Ice's N/A Build

X2. I coated everything in assembly lube then tossed it into a bag. I even had a garbage bag around the short block as I would take a day or two break from building it. And yeah all the engine shops I went into were way dirtier than my garage.

hey guys,

Cheers for the tips. Will prolly go buy plenty of diesel and get an old school tidy tray for washing stuff in before assembling. Will just clean the hell out of my garage and try assemble over a long weekend.

And make sure its not a westerly when assembling the motor as my garage is an open communal style setup.

Nope.

Ringing GSL once I get out of this meeting, if I get out of it :/

EDIT: Apparently its been sitting at the warehouse and no ones done anything about it. They ran outta the fluid I ordered, but didn't phone me to offer an alternate product or to let me know. As much as people have a good experience with these guys, dont think I'll be ordering from them again.

On a side note, might see if I can install my new brakes this weekend :D

Last edited:
Fitted my new brake setup to the front yesterday, brake upgrade consists of the following:
- Mazdaspeed Familai/Protege Calipers
- DBA Street Series Rotors - Slotted (280mm Front (Mazda 6 GG Rotor))
- DBA Street Series Rotors - Slotted (274mm Rear (Mazda 6 GG Rotor))
- Hawk HPS Pads

Will be using Penrite DOT 4 Racing fluid. Should stop a fair bit better :) Not really needed that much currently but with the new engine will be a nice upgrade :)

Also fitted my new rays lug nuts to the front.

Heres the end result:

Unfortunatley iPhone photos leave much to be desired, looks much nicer in person :)

^Awesome stuff man...

Sorry for the length of this, but be very careful with those rays lugs...assuming they are the 'duraluminum' or whatever line they had a few years ago...For some jack ass reason i had a set of 25 imported for like $250 to go with a set of bronze FNO1R-C's...they were the long reach kind, so you could thread them easily by hand even in deep recessed wheels...I loved the look, and they were light...plus they lasted no problem for about year...then problems started...

being a DIY type of dude my wheels were on and off at least once a month...I NEVER touched them with air, never torqued them over 85-90 lb/ft, and always used a good torque wrench...i also hand threaded them every single time until fully seated...

The problem was simply...the bastards started falling off haha...I remember getting home from work one day in college and washing the car...one was gone...i quickly checked torque on all others, everything was tight, and i bought a set of spline drives to hold me over to find a replacement. Eventually, i had lost 6 of them at different times...unlikely that the were stolen, as 2 of the 6 were the special lugs that needed the adapter. at that point, i simply gave up on them...and just gave them away for free with the disclaimer that they weren't working right on my set up. I've never had a problem with any other type of lug nut.

so just keep an eye on them...maybe i was just unlucky, or 'using' them too often...but finding a bare stud sticking out of a wheel after a 45 mile drive was never very settling haha...

Hey man,

Thanks, I bought the rays thinking that this wouldnt be a problem as they are a quality nut :( Got them from mazda and everything.

Actually now that I think about it I think I have the same brake setup as you, at least in terms of calipers. Not sure what other stuff your running.

Side note: Ordered a new camera so hopefully can start posting some proper pics of the build up as I go :)

cool man, i may have just been unlucky with them...I've never read about others having problems, also...but just keep an eye on them, you should be fine...

My brakes are 2001 626 V6 front calipers, rotors, and pads...which i think is around 11.2" front iirc...the rears are MSP calipers and 05 Mazda 6 (non MS6) rotors with FD RX-7 pads

Been thrilled with them since i installed them, although appearance wise the fronts are still a bit small...but as far as braking, they've been great...I've been using Motul 5.1 something or other fluid with the setup also, got a good price on 2 quarts...pedal feel is perfect...

Why FD pads if you dont mind me asking?

Yeah penrites an australian brand IIRC, hopefully it all works out well. Shall see :)

And thanks man.

Othernews, finished wiring up the new headlights. Will upload some shots of the test harness my friend wired up to test the headlights. Will take some photos tomorrow on my day off of the new headlights on the car and wired up.

Also, got a phone call from the engine shop. Apparently the bearing tangs for an FS arent right for the rod despite the modifications made. So it was decided that 3SGTE bearing would be tried unfortunately the modifications made to the rod mean that 3SGTE bearings won't work due to tolerances being to loose, and tightening them further will cause pinching.

The solution involves using oversized 3SGTE bearings and modifying the crank journal or bearing to fit. Upside is that the bearing combination will result in a much tighter clearance meaning better oil lubrication. (Due to FS's oil system). Will help support the high rpms Im wanting to run on the finished build.

Downside is it will prolly end up being expensive :(

(I may have some of the above incorrect it was rather early for me when they phoned so brain wasn't what I'd call awake yet :p)

EDIT: 500th post :D

Hey Guys,

Quick update before I try and bleed the air out of my master cylinder.

Headlights:
All the parts from a Sport20 HID:

Back side of a Sport 20 HID Headlight:

Before Painting:

During Painting:

The slight shimmer:

The new brake setup:
New Front vs Old Front:

Old vs New:

(apologies for the slight blurr)

Hoping to get some quick happy snaps of the car with the Coils in and the headlights today/tonight.

Cheers Buddy :)

Unfortunately I was unable to bleed the air out of the brakes, as such a friend was kind enough to spend significant portion of his Sunday helping me trailer it to a workshop to have it looked at. Hoping its not a Master Cylinder or something and just needs a good bleed.

Can't wait to drive it as we installed my new Yellowspeed Coilovers with custom 8/5 spring rates :)

Also installed my seksi Autoexe 3 Pt Strut Brace thanks to Rupe:
fs_bj_autoexe3ptbrace.jpg

Unfortunatley no pictures of it on the car yet :(

What's the bottom rubber white thing for? I assume it just sits on the firewall but is it supposed to torque that much?

Hey man,

The rubber is actually a Master Cylinder stopper. Stops the cylinder from moving under braking :)

WIN :D

Just heard back from the workshop, car has been fixed. Funny thing is it took longer to get the car on the Hoist then to fix the problem :p

Car might be a little low....

Yeah the headlights are in, just need to clean the headlight protectors and take some photos of the end result :)

They work really well from the very short distance it was driven the other night and BRIGHT :D

Last edited:
Back