Instructions for HID Bulb Change

Hey Guys,

I bought some DDM D4S 12,000K Bulbs for my wife's 2013 CX-5. I wanted to see if anyone has changed their bulbs. I heard it's a PITA. Let me know if there is anything specific I should do to make it easier.

Thanks!

Someone posted on this in one of the lighting threads. Look under accessories and appearance. Led lighting thread that became general. Also try usinf search for HID or Xenon to find it.

According to the service manual you have to remove the fuse/relay box to get to the left headlight bulb and you need to remove the washer tank bracket to get to the right headlight bulb.

Covers and igniters are both turned counter clockwise to remove.

No other cautions listed in the manual other than the usual disconnect battery and don't touch the bulb.

I know to each their own but 12K is really pretty blue. I have a friend who loves blue and he is putting after HID's market in his truck. I tried to warn him that he may be asking for a citation if they are not aimed correctly AND are blue. Personally, I like the nice bright white of the 4500 to 5500K bulbs. I mentioned in another thread that I put DRL leds in yesterday and WOW are they a worthwhile add on.
John

It's going to look damn blue and purple... No idea how people drive with those lights.

OK So, here is my write-up for this:

It was much easier for me to remove the clips and screws on the fender wells because I was doing the Fog Lights Also.

There is a black Cover that needs to be removed with a counter clockwise turn.

There is a Silver Ballast Cover that needs a 1/3 turn counter clockwise.

The Bulbs are held in by a clip with two round nubs on it. Push them in and towards the center of the bulb. The clip will fold down.

Pull out bulb.

Do the reverse for the install.

I used 12,000k D4S Bulbs for the uppers and 12,000k H11's/Ballasts for the Fog Lights.

w051y0.jpg

Last edited:
I dont see the appeal in high K lights. Horrible color, (purple headlights??) And most of all less usable light for actual night driving. I would go 5000 white but not more.

Well if you are putting 12,000K in, then by all means touch the bulb with your fingers, it will burn out faster and we won't have to look at the God-awful light. Regardless of what you think, 12,000K is not for anyone who drives on the street and cares to see at night without annoying others. Anything above 4,300K is a waste. I will not give crap to people with up to 6,000K unless they are a personal acquaintance, but if you are gong to put anything higher than 6,000K in...especially over 10,000K, put your flame suit on because here comes the hate :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back