iPod issue READ FIRST please

njcarguy

:
14 CX-5
I have what I believe is a Gen 6 iPod. It's a classic with the touch wheel and holds 160 gb. I currently only have 1700ish songs on it.
I bought my '14 CX 5 about 5 weeks ago. The issue I'm having now, started about 4 days ago. My iPod stopped reading. I'll either get the iPod Reading screen or absolutely nothing at all accept the blue background. This happened one other time where the iPod wouldn't load. However, I turned off the car that time and turned it back on and it started to play. Now, it wont play at all.
I've...
unplugged and plugged the iPod back in
I've left the iPod unplugged for a day and plugged it back in
I've disconnected the battery for 30 min and reconnected it
I've pushed the "iPod" tab on the home menu screen and left it on that for 20 min while driving
I've changed out the wire going into the USB
NOTHING has worked.
I went to the dealer today and told them what I did as far as troubleshoot and they gave me some other ideas (listed already) but nothing has worked.
As for the iPod itself...I'd love to say I submerge it in water or throw it downstairs as those would make good reasons as to why it doesn't work. I don't do those thing however. The iPod only leaves my car when I have to download new music. There is NOTHING wrong with the iPod. It downloads music and plays just fine. I navigate through the menus and every other function without a problem.
Has anyone else run into this conundrum?

I cannot get my iPod to play either. I tried restarting it, disconnect and reconnect and nothing. The iPod reads it is ok to disconnect. For some reason the head unit is not reading the iPod.

it's going to the dealership on wed. I'm a little frustrated with it not working. I'm pretty sure the dealership will wind up replacing the HU.

I just got back from the dealer and the technician told me there was no fix for my problem. He said that according to Mazda, my iPod shouldn't have been playing for as long as it did. Apparently, my iPod classic is too "new" for the headunit. The design software (for the newer head units) was updated after Dec '13 to incorporate more phones and less music devices. This is what I was told by the tech from Mazda. So, I have an iPod that used to work in my car but doesn't now.
A phone call to Mazda HQ will be made because I'm frustrated with this "fix" or more accurately, a lack thereof.

Thanks for keeping us informed. I am kinda of surprised that Mazda is actively seeking ways to make devices like the iPod less compatible with their head unit. It doesn't seem logical or well thought out. I have a 2015 and my iPod doesn't work at all with the HU, so I guess Mazda succeeded.

I just got back from the dealer and the technician told me there was no fix for my problem. He said that according to Mazda, my iPod shouldn't have been playing for as long as it did. Apparently, my iPod classic is too "new" for the headunit. The design software (for the newer head units) was updated after Dec '13 to incorporate more phones and less music devices. This is what I was told by the tech from Mazda. So, I have an iPod that used to work in my car but doesn't now.
A phone call to Mazda HQ will be made because I'm frustrated with this "fix" or more accurately, a lack thereof.

Sounds to me like the technician was trying to BS you on a problem he has no true answer for. His statement isn't logical at at. Why would Mazda software designer try to dissuade iPod usage when there is a separate folder/tab labeled IPOD on the touch screen?! That's like going to Frank's Hamburger Shack, ordering a hamburger and they say "sorry, order something else, we're phasing out hamburgers"!

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a 4th generation IPOD. Dealer replace the Bluetooth module under warranty per TSB 09-003/14. All is well.

Sounds to me like the technician was trying to BS you on a problem he has no true answer for. His statement isn't logical at at. Why would Mazda software designer try to dissuade iPod usage when there is a separate folder/tab labeled IPOD on the touch screen?! That's like going to Frank's Hamburger Shack, ordering a hamburger and they say "sorry, order something else, we're phasing out hamburgers"!
Yes, half sounds like BS. Being who I am (stubborn), I called Mazda HQ. I was directed to a site and I'm sure this is in the owners manual as well. I have a 6th Gen iPod classic 160 gb. According to www.mazdahandsfree.com my device isn't compatible with the HU. The 120 gb version, not mine. Whether or not he pulled it out of his ass, it does corroborate what he's saying. The only option I have is to get the Aux cable and manual use the iPod. Annoying, but a temporary fix.
MVAN, I was told either the USB bug, Bluetooth module or HU would have to be replaced. Guess what? None were replaced. I am miffed about the situation but it is a mountain from a molehill. I'll adapt and overcome and try to figure something else out. Would I would like to do is to get the regional manager out to Mazda and talk to him.

It actually doesn't surprise me that iPod compatibility would be hit and miss. Dedicated music player sales have been plummeting for the last few years as phones have taken over most people's music playback duties. When the CX-5 was being designed I imagine there was still a lingering idea that iPod functions made sense, but there wouldn't have been any pressing reason to keep any of that up to date or spend much time on fixing problems, given the realities of how Mazda's customers are likely to be using the system. Sucks for the people who devices are being abandoned, but I'd really prefer Mazda to get on the USB and Bluetooth issues before they give a second thought to iPod issues. By the same token, the iPod related stuff on the UI is just a vestige of that earlier time, and it would take man hours to strip it out, so I wouldn't expect any revisions until they do a complete UI overhaul (which hopefully will be available without having to get a new car!).

Last edited:
I suspect the real issue is that Apple wants a crap load of money from ANY company that wants to integrate their product and the companies don't want to comply (I agree). There should be a set fee or whatever and apply should be happy to oblige due to the fact that they're getting advertisement which in turn will bring in more sales.

Back