IIHS ranks Mazda #1 in Small SUV Headlights

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
Upgrading to Mazda's Xenons and now LEDs are options I highly recommend to people looking to purchase a new Mazda. They're really that good and are adaptive. Looks like the IIHS agrees. Interestingly enough they also noticed Mazda's somewhat lowered cutoff.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/most-small-suv-headlights-rate-poor-in-iihs-evaluations

The best-performing headlights in the small SUV group belong to a new model, the Mazda CX-3, and are available on its Grand Touring trim. They are curve-adaptive LED lights with optional high beam assist. The low beams perform well on both right curves and fairly well on the straightaway and sharp left curve; however, they provide inadequate light on the gradual left curve. The high beams perform well on most approaches.

The worst headlights among the small SUVs belong to a different Honda the new-for-2016 HR-V.
The illumination provided by the HR-V's halogen low beams and high beams is inadequate on all four curves and on the straightaway.
The HR-V is one of 12 small SUVs that can't be purchased with anything other than poor-rated headlights.

Real world testing done by me agrees that Honda SUV headlights are very poor. My Mazda CX-5 headlights are very much better than the Honda CRV headlights.

Looks like the LED equipped CX-5 got Marginal score and Halogens got Poor score ...

Just recently came back from a trip through winding road in wooded area.
With the Halogens, I had no visibility issues, including turns. With high beams I had more than I needed in any condition. With low beams, the only issue was seemingly low cut-off point when the road was not flat (on a wall or on the highway it looks OK to me). However, side illumination exceeded my needs.
Other vehicles in my household, some older, definitely perform below the CX-5.

I think the main reason the LED CX-5 didn't get the same score as the -3 is due to the glare.

The P5 was at the top of the scale back in the day. Among all the cars with HIDs, the little Mazda had the best headlights.

(From Consumer Reports)
Consumer Reports said:
We compared 31 cars and trucks with halogen lights and 10 with HIDs, measuring their ability to ligh the road ahead and along the sides as well as checking them for glare.

Six out of 10 vehicles with HIDs and 9 out of 31 with halogens reached the 400-foot marker on our test course with low beams, compared with an average of 335 feet for all models tested.

The farthest so far: the inexpensive, halogen-equipped MAZDA PROTEGE5 Its low beams illuminated our 600-foot marker without creating a glare problem.

Both types of lights produce our worst performers. The HID equipped Audi TT's low beams lit only to our 200-foot marker, while the halogen-equippped Chrysler Sebring and Pontiac Grand Prix provided weak, nonuniform light.

Looks like the LED equipped CX-5 got Marginal score and Halogens got Poor score ...
Wonder why as both LED headlights on CX-5 and CX-3 are very similar...

Yeah, one of the major reasons why we got our CX-5 GT with Tech is because the availability of new LED headlights with AFS.

I just find the marginal score of the CX5 ridiculous. How much better can the lights be? They're bright as hell, crisp white, turn with your car. What am I missing here?? Everyone here has had nothing but positive things to say about those headlights. And I would have to agree. They're fantastic. So what does it take to get a good score?

My 2016 CX5 LED headlights are quite good and I like the auto high beam feature. But they have a sharp cut off so they don't illuminate as far down the road as I would like (but they won't blind other drivers). My reference is a 2002 Acura TL with HID which had a more uniform spread and bright light. And the CX 5 lights have some shadows in the beam spread. So my call is good not great.

One point on the auto high beam. If you are used to manual on/off, you can decide when to switch off. The auto system adds a second or two. So if you are in a turn and need the light for a second, the auto feature can put you i the dark.

I think the next gen will be better and the HID is much better than halogen.

But they have a sharp cut off so they don't illuminate as far down the road as I would like (but they won't blind other drivers).

I agree the cutoff is a bit low. But I have never once been flashed d/t the bright nature of the LEDs. I know it was discussed somewhere about raising the level of the LEDs. I always dismissed it as I thought they were probably good as is, but I do believe they could benefit from a degree or so elevated.

Just recently came back from a trip through winding road in wooded area.
With the Halogens, I had no visibility issues, including turns. With high beams I had more than I needed in any condition. With low beams, the only issue was seemingly low cut-off point when the road was not flat (on a wall or on the highway it looks OK to me). However, side illumination exceeded my needs.
Other vehicles in my household, some older, definitely perform below the CX-5.

Rereading IIHS's scoring system it almost appears like you don't really see any excellent headlight reviews. Mazda's low cut off of the left beam (US specs) was something they didn't like. Fortunately you can adjust the beams BUT I would only do so marginally. Perhaps referencing a leveled street and a wall to aim at DOT specs for SUVs.

Wonder why as both LED headlights on CX-5 and CX-3 are very similar...

Yeah, one of the major reasons why we got our CX-5 GT with Tech is because the availability of new LED headlights with AFS.

Mazda brought their A-game in terms of handling, tech, and style. 2 things crucial imho were lighting and sound deadening. The AFS Xenons and then the AFS LEDs were on point. Good to see Mazda get props. Sound deadening fell short. Next project for me is sound deadening via some Noico sheets.

I just find the marginal score of the CX5 ridiculous. How much better can the lights be? They're bright as hell, crisp white, turn with your car. What am I missing here?? Everyone here has had nothing but positive things to say about those headlights. And I would have to agree. They're fantastic. So what does it take to get a good score?

I do NOT have good things to say about my HID headlights. They are very much NOT fantastic! They are bright, but have poor reach. Even after measuring and raising them several degrees to match the Owner's Manual instructions they still do not light the road as well as the stock, unadjusted halogen headlights in my old 2007 Chevy Colorado.

After the adjustment, they are better, but the severe cut-off makes driving in hilly areas frustrating, especially in my subdivision where people park in the street and I often cannot see a car at a comfortable distance, UNLIKE the Colorado.

As they are, I get the rare flash from other cars, if I'm above them, so I should not raise them further.

Upgrading to Mazda's Xenons and now LEDs are options I highly recommend to people looking to purchase a new Mazda. They're really that good and are adaptive. Looks like the IIHS agrees. Interestingly enough they also noticed Mazda's somewhat lowered cutoff.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/most-small-suv-headlights-rate-poor-in-iihs-evaluations

“The best-performing headlights in the small SUV group belong to a new model, the Mazda CX-3, and are available on its Grand Touring trim. They are curve-adaptive LED lights with optional high beam assist. The low beams perform well on both right curves and fairly well on the straightaway and sharp left curve; however, they provide inadequate light on the gradual left curve. The high beams perform well on most approaches.”

“The worst headlights among the small SUVs belong to a different Honda — the new-for-2016 HR-V.
The illumination provided by the HR-V's halogen low beams and high beams is inadequate on all four curves and on the straightaway.
The HR-V is one of 12 small SUVs that can't be purchased with anything other than poor-rated headlights.”

This is a misrepresentation of the report. I had found it and was about to post the article. Calling the CX-3 "Acceptable" is faint praise and not newsworthy. Calling it "the best", as you did, is calling it the tallest dwarf.

Newsworthy is the accurate, disappointing "Marginal" for the CX-5.

I do NOT have good things to say about my HID headlights. They are very much NOT fantastic! They are bright, but have poor reach. Even after measuring and raising them several degrees to match the Owner's Manual instructions they still do not light the road as well as the stock, unadjusted halogen headlights in my old 2007 Chevy Colorado.
What you observed on beam pattern between Mazda CX-5 and Chevy Colorado is typical difference between ECE/E-code headlights and DOT/SAE headlights. With sharp cut-off beam pattern on our CX-5, it definitely is designed for ECE regulation. When on low-beam, headlights with DOT/SAE standard can see better on higher objects, but have worse glare issue against oncoming drivers; headlights with ECE standard have better beam pattern spread especially toward the right with sharp cut-off, hence have less glare issue.

Of course the nature of LED lighting would be "they are bright, but have poor reach", except those with most advanced (and expensive) LED cells.

It'd be nice if DOT/NHTSA can quickly change our out-of-date headlight regulation in the US so that we can enjoy Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH) like the rest of the world! For those who don't know, ALH is constructed from a matrix of individually dimmable LEDs, each aimed in a different direction. It uses camera and full electronic control to create variety of beam patterns for different situation without any mechanical moving parts for safety and longavity.

This is a misrepresentation of the report. I had found it and was about to post the article. Calling the CX-3 "Acceptable" is faint praise and not newsworthy. Calling it "the best", as you did, is calling it the tallest dwarf.

Newsworthy is the accurate, disappointing "Marginal" for the CX-5.

So to quote the IIHS "The best-performing headlights in the small SUV group belong to a new model, the Mazda CX-3" I think I'll lean towards their report over your opinion. No disrespect of course. I think you missed the IIHS's ongoing goal and strong message. To hold manufacturers to a higher standard in lighting here in the US. What does that mean to all of us as consumers? Well don't be surprised if the IIHS won't award a car (even a safe one) a top safety pick in the future if it has poor lighting (ex. Honda CRV). The IIHS merely setting another new standard (for the US) really. We're behind. The CX-5 and all other cars' headlights were designed to meet standards from yesteryear. Hence marginal scores based on the their latest standards. IIHS is pressuring car manufacturers to step it up from here on out. Takes time for car manufacturers to respond.

The CX-5's headlight metrics are here: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mazda/cx-5-4-door-suv/2016
On the left side click on the link "headlights"

Last edited:
It'd be nice if DOT/NHTSA can quickly change our out-of-date headlight regulation in the US so that we can enjoy Adaptive LED Headlamps (ALH) like the rest of the world! For those who don't know, ALH is constructed from a matrix of individually dimmable LEDs, each aimed in a different direction. It uses camera and full electronic control to create variety of beam patterns for different situation without any mechanical moving parts for safety and longavity.

Having used the CX5 Adaptive LED Headlamps a few times now. I have to say it is among the best LED headlights technology around currently. Only the 2 - 3 times more expensive Euro cars have equivalent technologies.

Back