Intercooler size/piping

mattxhand

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
What is the largest FMIC I would be able to fit on a 2003.5 without cutting the crash bar? Also, if I were to get a universal piping set, what pieces would be needed to run the IC? Can anyone direct me on a good source to get it from cheap as well? Everyone can talk their s***, buy I'm probably going to go with the Ebay FMIC.(boobs)

CX racing sells a good universal kit. Make sure you get the set with the 2 U bends.

Google cx racing.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Is this the one you meant?
3.jpg

If so, which intercooler would go best with that on the MSP?

theres a link in my sig with SCADS of info on the topic. About the biggest core without modifiying the crash bar is 5" tall by 21" wide or so (plus endtanks). you can get a 6" tall, but it sticks down behind the bottom of the bumper and thus isn't very useful.

JUST WHO I WANTED TO REPLY! I'm looking at a 7"one right now. How would I modify the crash bar to fit it?

you knew you wanted me to reply? why didn't you just ask me!? lol

I would say if you cut about 1.5" off the bottom of the crash bar (So you'd be cutting out a piece that would end up being a U-channel) and then cut off the sides of the "U", you could weld the bottom piece back on, and sacrifice a minimal amount of strength (assuming that through all this you didn't horribly temper the steel and you welded it in well). You could also use a couple of scraps of the cut off section to fill in the end gaps... which would clean up the final product.

Awesome! I guess I was just being lazy. I'll probably end up putting pictures up just to make sure I'm not trashing everything. I have to wait on doing it though because I broke a swaybar bracket :(

i fit a 7inch w/out modding the crash bar BUT, had to dremel a lot of the front bumper cover, right up until its almost visible. its mean though. i like it :)
and +1 for cxracing...

Okay. Considering out of all of the advice you've given me, I'm buying this one in a matter of minutes

4t0k1y.jpg

Any last words?

I didn't have an option on piping size. Everything with a 2.5" was way too big. I found some 2.25" piping for a decent price too.

Back