Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

Just got the crack on my 2019 CX-9 after the extremely cold weekend in NJ. There was nothing on it last week. Going to reach out to the dealer now...any body had any luck with the 2019+?

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_190229523.jpg
    PXL_20230206_190229523.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
For the people that got their screens replaced, have they started cracking again? I’m having the same problem in my 2018 and need to get the screen replaced but hope it doesn’t start cracking with the new one.

For the people that got their screens replaced, have they started cracking again? I’m having the same problem in my 2018 and need to get the screen replaced but hope it doesn’t start cracking with the new one.
Yes. my Cx-9 is 2017 and dealer had replaced the screen twice so far because of cracking...

Just came back from dealership. They said my car is out of warranty and nothing they can do. Advised me to call Mazda corporate.

As expected.

Just filed a claim with BBB Auto Line. Let see how it goes...

Last edited:
Just came back from dealership. They said my car is out of warranty and nothing they can do. Advised me to call Mazda corporate.

As expected.

Just filed a claim with BBB Auto Line. Let see how it goes...

That's one lazy dealer. They should have been able to find the TSB related to the issue, then contacted Mazda Corporate directly to open a case on your behalf.

That's one lazy dealer. They should have been able to find the TSB related to the issue, then contacted Mazda Corporate directly to open a case on your behalf.
Yea don't feel like they want to help at all.

Mazda corp responded and they said nothing they can do as TSB doesn't include 2019 with the same defect part and I'm out of warranty. He's so kind to offer me $150 credit toward the fix.

How they handle this and the coolant leak really put me off as future customer. It's going to be my last Mazda.

Last edited:
I've been in constant communication with the service manager of one of my local dealerships regarding my screen. He's told me that they have been waiting for "service exchange kits" for this issue. My understanding is that these kits contain replacement components for owners experiencing this specific issue. I was told they should start receiving them in 4-6 weeks, but who really knows. He also mentioned that they're waiting on 5 or 6 of these kits to come in, which means that their dealership will be replacing the screens for at least 5 other people who have this issue.

My screen did get worse during the cold snap we had about a month ago. I now have 3 corners of the screen showing the spider cracking, but its really only visible when the screen is off. As such, I don't really care how long it takes for them to replace my screen, lol

Just a follow up to this. Screen was replaced today, in and out in less than an hour.

Yes. my Cx-9 is 2017 and dealer had replaced the screen twice so far because of cracking...
Thanks! How long does it take to crack after replacing. I have my original screen and three years after it was made it started to crack. I’m trying to get Mazda to replace but in case they don’t I want to see how long it takes for this issue to reoccur.

Thanks! How long does it take to crack after replacing. I have my original screen and three years after it was made it started to crack. I’m trying to get Mazda to replace but in case they don’t I want to see how long it takes for this issue to reoccur.

It doesn't work like that, the original screen can crack at 10 miles or 100000 miles. If you read the TSB on the first page, it states that some (not all) of the screens are faulty. I think I read somewhere that the internal screws may have been overtorqued, and temperature swings can cause those stress cracks to appear. I'm not 100% sure, but in any case, getting a replacement screen from a used vehicle from 2018 and before means that you could get the issue again down the road.

Thanks all for posting this info and keeping it updated.

My 2016 purchased new with just over 40k and having my optional 10 yr / 100k coverage has this going on.
Before going in to sched my LOF, I was looking to see what I might find out preemptive.

This is always how I handle car issues. Dig up a bit of info first then go see what they say or offer.
The other thing I'll recommend is if need be, go to another dealer to get results. My older CX-7 had a broken fluid-filled engine mount and the dealer here denied a claim. I also knew of the timing chain issues with those motors and was hoping to get a fix before my 125,000 miles were up on warranty. The engine seemed fine but maybe a bit noisy. Hard to say with turbos.
The engine mount was pricey and labor was going to be a $400 total.

I waited a while and went to the other location in town, and asked them about my "noisy motor". They said there was a bulletin on the timing chain (I knew of but didn't go in sounding entitled) and he said they could do the mount under warranty as well. I ended up with a $2200 invoice and out of pocket deductible as my responsibility of $90 or $100.

Always be friendly, smiling and if need be, assertive. I agree there are dealers that won't lift a finger even though Mazda Corp is backing them up as per TSB or warranty considerations.
Ask more than once if you have to. Don't think of others shot down on warranty claims as everybody. Sometimes, case by case situations have something else that might trigger a better outcome.

I once helped a kid out that just moved here in 1998 or 99, far away from family. He looked devastated one day in the shop and I asked what was going on. His fairly newer car was having trans issues and only a few thou out of warranty.
Seemed like he was looking at $4000 or more. I did some quick research and found that the car had a TBS for known trans issues. I talked to the nearby dealer and they were very cool about the known issue and offered some latitude. He was able to get in there for the fix at $600 out of pocket.
If it were my car and problem, I probably wouldn't have been so dang lucky - lol

** My CX-9 got the LOF and is now waiting on the warranty approval and getting the part for the screen.

(y)

I just got off the phone with Mazda corporate for my 2018 cx9 GT and they will not cover my screen. I just filed with BBB.
I also have the 2018 GT. I've been blowing up the phones at corporate. No one gets back to me. I told them that I will be calling them as my morning routine as I sip my coffee. How do you admit that it's a faulty screen in 2016-17, proceed to install the same faulty screen into the 2018-19, but say "Oh no, that's not covered." When it's a newer car?! Infuriating. We need to blow them up non stop with emails and phone calls. Someone had to do some legwork to get the 2016-17 covered under the extended warranty. So let's do the same thing. Bug the crap out of them so they're forced to listen. Also leave a review on mazda dealership with pics to pressure the dealer to fight on our behalf. My whole family drives mazda, but if they refuse to do the right thing with this, then we're done. Never getting mazda again if they care so little for the products and customers.
Also going to try the NHTSA route and make a complaint as well. It's a safety hazard when you need to strain to see your maps, taking your eyes off the road. They were the ones who seemed to have pushed through the last bulletin for the 2016-17. So stay on them! Don't just leave the complaint and forget about it.

I also have the 2018 GT. I've been blowing up the phones at corporate. No one gets back to me. I told them that I will be calling them as my morning routine as I sip my coffee. How do you admit that it's a faulty screen in 2016-17, proceed to install the same faulty screen into the 2018-19, but say "Oh no, that's not covered." When it's a newer car?! Infuriating. We need to blow them up non stop with emails and phone calls. Someone had to do some legwork to get the 2016-17 covered under the extended warranty. So let's do the same thing. Bug the crap out of them so they're forced to listen. Also leave a review on mazda dealership with pics to pressure the dealer to fight on our behalf. My whole family drives mazda, but if they refuse to do the right thing with this, then we're done. Never getting mazda again if they care so little for the products and customers.
Also going to try the NHTSA route and make a complaint as well. It's a safety hazard when you need to strain to see your maps, taking your eyes off the road. They were the ones who seemed to have pushed through the last bulletin for the 2016-17. So stay on them! Don't just leave the complaint and forget about it.
I have been all over their social media pages with my picture. Waiting for BBB and if I get nowhere with that then I will be going to AG and anything else I can. Is so frustrating that they are denying my claim because I don’t have them do any of my maintenance work. I take my car to my own mechanic for all work to be done and this has nothing to do with scheduled maintenance. I have been a repeat customer buying 3 Mazdas, but if they don’t take care of it I will be all set with them as well.

Gather info on cases they covered it, document it and threaten a class action move.
They can't be hodge podge about things like this. My dealer called and left a vm this morning my part is in. I'll be happy if all goes well but.... Had I not purchased an ext warranty, it sounds like this defective item would have tested them covering it and my time and patience if needed to fight it.

Last edited:
Anyone is free to use my photos and posts in here if they want to gather evidence to bolster their own claims!

My 2018 CX-9 now has two spider screen cracks. Upper right corner two years ago and then this year the lower left happened right in front of me. Both occured during below 0 F temps. I am going to check with dealer to see if they will replace and will post back here.

My 2018 CX-9 now has two spider screen cracks. Upper right corner two years ago and then this year the lower left happened right in front of me. Both occured during below 0 F temps. I am going to check with dealer to see if they will replace and will post back here.

Did you report it to the dealer two years ago? You might have been within warranty or close enough that they would have replaced the screen for you back then. For sure check with the dealer and provide the TSB so they have something to reference.

Latest posts

Back