Changing Interior Lights to LED

:
Fredericton Canada
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I am about to change the incandescent bulbs in the Vanity, Map, Dome and Cargo lights on my 2018 CX-5 to LED. Now, I am quite certain that the Map, Dome and Cargo LED's are the same and my local auto supply store carries the replacement bulbs made by Sylvania with a part number of DE3175. Can anyone confirm if this is the right number and length. Now I also took the Vanity lens cover off and see that it has a different style of bulb than the other lights , BUT, none of my local auto supply shops have a listing for a Vanity light for a CX-5. Does anyone have a part number for a Vanity LED bulb replacement?? Unfortunately my manual has no mention of part numbers and my Mazda dealer couldn't provide me with one either. (uhm)

The interior light bulbs are the same between gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5s. I use the following LEDs for vanity mirrors found on the eBay. You really dont want white LEDs on vanity as your wife wont be happy when shes looking at the mirror.

There're low-priced LEDs having 2800K color temperature which looks like the same as standard incandescent bulb but can be brighter. I found this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect which looks the same as OEM light but brighter:
s-l400.jpg

Sorry theres no part number. And I bought the LED set for the interior and license plate back in 2015 from eBay and all of them still work fine.

All CX-5 interior LED kit will fit 2016 MY. I use this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) from eBay because they use newer and brighter 5730 rectangular LED chips:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I did install license plate LEDs from the kit. They look nice with white color and aren't brighter than original 5W bulbs. I also used two "spare" bulbs for reverse lights. They look much better with white color but the light outputs are not stronger than original 18W 921 bulbs.

I used this https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) for vanity mirror on the sun visors for "warm glow" effect:
s-l400.jpg

Personally I'd like to find 29mm festoon LEDs to match the original bulb length but those are hard to find for cheap prices and it's more difficult to put in 4 or 6 LED cells for brighter light. With 31mm LEDs you have to bend some end and side clips a bit but it's doable and won't hurt anything. Also be aware the "prying tool" included in some Amazon or eBay kits is useless! It's too thick and sometimes you're better off by having two pries to pop open the light cover. I use this prying tool set from China with decent results:
615ofhC6PvL._SL1000_.jpg

The interior light bulbs are the same between gen-1 and gen-2 CX-5*s. I use the following LEDs for vanity mirrors found on the eBay. You really don*t want white LEDs on vanity as your wife won*t be happy when she*s looking at the mirror.

Sorry there*s no part number. And I bought the LED set for the interior and license plate back in 2015 from eBay and all of them still work fine.

I'm curious to know if there is a name for the style of bulb used in the vanity lights vs the map, dome and cargo lights other the just "festoon". You may be right, "cool white" LED colours at around 5000-6000K may be too harsh in vanity lights and the 2800K that you suggest may be the way to go.

Now, the salesman that sold me my new 2018 CX-5 told me that the 2019 CX-5 Signature series vehicles have LED interior lights and maybe they are compatible with other CX-5 models and years. Unfortunately when I spoke to my dealer's parts guy he had no listing for Signature interior lights and I would need a VIN number to look it up. My salesman hopes to do that for me. Does anyone know if the new Signature series bulbs are compatible??

Last edited:
most probably yes, but price would be too high.

found this from cx9 signature
Reading Lmp Bulb - Mazda (G46M-51-4C5) $30.44

Judging by the price it probably LED.

Festoon is the style. I'm pretty sure the common model name is DE3175, but to be certain all you have to pop one out and measure the length. I'm fairly certain they're 31mm, but again search to confirm or measure for yourself.

It won't be worth trying to source and use OEM parts. Swapping bulbs is cheap and easy if you want LED.

I'd recommend not bothering with the visor lights. For how much they're used and they're purpose the standard type bulbs are easier on the eyes.

I'm fairly certain they're 31mm
The OEM interior incandescent bulbs are 29mm in length, but the aftermarket LED equivalents are mostly 31mm. You basically have to force a little bit on bulb socket making the contacts wider to install the LED.

most probably yes, but price would be too high.

found this from cx9 signature
Reading Lmp Bulb - Mazda (G46M-51-4C5) $30.44

Judging by the price it probably LED.

$30.44...OUCH!!! That is a brutal price for one bulb. I just bought a DE3175 LED (the same as used in the map, dome and cargo) for $13 at a local auto parts store up here in Canada.

I'd recommend not bothering with the visor lights. For how much they're used and they're purpose the standard type bulbs are easier on the eyes.

You may be right, I rarely use the light in the drivers side visor, BUT, my wife often uses the passenger side visor and says it's not that bright. CONCLUSION: Happy wife happy life, SO, I think I may upgrade my visor bulbs if I can find them here in Canada. I just need a brand and number to start my search.

Last edited:
Back