Is Mazda's upcoming CX-30 on your shopping list?

I'm in the "less chrome is better" camp, but I like those wheels. Similar to my '16 GT's.

Looks more attractive to me, but defeats the purpose of what I thought the cladding was meant to convey (more ground clearance and ruggedness). The package has only been announced for Japan so far, and is priced at $3,147 USD after conversion.

True although some people go for that here in Japan. I see Land Cruiser Prados with full body kits (featuring LEDs, chrome accents etc) and large diameter flashy wheels quite often...That said, $3,147! Ouch!

This CX-30 with the appearance package looks nice as does the color but I would prefer different wheels.

True although some people go for that here in Japan. I see Land Cruiser Prados with full body kits (featuring LEDs, chrome accents etc) and large diameter flashy wheels quite often...That said, $3,147! Ouch!

This CX-30 with the appearance package looks nice as does the color but I would prefer different wheels.

Yeah, I mean, I'd probably do it if I had a CX-30 and was willing to pay the price for it. Hell, I've got a CX-9 and I put 22" wheels on it, and I still want to lower it LOL.

I've realized that up until those pictures, I had only seen photos of the 30 in soul red. I find that it looks a lot more "premium" in this colour. I think I'd prefer a different wheel style too, but these aren't bad. They remind me of the "vampire fang" wheels that came on some 1st gen CX-5s.

Yeah the wheels featured in those pics are quite nice...I'd also like to see the CX-30 with slightly larger wheels...Hopefully we'll be seeing more CX-30 pics as owners join the Community, bring it on! :D

I have a 2016 CX-5 GT. Going to look At the CX-30 tomorrow. Thinking about getting something slightly smaller and sportier to enjoy in my retirement years. Opinions ?

I have a 2016 CX-5 GT. Going to look At the CX-30 tomorrow. Thinking about getting something slightly smaller and sportier to enjoy in my retirement years. Opinions ?

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

Lol, but seriously, I'd probably consider the CX-30, or maybe even the 3 hatch.

Nope, didn't ever bother driving it. Very limited rear legroom and small cargo area. Nice vehicle though. I may consider a new CX-5 now.

I’m 6ft 200lbs. Felt too cramped for my liking. Maybe something we get my kid when he needs a car

I'm 5'11 and just under 200# and I find it quite comfortable. Lots of adjustment with the wheel and seat for me...
So has anybody here bought one yet? I'm looking at mid summer purchase for me..
m

Definitely looking into one next time around, spent about an hour online yesterday checking it out from various sites. She's a looker!

Sat in one at the dealership while wifes 2018 CX5 was being serviced. It was a mid trim model without sunroof. Interior quality is very nice, I found the visibility out more cramped then a CX5 (didn't like how closed in the side windows were). Height wise its very sedan like, I'm 5'7 and can easily see over/reach the roof area. Ground clearance is almost an inch more then CX5 but standing next to it you wouldn't believe it.

I was seriously looking at replacing my CX-5 with a CX-30 because the CX-5 is too large for my needs 90% of the time.

I took a look at one in the dealership and was disappointed by two things:

1) Plastic cladding - as others have mentioned, it looks hideous - way too thick on the wheel wells. It doesn’t look as bad in the dark grey colour, but in red it looks brutal.

2) No trailer towing for the North American market. This is a huge disappointment given it shares the same powertrain with the CX-5.

Other than a taller, more aggressive stance the CX-30 really doesn’t offer much more than the Mazda 3 hatch.

I test drove a CX-30 three days ago and it’s really like a mini CX-5 but not as tall, probably faster since it’s the same engine on a lighter vehicle… beautifully designed interior, LED lighting everywhere, inside and out. The interior is almost identical to the 2020 Mazda 3. I currently drive a 2017 CX-5 GT Premium and I'm a bit spoiled with the interior room. The CX-30 is definitely comfortable up front, but those back seats are a bit cramped for adults. My wife and I are retired and we take road trips with a large lab. He probably fits back there just fine. It’s too bad it is lacking a power passenger seat. The European version also has power-folding outside mirrors, which the US version does not. I can see how this design style will be eventually incorporated into the next redesign of the CX-5.

I was seriously looking at replacing my CX-5 with a CX-30 because the CX-5 is too large for my needs 90% of the time.

1) Plastic cladding - as others have mentioned, it looks hideous - way too thick on the wheel wells. It doesn’t look as bad in the dark grey colour, but in red it looks brutal.

2) No trailer towing for the North American market. This is a huge disappointment given it shares the same powertrain with the CX-5.

Other than a taller, more aggressive stance the CX-30 really doesn’t offer much more than the Mazda 3 hatch.
I'm hoping a trailer hitch solution becomes available soon, as lacking one would be a deal breaker for me. Doesn't the CX-30 offer more cargo space and rear seat room than a Mazda 3 hatch? I haven't looked up the numbers.

I'm hoping a trailer hitch solution becomes available soon, as lacking one would be a deal breaker for me. Doesn't the CX-30 offer more cargo space and rear seat room than a Mazda 3 hatch? I haven't looked up the numbers.

Trailer hitches are currently available but in a class I configuration. The owners manual prohibits towing for the North American market.

I saw my first CX-30 yesterday, in red. I agree on the plastic cladding. The other thing that worries me is it is assembled in Mexico. Nothing against Mexican assembly line workers but I think Japanese assembly line workers are more detail oriented. Just my opinion.

Before I bought my CX-5 I considered waiting for the CX-30. I am really happy with my purchase, as I am sure CX-30 owners are with theirs.

I saw my first CX-30 yesterday, in red. I agree on the plastic cladding. The other thing that worries me is it is assembled in Mexico. Nothing against Mexican assembly line workers but I think Japanese assembly line workers are more detail oriented. Just my opinion.

Before I bought my CX-5 I considered waiting for the CX-30. I am really happy with my purchase, as I am sure CX-30 owners are with theirs.
The Germans and the Japanese are VERY detail oriented. That being said, I took a test drive in a CX-30 and could not see any difference in build quality as that from the Japanese-built CX-5 I own.

Back