Is it required to replace the caliper spring when changing pads?

Clicky

I noticed in the guide that it said to install a new spring clip (item 1 in the diagram below). Is this required, or can I reuse? I have a 2013 Mazda5 Touring.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6073931

aqubu6y5.jpg

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

i reused mine when i replaced the brakes on my 2008 model two or three years ago. still running great.

I would not replace it unless it seems to be fatigued or had to be bent to come out. Its designed to help hold the caliper square to the rotor and provide even brake pad application. Whenever you reinstall it put some anti-sieze in the holes in the caliper. They tend to rust into those holes and make it difficult to remove.

agreed with the other two, no need to replace unless clearly damaged. i also reused mine when i did by brakes a while back

I just did the front pads and they came with new springs. I didn't see any reason not to reuse the old ones. On one side it was hard to get the spring back on - I had to hook the bottom part on first, then the top

What everyone said esp. the rusted little bugger. Another point is to avoid after maker retainer springs. The don't fit as well.

Back