Infotainment ver. 74.00.230A

Saw that there is version 74.00.230A available for the CX-5. I haven't seen any posts about this version, has anyone tried it? I have a 2019 sig, and from what I can tell it looks like it should be compatible.

I don’t believe it will be. This should be the firmware for native wireless CarPlay which requires the hardware. I would be surprised if this works on any vehicle < 2021.

One thing to note is that the readme file on the HiDrive website is actually written for 70.00.367A and has not been updated for this 74.00.230A

Last edited:
It seem odd to me that they'd give the 2021 Canadian hardware a boost just to change it in the 2021.5 model refresh. Any idea what is required over a 2019 signature. I'd so much rather have a native solution that works with both my Android Auto and my partner's CarPlay.

Updated my 2019 US-spec CX-5 Sig to 74.00.230A NA over the weekend. I've regularly done this to this vehicle and my previous 2016 GT, so comfortable with the process and prefer using the most current official version anyway. Haven't had any issues since the update, but also haven't yet seen anything new or improved (I wasn't having specific problems beforehand). I haven't found a changelog online, so unclear if this firmware is meant to address anything more than wireless CarPlay. I don't have the more recent CMU models that allow WCP, so I wasn't expecting that to function--and in reality, I prefer the wired as I typically want to charge my phone while in my vehicle.

I'm curious if it alleviated any of the lag/sync that exists when using XM or any audio source if you start the car?

@RLCarrington Would you mind testing something out? Just connect your iPhone to your CarPlay port and then start the car. Curious to see how long it takes for XM or any radio source to start.

Even at the 70.00.367, mine takes awhile and sometimes require that I unplug my phone from CarPlay in order to get XM to "kick in".

And I will eat my plate of crow, as I assumed this wouldn't work for any MY < 2021.

Well there seems to be some XM updates in 74.00.230A according to SA-019/21:

1620254933730.png

I guess it needs to be tested if it helps with your issue.

Nice, looks like I'll have to update my 70.00.367A to 74.00.230A on our 2016 CX5 ...
Something doesn't look right with that jump. I have a '16.5 and was thinking the same thing. I wonder if this was put in the wrong folder on HiDrive. I'm thinking that version os for later models on newer infotainment systems.

I think it updates all units, it's the wireless carplay one but of course that feature won't activate on older models ...

Looks like according to versions.ini the files are compatible with the same units:

70.00.367:

[Settings]
CheckCompatibility = 1,"Compat_Section"
Labels = 2,"JCI_SW_VER","DisplayVersion"

[Compat_Section]
Count = 1
1 = CheckLabel,"JCI_SW_VER",1,"[>='MAZ_CMU-140_31.00.000']"

[JCI_SW_VER]
LabelName = "JCI_SW_VER"
LoadLocation = Custom

[DisplayVersion]
LabelName = "DisplayVersion"
LoadLocation = UP
LabelValue = "70.00.367"

74.00.230:

[Settings]
CheckCompatibility = 1,"Compat_Section"
Labels = 2,"JCI_SW_VER","DisplayVersion"

[Compat_Section]
Count = 1
1 = CheckLabel,"JCI_SW_VER",1,"[>='MAZ_CMU-140_31.00.000']"

[JCI_SW_VER]
LabelName = "JCI_SW_VER"
LoadLocation = Custom

[DisplayVersion]
LabelName = "DisplayVersion"
LoadLocation = UP
LabelValue = "74.00.230"

It also looks like folder gnss inside the firmware updates the GPS unit on the vehicle, this is the file included with fixes:

Also looks like some small changes to voice prompts for english/french and possibly other small fixes ...

Last edited:
Is the AA wireless using BT or WiFi? I assume BT. I have WiFi enabled using AIO Tweaks but that's probably moot here.

escape75 - Are you going to install 74.00.230

Yeah I'll install it probably later today :)

I'm guessing it will have a few fixes for us and nothing else. That being the case I don't see using it myself as it will likely break AIO Tweaks. Meaning I'll have to pull out the CMU and hookup the laptop again which is a bit of a PITA.

The only thing I have on mine is the touch screen enabled when driving, I hope it doesn't disable that ...

I'm curious if it alleviated any of the lag/sync that exists when using XM or any audio source if you start the car?

@RLCarrington Would you mind testing something out? Just connect your iPhone to your CarPlay port and then start the car. Curious to see how long it takes for XM or any radio source to start.

Even at the 70.00.367, mine takes awhile and sometimes require that I unplug my phone from CarPlay in order to get XM to "kick in".

And I will eat my plate of crow, as I assumed this wouldn't work for any MY < 2021.

I no longer have Sirius/XM active so I unfortunately cannot check that specifically. Pandora within CP starts up almost immediately but it always did for me.

I have noticed that music starts playing a bit faster and reliably via my existing iOS Shortcut to automatically start a playlist via CarPlay. Previously, I had issues occasionally (maybe every 3-4 uses) where the phone would show that Shortcut being activated but the vehicle itself didn't actually bring up CP or start playing the music. I'd have to disconnect and reconnect the phone to get things working.

Has anyone enabled their touch screen previously while vehicle is moving and did it persist after update?

I used the debug screen on firmware 55.x to enable touch screen, then updated to 70.x and it persisted, so just wondering about 74.x ...

I no longer have Sirius/XM active so I unfortunately cannot check that specifically. Pandora within CP starts up almost immediately but it always did for me.

I have noticed that music starts playing a bit faster and reliably via my existing iOS Shortcut to automatically start a playlist via CarPlay. Previously, I had issues occasionally (maybe every 3-4 uses) where the phone would show that Shortcut being activated but the vehicle itself didn't actually bring up CP or start playing the music. I'd have to disconnect and reconnect the phone to get things working.
Thanks. I’ll give the update a go tomorrow. Certainly couldn’t hurt.

Back