Identify my stupid brake problem

mark_nb

:
2002 Protege LX
This will likely be long, I'll sum it up at the bottom for the lazy.

This is a strange one people. It's stumped a mechanic and my neighbor who's worked on semis for the last 30 years. Granted, they only had one shot at it each. I just don't want to keep paying someone to take shots in the dark, but I suppose I will if I have to.

I bought the car in May with new pads/rotors. It's an 02 Protege LX, meaning discs up front, trusty drums in the back. Nearly one month to the day later, a weird brake noise surfaced. It started out as a thumping noise I could feel slightly through the pedal. Frequency seemed to go with rotaton of the wheel, the noise only happened under braking and only showed up after about 10 minutes of driving. It sounded and felt almost exactly like running over an empty aluminum can. The used car lot I bought it from has an excellent reputation and offers a 30 day warranty, so I brought it back to them. They were more then happy to look at it but couldn't find anything obviously wrong, so they thought maybe the rotor had warped. They resurfaced it and put it back on. The noise was gone and they told me to come back if the problem returned in the next few days. They didn't touch the back, so we know the problem is in the front.

Fast forward to a month from that day. The noise is back, albeit a little different this time. Instead of a thumping I can feel through the pedal, it's now a low rubbing/groaning noise, the frequency still based on rotation of the wheel. It only happens when braking, also only shows up after the brakes heat up a little. Also, braking power is not diminished. It is NOT your typical metal on metal noise of worn brakes, it's much lower in pitch. I had my neighbor take a look at it this time, and he had a similar opinion as the previous mechanic. He figured the rotor may have a bad spot that kept returning after a little bit of wear. Seemed logical so I replaced them. Problem solved again.

A little better then a month since new rotors and the low groaning noise returns, same as last time. (ughdance)

So here's what we know, concider it the short version:

1. Re-occuring noise is coming from front brakes
2. Sounds like a rubbing/groaning noise.
3. Only occurs under braking.
4. Starts only after brakes heat up a little bit, usually after driving about 5-10 minutes.
5. After disassembling and reassembling the brake system, problem seems to return after a month.
6. Is not an issue with the rotor itself.
7. Braking power is not diminished.
8. Car is an 02 Protege LX.

Anything like the common on our cars? Think it could be as simple as the brake grease around the pads getting rinsed off in the rain/puddles? My other guess is a bad caliper, the piston boot has a slight tear in it.

get the rotors turned it sounds like they are glazed and replace the break pads!

have the brake caliper pins been lubricated? what pads are you using? did you install anti-squeal shims on the pads? did you put grease between the shims and the pads? what rotors are you using? have you torqued the lug nuts to spec instead of getting them "tight"? what is your driving habit/conditions (do you have to slam on the brakes a lot?)?

Titanium-99 said:
get the rotors turned it sounds like they are glazed and replace the break pads!

Potentially stupid question warning: Is there any way to be sure they're glazed? They do feel almost glass-like to the touch. I don't go around touching rotors on a regular basis so I don't know if that's normal or not. :)

TheMAN said:
have the brake caliper pins been lubricated? what pads are you using? did you install anti-squeal shims on the pads? did you put grease between the shims and the pads? what rotors are you using? have you torqued the lug nuts to spec instead of getting them "tight"? what is your driving habit/conditions (do you have to slam on the brakes a lot?)?

Pads came on the car, I'm not sure what brand they are.
There were some little irritating metal wires, so if that's an anti-squeal shim then yes.
I greased around the pads and wires.
I first had whatever rotors came on the car, currently some generic mid-range brand.
I just tightened the lugs to no specific spec. Never had a problem on any of my other cars with this though.
I very rarely slam on the brakes.

first... replace the pads, sounds like they ARE glazed... get quality brake pads such as bendix, mazda OEM, or mazda "value line" (price is pretty decent, not much more than parts store ones)...

for the metal clips that go on the caliper bracket where the ends of the brake pads ride upon, use a special white silicone "stop squeal" grease that you can buy at the parts store (they are available in small packets for less than a dollar each)...

for the back of the brake pads, make sure you have the metal shims that clip onto the back of the brake pads... use a little bit of moly based brake caliper grease in between the back of the pad and the shim

then for the caliper pins, clean them thoroughly with brake cleaner then use silicone dielectric grease to lube them.... do NOT use the black moly grease as those can dry up easily and cause caliper seizure issues!

then for the contact surface between the caliper and the pads, use that special white "stop squeal" grease again... apply some to the end of the caliper piston and the other end where it'll "grip" the outside brake pad

DO torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench to 80ft/lbs... uneven tightening force on the lug nuts will cause rotor warpage! although its not a major issue on mazdas, it WILL happen on any car to some degree!

its sounds like they are glazed! glazed rotors will have a glassy look and feel. Its a simple fix! take the rotors off and take them to your local pep boys or o rilleys and tell them you need your rotors turned. then put them back on the car with some new brack pads and anti chatter grease and you should be good to go. No worries mate!

Lots of good info, thanks guys. I never heard of rotors being glazed before, but it does sound a lot like what's happening. I'll attack it this weekend.

For the future, what causes this sort of thing? Cheap pads? Sitting around without use? Combination of both?

I have a slight development. Someone had suggested the caliper could be sticking. Since WD-40 is the ultimate temporary fix to all annoying squeaks and rattles, I decided to squirt just a little bit in between the caliper and pad. It may have been a stupid idea but it's had the brakes mostly silenced for over a week now. I still get a slight noise from time to time but it's nothing like it was before.

As of now my course of action is to replace everything anyway. Any better ideas?

GET THE ROTORS TURNED!!!!!!!! Honestly that is the problem and once you get them turned they wont make that noise any more. When a rotor gets glazed it causes the pad to just slip against the rotor which makes that noise.

Titanium-99 said:
GET THE ROTORS TURNED!!!!!!!! Honestly that is the problem and once you get them turned they wont make that noise any more. When a rotor gets glazed it causes the pad to just slip against the rotor which makes that noise.

I appreciate the help and I realize it can be a pain in the ass to diagnose problems over the internet, but there's no need for e-yelling. :)

I ended up working last weekend so I couldn't get anything done. I've got an extra long weekend this time around though so I'll get it done. I just didn't know if my last post would be valuable information or not so I figured it would be better safe then sorry.

Back