Is this a scam?

Bass Addict

:
03 P5
(dunno) I've listed a car for sale on autotrader (on the board too) and I get this email:

Good day Sir /Ma, We like to know if you do accept the below forms of payments as a mode of payment. American Certified Cashiers cheque in USD funds. Or an USPS Money Order in also USD funds. our question is that we'ill like to know if you can transfer the shipping charges to the shipping company after which you might have recieved and cash the cheque (payment) so that the shipping company can come for home pick up of the item. So you don't need to worry about the shipping of the item okay?.While we take care of the shipping via our shipping company okay?. So if you are okay with the above forms of payment kindly get back to me with the below information so as for payment to to issued and mailed out. NAME : ADDRESS: CITY:
ZIP CODE: COUNTRY : PHONE#: So with the above information

-So I write him back saying I don't really understand what he wants...buy the car and pay the shipping and I pay the shipping company with the extra he trows in the money order. And ask him where he is located. I just now got this back and I don't know what to say, seems like a scam/huge hassle to me:

HELLO ,
GOOD DAY TO YOU RIGHT OVER THERE, I....GUESS YOU ARE FELLING FINE WITH YOUR FAMILY.NOW WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IS THAT, THE MONEY ORDER OR CASHIER CHECK THAT WILL BE SENT TO U WILL CONSIST UR ITEM MONEY AND THE SHIPPING FEES,SO I PROMISED TO ISSUE OUT A MONEY ORDER OR CASHIER CHECK TO U WHICH WILL BE ENOUGH TO HANDLE ALL THE TRANSACTIONS.AM VERY INTERESTED IN PURCHASING UR ITEM AND I DONT WANT ANY OTHER PERSON TO BUY IT. AGAIN WHAT YOU NEED KNOW IS THAT AS SOON AS YOU RECEIVE THE CHECK YOU HAVE TO GET IT CASH IN BANK OR ATM STORE AND CASHING POINT THE SAME DAY. AND DEDUCT YOUR ITEM MONEY AND SEND THE REMAIN MONEY TO THE SHIPPING COMPANY MANAGER IN UNITED KINGDOM HERE, SO THAT THEY CAN COME OVER THERE FOR THE PICKING UP OF THE ITEM OVER THERE.BESIDE IS THE ITEM GOING TO PICK UP IN YOUR HOUSE OR YOUR OFFICE.

I WILL LIKE TO KNOW THE FINAL PRICE OF THE ITEM

YOU CAN GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR INFORMATION:
NAME:
ADDRESS:
CITY:
ZIP CODE:
PHONE NUMBER:
So that the payment can be issue and mailout asap

Oh yea...I guess you are "felling" fine with your family? WTF? lol, ask a guy about his family that you contacted through a classified ad.

Yeah, that would be a Grade A scam there. The usual tip-off is that it's coming from an address outside the US. Where were you selling your item thru? Whatever site it is I'd recommend forwarding them this message to flag it as a scam so that they are aware.

first off, who in another country would pay for a car with a money order? second, why would this person be so interested in your car and so ready to send you a money order if they dont even know the price of it? third, why would they want to ship the car in the first place? they dont even know what youre selling. my thoughts, scam. money orders are sooooo easy to scam with. i used to work in a business center that sold them, and there are a lot of scams out there involving money orders.

lol, I figured. I kinda thought he might just be a foreign guy and I didn't want to judge him too quickly cause his english sucked. Then I got the whole shipping thing which is weird. My girlfriend said it sounded like he typed that in one of those spanish-english translators and it turned out "how is the family?" haha.

If you want, send me your bank routing and account numbers. I'll directly deposit the money to your account. No need for a check.

Just another example of this kind of scam. I received this today after posting an item on Craigslist. Same difference. (shrug)

I am interested in buying your item on craigslist,I want you to know that i want the best for both of us in this transaction.I'm cool with your final price,I want the item to be shipped to my ex-girlfriend because i am presenting it as a gift.I would have loved to come take a look at it but i am presently out of town on an assignment,i also want to believe it is in a good working condition .tell me if you will accept a money order or paypal as mode of payment as they only the two ways i can pay you right now,if accepted,send me your full name and address where payment will be issued and sent to ( for money order) If u accept the paypal mode of payment i will contact their customer care. i will instruct my financier to send the payment to you in excess,that is more than the item cost,this includes the shipping cost and extra expenses by the shipping company,all you have to do is to cash the money order at your bank,deduct your item cost and have the balance sent to the shipping company. it is the policy of the shipping company to receive payment before pickup.please bear with me as it is the best i can do for this transaction.provide me with your phone numbers.please fell free to ask any question

It doesn't sound like the buyer knows enough about the product your selling (a car) and talks about the post office. You gunna ship your Item (lol car) through the post office? It is definatly generic crap they messaged you with.

Ahhhh I got it now. They want you to send money to a random shipping company to come pick your car up and bring it overseas. Thing is there is no shipping company and no one will come get any thing from you.

SCAM, i know for a fact there are people counterfeiting cashiers checks and USPS money orders.

Yeah, it's a scam. They send you the the counterfeit money order and you cash it. Then you send the amount required for shipping to this shipper's address, but it's actually their address. A week later, your bank calls to tell you that the money order was counterfeit and you're solely responsible for the amount issued. So you get scammed out of the cost of shipping the car to the UK you thought you were given.

Back