Installed Pioneer X930BT in my Mazda2

Kags1969

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport
I just finished installing a Pioneer X930BT in my Mazda2. I used a Kanatech install kit and it was a very straight forward install. One nice thing is that Mazda has put a VSS wire in the stock stereo harness in the 2011's. I took a bunch of pics of the install if anyone is interested. Now I just need a Mazda2 Splash screen...

mazda2pioneer 024a.jpg
mazda2pioneer 022a.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd love to see the install pics. I'll be installing a new Double-DIN deck in my wifes car in the near future and it would be great to have some direction for removing the stock head unit etc.

Thanks!

i know this may be weird but did you weigh the stock set up vs the new set up? if its not that much heavier i might want to do this

Here are some pics. I am a bit tired but can add narrative later....

Step one: pull the glove box.

attachment.php

Step two: Remove the bolt (White Arrow) that hold the stereo in place....

attachment.php

Step three: Remove both side panels. They have one of those funny fasteners that you have to pull the center section out first and then the whole fastener comes loose.

attachment.php

Step four: remove the two screws that hold the center column in place. One drivers side, one passenger side.

attachment.php

Step five: screw the shift knob off then pull on the top of the center console. The center console breaks into two pieces. The part around the shift knob and the rest.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• mazda2pioneer 001.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 001.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 12,121
  • mazda2pioneer 002.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 002.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 11,997
  • mazda2pioneer 003.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 003.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 11,949
  • mazda2pioneer 007.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 007.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 12,035
  • mazda2pioneer 008.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 008.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 11,946
Last edited:
more pics

Step six: unscrew two screws that hold radio in, directly below the faceplate by the shifter....

Step seven: pry the plastic side cover from the dash. Start in a corner and pry a little till you get the snaps to start popping loose and work your way around. You have to pull this to get the stereo out.

attachment.php

Pic of the panel
attachment.php

Back of the panel. On the drivers side, I just pulled the side closest to the radio and was able to get the radio out and new one in without having to pull the drivers side panel.

attachment.php

Two little metal clips hold the hazard signal switch, so pop it off and put in your new stereo surround

attachment.php

The instrument cluster pod just pulls off with a firm tug. I placed my gps antenna as it looked like a good spot......

attachment.php

Attachments

• mazda2pioneer 009.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 009.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 11,775
  • mazda2pioneer 010.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 010.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 11,702
  • mazda2pioneer 011.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 011.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 11,665
  • mazda2pioneer 014.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 014.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 11,696
  • mazda2pioneer 016.JPG
    mazda2pioneer 016.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 11,606
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Is that an antenna adapter you have there? Or is that the factory antenna plug?

No worries. It is a Honda Antenna adapter. I will be glad to answer any questions if I am able...

Thanks for the pics and the description of the process! Extremely helpful stuff!

I am not sure which one as I just took my old head unit to Best Buy and told them I thought it was a Honda adapter. I remember the package saying 2005+....

Did you have to cut any supports? Crutchfield says the rear support needs to be cut in order for this to fit.

I wonder if I can keep my steering wheel controls?

Looks amazing...am interested if steering wheel controls work as well?

Out of curiosity, can you tell what manufacturer makes the factory headunit? In the Mazda 3, Panasonic, Sanyo and Clarion made them.

Thanks again for this write up. I'm in the process of tearing down my 2 and this is making it super easy! You really have to pull the hell out of that glove box!

Did you have to cut any supports? Crutchfield says the rear support needs to be cut in order for this to fit.

I wonder if I can keep my steering wheel controls?

Just bumping this thread to find out if you needed to cut the rear support.

I am installing a Pioneer AVIC-U310 into my wife's new 2 and just bought the Scosche kit. Anyone have any experience with it?

if i do install a double din nav unit into my M2 will i be able to retain the steering wheel controls? or do those become useless?

Back