Illuminated A/C Controls - is this normal?

kcfoxie

:
2009 Mazda5 (manual)
I noticed this morning that the fan control knob's AC light comes on if the AC is on, but the knob itself doesn't illuminate ...unlike the temp control knob or the center mode knob:

feihdt.jpg

Is this normal? If it's not....how would one go about fixing this? I'd assume that a bulb has burned out...?

The same thing happened to me just a few weeks ago. In my case it was really easy to fix, took about 20 minutes. All I needed was a Phillips screwdriver and sharp nails to remove the faceplate. Once I removed the radio control panel I noticed that one of the green LEDs (I do not think they are "bulbs", although I may be wrong) had fallen off its socket. If yours is burned out, I think the stealer (dealer) was quoting me for some CAD $7, although you can get aftermarket LEDs (the colour of your choice) for something like $10 for all of them. I think I had noticed about 5 LEDs of two different socket sizes, possibly 4 and 5 millimeters.

Let me know if you get stuck, I will post more detail.

EDIT: links

1. Google "Default Climate Control Back Light Out - Need Help", the server won't allow me to post the link
2. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Removal-Instructions-(Includes-Aux-Jack-Add)

Last edited:
Stealership is asking about $7.oo US dollars for these tiny incadecent bulbs. Mazda part# is CC5161C95 But they do seem to last along time.

They are a T3 Socket 10MM di base. on a long stalk maybe 25MM tall. Green 12v incandecent bulb not a LED. One might be able to get a 12v LED to work Ive ordered some for a buck and I will post if it works out.

Stealership is asking about $7.oo US dollars for these tiny incadecent bulbs. Mazda part# is CC5161C95 But they do seem to last along time.

They are a T3 Socket 10MM di base. on a long stalk maybe 25MM tall. Green 12v incandecent bulb not a LED. One might be able to get a 12v LED to work Ive ordered some for a buck and I will post if it works out.

Yeah would like to know how it turns out too.

BTW, these bulbs have a plastic cap that makes them green. You can buy other caps on ebay and change the color very easily for the climate controls. I was planning on doing that on my Mazda5 till it got totaled.

You guys are the best. I'm having issues with my AUX cable and am about to bite the bullet and order a GROM BT3 audio adapter (for whatever reason they don't list the 09 as being compatible, but I don't see a difference in the 08 and 09 radios -- and 08 is supported). I'll tackle this at the same time.

Yeah would like to know how it turns out too.

Just installed the three of them. First one worked so well I replaced the two that weren't burned out.

Just is case you try this make sure you have illumination before reassembly, as getting them seated in the sockets is a bit of a pain. The short length doesn't seem to effect how they work which is great!

The E-bay description is in quotes below.

"5 Pcs T3 Green 1210 3528 SMD LED Dashboard Light Lamp Bulb 12V for Car internal"

Just installed the three of them. First one worked so well I replaced the two that weren't burned out.

Just is case you try this make sure you have illumination before reassembly, as getting them seated in the sockets is a bit of a pain. The short length doesn't seem to effect how they work which is great!

The E-bay description is in quotes below.

"5 Pcs T3 Green 1210 3528 SMD LED Dashboard Light Lamp Bulb 12V for Car internal"

Cool. So are there a total of 5 bulbs on that HVAC control?

Last edited:
I changed my from green to white leds the swap was easy you can order t5 led bulbs from ebay and swap them into the mazda5 sockets

null.jpg_zpsrabjng4x.png

The far right one is not as bright due to the led
You can also use the same type of bulb (t5) for the shift pattern the buttons below the ac knobs and the ignition light if any you attempt this i will upload so pics on how to get it done

^Hmm.. on this pic it appears the HVAC leds are brighter than the other back lit buttons. What kind of LEDs did you swap it with? Just curious cuz I believe there are LEDs that are designed particularly for instrumentation purposes..

Back