is the CX-5 a feminine car?

Who is the priamary driver of your CX-5

• Total voters
I've always said that anyone who thinks a Miata is a girl car has never driven on a road course. Those little things are FAST in the right hands.

The CX-5...now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a guy driving one in person. three of my neighbors have them and their all female. weird, because it doesn't seem feminine to me.
Maybe it's just a better car than the other choices out there, and women aren't as brand loyal as men, so they are willing to try a Mazda out. That's my pot smoked filled theory anyway. lol

I don't get caught up with the whole "feminine" car thing. If you thing of the "macho" muscle cars from the 60's-70's....what do we call them? We call them "She" as in She's a beauty.

Me either but I ain't drivin no Mini! I do see lots of chicks driving these..probably 7 or 8 out of 10 avg..but meh I don't let that bother me. Have to say though gen2 nice as it is does seem to fit the feminine mold a bit more- not trying to start anything unlikely that a g2 won't grace my driveway at some point..like the first day the diesel goes on sale:)

Last edited:
Some of the best, most timeless car designs in history are considered 'feminine' (think classic Jaguar F-type).

I find that men who feel the need to - *ahem* compensate - by driving supposedly 'masculine' vehicle like lifted trucks/Hummers (that usually never see even pedestrian dirt roads) or 'manly' Mustangs etc and scoff at 'girly' cars like Miatas, Caymans (and yes CX5s) aren't particularly worth the time or effort (rlaugh)

I've always said that anyone who thinks a Miata is a girl car has never driven on a road course. Those little things are FAST in the right hands.

I concur. I resolve to own a Miata at some point in my life. :)

I did some contract work at an oil/gas company a couple years back, and everyone on my team all had the "who has the smallest d***" measuring contest of who had the biggest baddest truck. We all worked downtown in a corporate office by the way, so it wasn't like these were field guys who actually made use of trucks. Just driving them from their suburban homes to downtown thinking they're the s***.

I concur. I resolve to own a Miata at some point in my life. :)

I did some contract work at an oil/gas company a couple years back, and everyone on my team all had the "who has the smallest d***" measuring contest of who had the biggest baddest truck. We all worked downtown in a corporate office by the way, so it wasn't like these were field guys who actually made use of trucks. Just driving them from their suburban homes to downtown thinking they're the s***.

(rlaugh) Exactly!

A common example is that if you have a two vehicle household, the wife usually drives the nicer or the safer one.

Man, that comment really struck a nerve with me.
This is so true of the situation at my house.
I always have to drive the older POS in the driveway, and my wife always takes the new wheels.
I've had my Mazda 6 for 5 months now, and I only get to drive it to pick up a pizza now and then.

Well, in French "car" is "la voiture" which is a feminine noun. For reference "beard" is "la barbe" which is also a feminine noun.

I follow the tradition of naming my vehicle and her name is Madge. Beyond that I don't need to get hung up on what others thing about my vehicle.

I get a lot of props and inquiries on mine. From car meets and during regular driving around. At least twice from cops. I do see a lot of girls driving this car so.. it must be. I think the OEM wheels (at least the first gens) add to the feminine look along with the proportions at oem ride height.

..... and my wife always takes the new wheels.
I've had my Mazda 6 for 5 months now, and I only get to drive it to pick up a pizza now and then.
Hey you're lucky- we got a new CX5 almost a month ago and the ONLY time I've driven it was home from the dealership! Meanwhile I'm stuck with my work truck (312,000 miles).

My best friend loves to bust my balls and tell me I have a "girl car." Doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, I just leased my 2nd CX5 last month. I simply respond that I don't like pickup trucks and don't need a big SUV.

Two of my other buddies are looking into CX 5s for when their current leases end.

My ball busting buddy can waste gold coins and silver dollars filling up the tank of his big gas guzzling V8 pickup while I use the money I save with the CX 5 to buy more guns and ammo. 'Merica!!

I think you'd find, more often than not, women behind the wheel of a CX-5. But, I think there are a lot of women in the Miata/MX-5 too. And I briefly owned a 2013 Ford SHO, Livernois tuned and that car absolutely ripped, but I swear I never saw another man behind the wheel of one. Always women.

So that beckons the question...what the hell is a man's car? Corvettes, Tahoes and pick up trucks?

My wife drove our CX-5 from March 2012 until this month, when I inherited it. Frankly, I just don't give a damn anymore about image or having fun during my work commute. Instead, I strive to pay off my 30 yr mortgage in 10 years, max out my Roth IRAs every year, and save for my children's education, and despite the CX-5 being a woman's car, I'll happily drive it every day if it helps me to achieve those financial goals. XD

Eh... Nobody has ever told me it's a women's car. No. Around here a RAV4 is a women's car.

I have only ever gotten compliments and questions from others about my CX-5.

I've had a '14, '16, and currently the '17. The gen1 is a "cute" vehicle IMHO, so if I were to make a choice I would say feminine. The Gen II I'd have to go with genderless. People say they are essentually the same vehicle, but there is a clear increase in maturity and sophistication based off of the looks. It's no longer cute, which didn't bother me until I saw the 2017s.

I think no matter what all cuvs will be branded as feminine because theyre not quite a full fledged suv or a truck. Its a horrible misconception though because theyre a great blend of a sedan and an suv in one package with incredible utility. Even for people without families its still helpful to have awd and ample cargo space. Having said that I think the second gen Cx5 is the -least- feminine because of the new aggresssive look it has. You compare this to a RAV4 for example which is most definitely a car for women

I've had a '14, '16, and currently the '17. The gen1 is a "cute" vehicle IMHO, so if I were to make a choice I would say feminine. The Gen II I'd have to go with genderless. People say they are essentually the same vehicle, but there is a clear increase in maturity and sophistication based off of the looks. It's no longer cute, which didn't bother me until I saw the 2017s.

Huh. The only Gen 1's I found "cute" were ones that were Blue Reflex in color. There is nothing masculine looking with a CX-5 of that color in my opinion.

Others like Black, and Red seem far more masculine to me with Gen 1. I do not feel the same way with the red on Gen 2's though, probably just because of what color it turns in some lights.

Back