Installed new CS Big Brake Callipers

:
Mazdaspeed3, Mazda2 Yozora Ed., RX-8 R3
Purchased these last week, arrived on tuesday, but couldn't get to them till this morning..

The box
IMG_1277.JPG

Well packed:
IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

Mounted on the bracket:
IMG_1284.JPG

Two fittings not mentioned in the instructions:
IMG_1285.JPG

Behind the wheels:
IMG_1286.JPG

Tight clearances:
IMG_1287.JPG

Better angle of them on the car itself:
IMG_1288.JPG

So i was driving around today doing errands and such after bedding in the brakes. Nothing too heavy (didn't want the LCBO box to get damaged or anything..)

First impressions:

Pedal travel before braking feels 'engaged' is far greater. (I think this was discussed being a predicted effect of the larger piston area)

It feels like it doesn't really engage till about half-way down.

Once it engages- Buttery smooth. No noise, no roughness, no initial 'bite'. Engagement is super smooth and braking feels linear and very controllable. Pedal feel is very solid. Didn't have to panic stop or really hammer on it hard, but I did have to do a little bit of fancy braking on the 401 in traffic and it all felt very controlled and easy to modulate. Again, very linear.

Can't comment on dusting yet, but given how much my OEM brakes dusted, I'll know in a day or two :-\

I'm really excited to play with different pad compounds with these. I will say the overall 'feel' other than the pedal travel is very similar to OEM, just a bit smoother and more linear. I might go to a compound with a bit more initial bite.

I'll try and get them hot and bothered this weekend on the back roads and see how they feel. So far, quite happy!

Back