Input wanted: Buy used '08 or new '09?

Mr5ive

Mr5ive
:
'13 CX5 Touring
Hi folks. We sold our 5-speed '06 Sport last week, and are looking at 2 potential replacements (both are silver):

Option 1 is a 2008 Touring model with a 5-speed (yes, it really is an '08 Touring with a 5-speed). It has 37k miles, and is listed at $13,500. It's got some cosmetic issues, but nothing major. I haven't started haggling on price yet, so I don't know whether that's a firm number.

Option 2 is a new 2009 Sport model with a 5-speed with no options. Our out-the-door price with tax, title, registration and miscellaneous dealer padding is $17,800.

Since we only had 37k miles on our '06, we don't really know what to expect from the '08 going forward. Any ideas on what kind of issues we might run into between 37k miles and 67k miles? Since the mileage has put it outside the regular warranty, I have some concerns that future repair bills might eat into the ~$4k difference in the purchase prices. That said, it would be pretty cool to have a sunroof and all that Touring stuff while still having a clutch pedal.

I'd appreciate any and all input.

I would buy the 09...
4000$ difference for:
- a full warranty
- no hidden problems
- you could get some accessories/options for free when negotiating (if not a price reduction).

OK I admit that the touring package is interesting - BUT - if you did 37k miles in 3 years, do you need all of the touring package?

I just bought a 2009 Canadian GS - no options - manual tranny. I got a 2500$ rebate + 0% for 5 years. They needed to get it off the lot so that the 2010's could come in... all that with the new car smell. I used the 2500$ to add things that I would actually use in the car.

Hi everyone,

Just to make sure I understand properly,

Mr5ive wrote:
Since we only had 37k miles on our '06

x10dude wrote:
37K for an '08 is alot of miles. There's not alot of warranty left on it.

OK for 37k for both 06 and 08. 37,000 miles = about 60,000Km.

60,000Km works out to about 20,000Km/year... normal driving.

I used to do that distance in one year - working 5 days a week 80Km to work and another 80Km from work + shopping and stuff. Mostly highway driving and I would evaluate at 65% easier on the car than stop and go in town.

As an example, with the same car, the same driver (me and my car) :
- year 1 and 2 I did 120,000Km (74,000miles) - then I changed the front brake pads. I put the original parts from the dealer.

- year 3 I did 35,000Km (21,700miles) all city driving and changed the brake pads again.

All of that said, I would still go for the 09... there must be a rebate to get the 09 off the lot? Either save some money to get the price of the 09 down, or take the rebate and get accessories for the M5.

Go to the dealer you would most likely buy the vehicle from with price quotes from 2-3 Mazda competitors.... and have fun doing so.

Hi everyone,

Just to make sure I understand properly,

x10dude wrote:
37K for an '08 is alot of miles. There's not alot of warranty left on it.

OK for 37k for 08. 37,000 miles = about 60,000Km.
60,000Km works out to about 20,000Km/year... normal driving.

I think you got it wrong. I was referring to the '08 Sport with 37K miles on it. (actually the normal warranty runs out at 36K)

That's 37,000 miles in one year? Ok, perhaps a little over a year, but the calendar year still says 2009.

That's normal? That's typical? Man, you must drive a alot!

Last edited:
Hi x10dude,

I said that 20,000Km/year is normal, that is 1/3 of 37,000miles - thus 12,333miles or so per year.
THAT is normal driving for me.

I admit that I wrote it wrong.

What I said is that I ONCE drove 60,000Km/year (the equivalent of 37,000miles per year). In my book that is all highway driving...

I also demonstrated with the brake pad change that highway driving produces less wear and tear (mechanically speaking) than the same mileage in city driving.

At the end, the main question is (simply said) :
Would you buy a one year old car with 3 years of mileage or a brand new one if the difference in price is 4000$.

My answer still remains to buy a new one. But do not be afraid of the one year old if you are more comfortable with the price.

Last edited:
Hi x10dude,

I said that 20,000Km/year is normal, that is 1/3 of 37,000miles - thus 12,333miles or so per year.
THAT is normal driving for me.

I admit that I wrote it wrong.

Ahh, I get it now. Your original post was a bit confusing... :)

My post was just that a 2008 with 37K miles is alot. And I would agree with you. With that many miles on an '08, I'd go with the New one. Since the 08 is out of warranty already, a few repairs would wipe out any savings.

Take the '09 Sport.

Full warranty
You will know how the car's history (how it was treated / maintained)
Parts that wear out, like the clutch and tires, are new
It will be worth more when you eventually sell it
The "new car" factor - you will have the use of a new car.

Look at it this way, if you buy the '09, you will have two or three years of use before it is in the condition that the '08 is currently in.

Get one of those Gran Turismo Bimmers or one of those 535 wagons!! ;)

I'm with the guys above: 09 sounds better, especially for the 08 stated mileage. Only thing I would be interested in the Touring would be the sunroof, as you can still negotiate the fogs, side skirts and the rear spoiler for the appearance. My 08 Sport came that popular package (no fogs this time as the 06) and me likes a lot...

Last edited:
And don't forget...​

The new car scent is not a tree hung under the mirror !!

It's the real thing....​

(cabpatch)​
Phratt

I'd normally say buy used but with just a $4,000 price difference and the possibility of low interest or 0% financing on the 09, I'd go for the the 09.

Are you sure the 08 Touring isn't a five speed automatic?

I'd normally say buy used but with just a $4,000 price difference and the possibility of low interest or 0% financing on the 09, I'd go for the the 09.

Are you sure the 08 Touring isn't a five speed automatic?

I'm sure it's not a slushbox -- drove it last weekend, and it has a real live clutch pedal. I've negotiated the price for the '08 down to $12,250, so I'm going for that one. Thanks for all the input, but with an almost $5k price differential, my inner cheapskate can't say no.

I'm sure it's not a slushbox -- drove it last weekend, and it has a real live clutch pedal. I've negotiated the price for the '08 down to $12,250, so I'm going for that one. Thanks for all the input, but with an almost $5k price differential, my inner cheapskate can't say no.

So much for taking our input... lol.

BTW, the price differential would not have been $5K since you could have negotiated a much better price on the new 2009.

So much for taking our input... lol.

BTW, the price differential would not have been $5K since you could have negotiated a much better price on the new 2009.

Right, even though the '09 is new, its a year old car and should/could be purchased for below invoice. Its been sitting on the lot for a while and the dealer wants to sell '10s, not year old '09s as new.

Right, even though the '09 is new, its a year old car and should/could be purchased for below invoice. Its been sitting on the lot for a while and the dealer wants to sell '10s, not year old '09s as new.

Yeah, if you check the price thread, you'll see that people are getting the 09 Sport for under $16K... I think everyone would have gone with the new one but the OP is the buyer and it is his choice.

MRFive, the OP, made the right choice with the the 08' touring model. They began selling 08's in sept 2007, so the Touring could be 2 years old.

18000 miles a year is only 3000 more than Mazda sets it's service schedule for (15000 miles/year).

12500 leaves some cash for buying a manufacturer's warranty (3 years 36000 miles for 2 thousand)

09' price was OTD. Not much room to negotiate for anything else like dealer installed options.

Add the value of the sunroof, 17" wheels, fogs etc, and the price of the 09' goes up a couple grand at least.

BTW, as a former car salesman, I was thrilled to sell any car to my customers: new, used, off-year, x-lease, etc. Each car has plusses and minuses that help make the sale.

Back