Is latest CX-5 quieter and more HP than 2013?

lumpyhammock

:
Mazda CX-5
I have a 2013 CX5. Like it a lot. Want to upgrade if possible, but CX9 is too big. Looking for quieter, more powerful ride. Is the 2016 or 2017 better?
Thanks

2013 CX-5 only had the 2.0L engine with 155HP / 2.0L is still available in Sport model but 2.5L with 184HP was introduced in 2014 model year.

IMO: Subjectively a little quieter (had a service loaner for a day).... more safety toys to option up & newer nav ....and slightly more refined interior with '16 or later. 2017 specs haven't been released yet. 2018 redesign will be out sometime next year.

Yes, it is a little more refined, a tad quieter, more powerful (~30hp), better infotainment, more standard safety features.

We got our first one back in 3/2012, a 2.0 FWD, then a 2015 AWD with the 2.5, and now the 2016.5 AWD. I really have enjoyed the AWD on the road in daily use.

The only thing I miss about the first one is the special BLUE painted engine cover they did for 2013, and the 2.0 FWD's higher miles per gallon.

In just over one week we will know all of the details of the coming new 2017 CX-5, being released at the LA autoshow.

Last edited:
I have a 2013 CX5. Like it a lot. Want to upgrade if possible, but CX9 is too big. Looking for quieter, more powerful ride. Is the 2016 or 2017 better?
Thanks

I would wait for the next generation, if not in 2017, by 2018.

If your CX-5 has been reliable and is working in terms of size. I agree - hang on save some cash and when the new one comes out buy it - although I see that the 2017 pricing is much higher - I was not expecting that - so you will pay a premium to get the newer generation. Having said that you will find some really good packages - the 3 has BSM and RCTA at a sub 20K MSRP - that is very good offering and for folks who want good entry level safety features its a nice addon.

While in to drive a couple of 6 GTs this week, the dealer sales person mentioned that the factory rep had hinted that the 2.5T engine might be available in additional, as yet to be identified model/s. What do you think... a MazdaSpeed 3 &/or 6? ...CX-5? or???
Also, the '17 M6GT with it's additional sound deadening and acoustic glass is dramatically quieter than the pre-17 models. I imagine it's safe to assume that those features would be present in the new CX-5 as well. And the G-Force Vectoring absolutely works as advertised.

Last edited:
If your CX-5 has been reliable and is working in terms of size. I agree - hang on save some cash and when the new one comes out buy it - although I see that the 2017 pricing is much higher - I was not expecting that - so you will pay a premium to get the newer generation. Having said that you will find some really good packages - the 3 has BSM and RCTA at a sub 20K MSRP - that is very good offering and for folks who want good entry level safety features its a nice addon.

Where did you find pricing information for the 2017 redesign?

2013 CX-5 only had the 2.0L engine with 155HP / 2.0L is still available in Sport model but 2.5L with 184HP was introduced in 2014
2017 specs haven't been released yet. 2018 redesign will be out sometime next year.

We have the 2.5l here from late 2015 with 192HP - my 2.2l diesel 175HP chipped to 210HP runs up to 230km/h no engine limit at 205km/h like all have ;-) maybe you can just pimp your ride a bit to suite your needs with the more powerful engine.
Alu Buthyl is perfekt material to deaden the sound from the engine and the outside noise. The Bose Soundsystem makes a far better job afterwords as well!

Cheers 101

While in to drive a couple of 6 GTs this week, the dealer sales person mentioned that the factory rep had hinted that the 2.5T engine might be available in additional, as yet to be identified model/s. What do you think... a MazdaSpeed 3 &/or 6? ...CX-5? or???
Also, the '17 M6GT with it's additional sound deadening and acoustic glass is dramatically quieter than the pre-17 models. I imagine it's safe to assume that those features would be present in the new CX-5 as well. And the V-Force Vectoring absolutely works as advertised.

Yes Mazda already did this sound deadening and acoustic glass upgrades for the CX-5 model when they released the 2016 Updated and refreshed model. Mazda then waited until 2017 for the mazda3 and mazda6.

Isn't that actually 192 PS / 189 hp?

Were recommended fuel requirements on your old petrol model high octane?

Curious if this is a hidden 5HP on a NA model which recommends low octane fuel.

We have the 2.5l here from late 2015 with 192HP - my 2.2l diesel 175HP chipped to 210HP runs up to 230km/h no engine limit at 205km/h like all have ;-) maybe you can just pimp your ride a bit to suite your needs with the more powerful engine.
Alu Buthyl is perfekt material to deaden the sound from the engine and the outside noise. The Bose Soundsystem makes a far better job afterwords as well!

Cheers 101

Yes the new models are a bit quieter but the stock tires on the sport and touring are fairly noisy and not all that great. The ones that come on the option 19s are a bit better. I liked the updated interior much more than the previous models as well. The performance factor isn't much different though. It is a good difference between the 2.0 and the 2.5 if that's what you would be coming from. We have a 2016.5 Touring but drove a few older ones as well.

Cheers 101

Wilkommen. Kennst du orange virus tuning? Das ist viel besser als ein "chip". Du kannst mehr macht von das Motor mit ECU tuning. Custom tune mit dpf/egr delete hunderte parameters gandert fur seinen cx5 und umwelt.

Wilkommen. Kennst du orange virus tuning? Das ist viel besser als ein "chip".

Thank youuuu.
Ok there is no chip installed inside my car, we updated the software with new parameter so that there are more/better NM torque in the lower section. It speeds up far better then any pedal box we tryed and got also a much higher endspeed. One guy let read out the result with around 210hp. I drove almost 230kmh with the CX-5 on German Autobahn were it was easily possible.

We love our AIR

regards 101

Where did you find pricing information for the 2017 redesign?

Seeing the 2017 I am more confident that the trim to trim price rise will be $ 2k or so. 17 has so much going for itself. Maybe Mazda took a hint at the # of GTs being sold that their target audience wont mind paying for mid 30K price for fully loaded vehicles.

Thanks

We now have a 2013 and 2016.5.

The 2016.5 has more power - and it is noticable, especially when combined with the automatic's Sport Mode.

The 2016.5 also seems noticably quieter than our 2013, though it also has 45,000ish less miles on it :)

Isn't that actually 192 PS / 189 hp?

Were recommended fuel requirements on your old petrol model high octane?

Curious if this is a hidden 5HP on a NA model which recommends low octane fuel.
Not only Euro SkyActiv-G 2.5L is programmed for higher octane (RON 97/ AKI 92) gasoline, but also it has higher 14:1 compression ratio. The result is 5 more hp than US SA-G 2.5L.

I don't believe the 2.
5 comes in a 14:1 version. Also it's a limited market engine

How has it affected the fuel consumption?
Has there been a torque increase.

Thank youuuu.
Ok there is no chip installed inside my car, we updated the software with new parameter so that there are more/better NM torque in the lower section. It speeds up far better then any pedal box we tryed and got also a much higher endspeed. One guy let read out the result with around 210hp. I drove almost 230kmh with the CX-5 on German Autobahn were it was easily possible.

We love our AIR

regards 101

Back