Intake and Exhaust Cams

alec172

I'm looking into buying the j-spec intake cam and mazdaspeed exhaust cam.

I know a lot of you guys/girls out there already change them and I want to know if you ever had backfires after. That you have only the intake or exhaust or both, all inputs are appreciated.

I assume i would be preferable to change injectors/fuel pump at the same time to get the true benefits of the intake cam (correct me if im wrong).
:confused:

i was looking into them as well..just you wait..your going to see a flurry on angry responses on this thread...lots of people have had bad experiences with them..

I've had nothing but good out of them. No backfires. And a fuel pump and injectors would be pointless with them.

Edit: The Mazdaspeed cam is discontinued now, so good luck finding one.

I noticed that a lot of people weren't buying the exhaust cam. Maybe that why it's discontinued. Seems worthwhile to do, since the engine head is removed, change both. Thats only my opinion.

Anyway, know about other exhaust cam? MAybe the j-spec is different too?

Crower was going to make some cams for the 2.0l, but i have'nt heard anything in a while , I have used both cams and never had a backfire..

I have installed both cams, and had no backfire problems only problem is after the tempature changes drasticlly outside have hard start issues. Corksport is going to be making there own version of the exhaust cam since mazdaspeed cams were only a limited run.

You can try SR Motorsports for the Exhaust cam..They go for 199USD. I got both sitting at home right now..just gotta get some time and have them installed.

i went to crowers website and found they will grind your cam for 134 bucks, but the catch is you supply the core cam and i havent the slightest clue where to find them or how much, but at least it gives you a basic idea

Have had them for little over a month. No backfiring and no need for fuel adjustment. They are too mild to need any real changes. You'll need a better exhaust set up to notice any real gains. OH, and intake of course...but seems like you have that covered.

By the intake cam from any place. Take the new cam put it in intake the old intake cam swap it with the exhaust. The duration between the intake and exhaust is slightly diffent.

excuse my ignorance cdglow, but is it my understanding that you can technically buy two intake camshafts and use one for the exhaust?

RazorP5 said:
excuse my ignorance cdglow, but is it my understanding that you can technically buy two intake camshafts and use one for the exhaust?
well you buy 1 intake cam, and reuse your old intake cam as well, yes.

ok, i think i understand...so would you see a performance gain by using your stock intake camshaft in the exhaust camshaft position?

well i think they have different specs, so im assuming the stock intake cam has better specs then the stock exh?

does anyone know the specs, on BOTH cams?

thats the only way we will know if they will do any good...i guess

igdrasil said:
Why not leave the exhaust camshaft in place instead of replacing it if they are the same?
:confused:

because the intake and exhaust cam isn't the same. the intake is open when the exhaust is closed, but when you put the intake on the exhaust side, it causes a more advanced timing, since it's meant for intake, the exhaust port will be open when normally the intake valves would be open. The intake valves will rely on the aftermarket cam's timin.

Back