpm. No warning - just click (I let off the gas and listen not sure if I heard anything), click (start reaching for the key foot totally off the gas), BOOM. It was running great and then in 2-3 seconds it was gone. Makes for a kinda crappy b-day present from my car.

Last edited:
The transmission case looks great (from above), I haven't been under the car yet (it went at about 7 AM and then I spent 1.5 hrs in the cold waiting for a ride), but there is oil sprayed all over the back of the motor / firewall so I suspect there is a large hole in the back of the block. I think the piece in the pic shot up, bounced off the bottom of the intake manifold and came to rest on top of the trans. I'll know more tonight after I get the car on the lift.

I found this on top of my transmission and a huge puddle of oil on the ground after a little noise...

Well there's your problem...

but I have to agree that it looks more like your transmission case than your block. If I recall correctly from my engine rebuild, the block is a dark grey color while the tranny is that silver...

could be the windage tray too
but from the looks of the corrosion on it, that looked exactly like how my trans looked

def your transmission

Well there's your problem...

but I have to agree that it looks more like your transmission case than your block. If I recall correctly from my engine rebuild, the block is a dark grey color while the tranny is that silver...

I agree about the coloration, but that might mean that both the engine and trans are gone I don't even want to think about that. The oil looked like it had some antifreeze in it, but it was dark and the roads aren't totally dry so I can't be sure. I'll have to wait until I can get a ride back to the car and I have some warm non-work clothes to climb under it in and a light. Then I need to figure out how to get it back to my parents' house to put it on the lift.

seriously that's a smell I will never forget, but it could have been part of the bell housing and thus no smell. which would mean that you have a fried trans + block....sorry

It is the block without a doubt. I found a rod cap on the side of the on-ramp and once I got the car on the lift I found about 2/3 of the rest of the rod in many pieces and a fist sized hole in the block. The chunk of aluminum in the first pic is from the starter mount, which was blown to pieces when the rod shot out the back of the block. From what I remember the starter mount is not part of the trans or bellhousing, but it doesn't look like it's part of the block either. Does a new starter come complete with it? I'll post the pics tonight.

jesus man, and you werent even running it hard? what the hell...
i wish i had even a dollar to contribute to the DP R&D fund, which looks like is now part of the "help tom get a new engine" fund

This is the 2nd time that I've seen the starter get taken out. Happened to blkzoomzoom also along with the turbo and oil pan. But I doubt you subjected your engine to 330+ passes in one race season.

This is the 2nd time that I've seen the starter get taken out. Happened to blkzoomzoom also along with the turbo and oil pan. But I doubt you subjected your engine to 330+ passes in one race season.

I think the rod hit the starter and just below and externally there isn't any other damage. It will be interesting to see what it looks like inside. Hopefully I can find a motor and get it in the car quickly. The new motor will be getting my twiggys and a nice set of carillo rods (most likely A beam - I don't plan on making BIG power), I haven't decided about pistons. I have traction issues as it is so I don't really want / need any more than 250-275 hp, but I would like it to be reliable.

I found a 626 with a dead trans about 30 miles from my house. Complete car - $500 SOLD!!!

dam, good deal
but the starter mounts to the trans with 3 bolts so if u got a chunk off it, then ur prob going to need a new trans too

Back