Is it just me? The Protege5 goes thru headlight bulbs like its food

Kind of an old thread but did anyone figure out what's really going on with the low beam bulbs? I replaced both my low beams and neither of them even lasted a week.
Carefully installed, didn't touch the glass, clip securely holding bulb in headlight assembly...

my bulb has lasted me over 7 years now. one thing that is did was to clean them with 100% alcohol before installing and made sure i did not touch them,

this go for any bulb, dont assume that the guy that put them in the box did not touch the bulb

what burns them a lot of time is the oil in our fingers and the heat burning the oil and when we turn on the lights

I'm certain it's been mentioned multiple times, but for those not wanting to look back through the thread: Dielectric grease on both the adapter and bulb prongs will make the bulb last longer, help the wiring harnesss not get so hot that the white color literally looks burned, and ease extraction of the bulb when it does fail. My bulbs failed yearly until I started using the grease.

I did notice the metal in the connectors looked kind of dull, and on the tabs of my new bulbs after only a week... maybe there is something to having dielectric grease on there... if it was oil or moisture on the bulb I am pretty sure my bulb glass would not look perfectly clean/clear/new... just missing some filimemt.

Latest posts

Back