Infant car seat not fitting

Aster1112

:
Mazda 3
I currently own a 3 and am not able to fit my daughters infant car seat in the back unless the person up front slides their seat waaaay up to the point of being uncomfortable and unsafe. Perfect excuse to go test drive the cx-5 I've been dreaming about! But I'm having the same problem! Maybe my infant carrier is oddly long(snugride 30)? Any parents out there that have any recommendations for infant carriers or a convertible car seat in the rear facing position that seem to fit the cx-5?

The cx5 has way more room in the back for leg room (and car seat room) than the mazda 3. You wont have an issue.

On our test drive we tried it out. Still had the same problem. I'm thinking its just my carseat but was curious if anyone else with kids had any luck with a certain one.

I think it could just be your car seat. I've got 2 car seats and they fit just fine. Although my wife who would be the front passenger is on the small side so we can afford to move her seat closer to the front. (lol2)

I took our carseat with us when we test drove vehicles. It is a convertable seat that I installed both forward and rearward facing to check for fit. It had no problem fitting behind either seat (I'm 6'5" so my driver seat is all the way back).

We test drove today and brought our six month old son along. We have a graco snugride 35, fits in the middle great. On the side we did have to move the passenger seat forward a bit.

must be the seat or your driving position. I am 5'11 and fit fine in my 2 with the infant carrier and now the britax child seat rear facing (rear drivers side). It is snug, but that just further reduces moment of my daughters seat. I sit upright with my wrists hitting the top of the wheel when my elbows are locked. If I'm fine in the 2, I can't imagine it wouldn't work in the 3.

The cx5 has way more room in the back for leg room (and car seat room) than the mazda 3. You wont have an issue.

I'd have to disagree - We'll be car shopping in the coming months, as we're now planning #2.

We test fit the rear facing seat yesterday, and it will not allow the front passenger ANY margin of safety. I'm 6' and the wife is 5'9", so leg room is incredibly valuable to us.

We traded in our 2010 Mazda 3 for a CX-5. While I will agree that the CX-5 has a little more room in the back, it is quite a stretch to say "way more". We transferred our rear facing convertible car seat (Britax Marathon 70) from the 3, where I (5'9") could not fit in the passenger seat without my knees hitting the dash, to the CX-5, where I now have about an inch of clearance. I'd say we gained maybe 3-4" of legroom, but it was just enough to at least make it tolerable for me as a passenger, though I would usually rather just drive anyway.

In hindsight, I now really wish I though to try out the SnugRide 35 as well, since we are planning for #2. I had it in my head that it fit better than the Britax does, but now I am remembering that we had it in the middle position. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Its a tight fit! Went from a Malibu to a CX-5, almost like our 9 week old is ridding up front with us. His car seat will only fit in the center of the back seat.

The center is the safest place in a T-bone accident. Too many drivers try to buy a car that fits the child seat they already own. I went to Walmart on a slow day, spoke to the manager and he let me take the demo seats off the floor and try them out in my car until I found the best fit.

We did not have any trouble with the convertible car seat in the Cx-5, but the booster seat does not like to sit in the middle of the backseat in the Cx-5. It likes to tip to one side or the other.

Anybody have problems getting the car's seat belts to stay locked (i.e., can not pull more of the belt out) when used to attach a children's seat? Since I have two car seats side-by-side, I'm not supposed to use the same LATCH hook for two seats so I have to use the car's seat belts for the middle seat. However, during installation once I tug on the belt to get it locked and then put more of the belt back in to make sure the car seat is tight, the belt "unlocks" and you can pull more of the belt again. This results in the car seat to be very loose (on a sharp turn, the seat and child actually tilted by 30 degrees). On my old Protege5, once you lock the seat belt by a fast tug, the only way to unlock it again was to put it totally back in. This is obviously only possible if the belt in unlatched, and then put all the way back. In the CX5, it seems only the slightest amount of seat belt retraction (i.e., to get the child seat tight) unlocks it again.

Back