I was going to buy a CR-V...Not anymore

Get yourself a nice used 2017 CX-5 model and stay away from any vehicle that has cylinder deactivation IMO...
Why is that? Wife's current car, (which we are replacing with the CX5) is a 2010 Honda Crosstour with 160k miles. Owned it since it had 18k miles. No issues so far. What are the known issues with cylinder deactivation?
See post #10、#33、#35、#42、#43 in this thread. As for common CD problems? You can google it on recent class-action lawsuit to Hondas VCM, and this post sums it up nicely and your 2010 Honda Crosstour could have installed a mod which disabled VCM since you didnt buy it new:

Huh, had no idea that the 2018 had cylinder deactivation. I have a 2013 and I got to drive my mother in laws 2018 for three days. Never noticed it turning on or off.

My 2017 Honda Odyssey on the other hand, holy crap! I got really annoyed with the vibrations and noise, as well as a noticeable delay in power. Found all of the 2011-2013 horror stories of failed piston rings, fouled spark plugs, etc on Odyclub. Newer models needing new motor mounts after 60k miles. I installed the VCMTuner on my Odyssey and it drives like a brand new car and handles so much better. Works by putting a resistor in line with the coolant temperature sensor. The temperature reading is lowered just below the threshold that would allow cylinder deactivation (or as Honda calls it VCM).

Odyssey is a whole different animal as it has a V6 though. I wonder if the CX5 could be fooled by a similar trick with temperature reading to not allow the cylinder deactivation (not that I would recommend it by any means on the CX5 at this point, lol!).

OMG. Yeah...dude has a Crosstour with CD no problems...so someone must have...installed a mod to disable it? Come on...

So here is what they offered. 2018 CX-5 GT black on black with 14k miles.
Certified Pre-owned which extends the limited warranty 1 year/12k miles AFTER factory warranty expires and extends powertrain warranty to 7 year/100k miles, roadside assistance and a few other perks.
They want $28,189 before taxes and title.
$29,960 out the door.

I was going to buy today but they werent budging on price. I said Id think about it and come back tomorrow. Salesman said the most hes seen is $200 off their internet price

What do y'all say?

I'll say the same thing I've been saying , the car can be gotten new for that. If not, you wait on the 2019, and get it cheaper, or do like Ed said. It's up to you, though, so do what you wanna...

OMG. Yeah...dude has a Crosstour with CD no problems...so someone must have...installed a mod to disable it? Come on...

The disabling of the CD is the best mod ever done to all the people I know who have them installed. $200 well spent...

If I had to have a car with CD, no doubt I'd order it within minutes of getting home from the stealership...

Its an Accord special Crosstour with 18K miles and youre not going find a rental or fleet sales like such at the time. It should be a private sale or trade in. Whos going to sell or trade in a fairly new vehicle with only 18K miles unless the owner has doubt on problems or reliability issues. With many complaints and class-action lawsuit going on, he or she simply dumped the Accord Crosstour early due to the lack of confidence on long-term reliability even if the VCM has been disabled. Disabling cylinder deactivation is a common practice by Honda V6 owners or other vehicle owners with CD, like ruthrj did to his 2017 Honda Odyssey.

Of course I did say could from my opinion, not must have as youre trying to put words in my month.

Who*s going to sell or trade in a fairly new vehicle with only 18K miles unless the owner has doubt on problems or reliability issues.
Perhaps someone who's financial/life situation has changed. Assumptions are dangerous.

Of course I did say *could* from my opinion, not *must have* as you*re trying to put words in my month.
Important distinction.

Certified Pre-owned which extends the limited warranty 1 year/12k miles AFTER factory warranty expires and extends powertrain warranty to 7 year/100k miles, roadside assistance and a few other perks.
$29,960 out the door.

I was going to buy today but they werent budging on price. I said Id think about it and come back tomorrow. Salesman said the most hes seen is $200 off their internet price

What do y'all say?

A couple points:

1. Some people here are suggesting you might as well buy new, but that is rife with assumptions about the negotiation space. You need to research. First, you should start by looking up the trade-in value of the used car youre looking at - this is what the dealer likely paid for it. Some sites, like CARFAX, let you even do this by VIN number. Whatever theyre asking above trade-in is profit, which is negotiable unless youre dealing with an annoying one price dealer. Second, find out the best deal you can get on a comparable new car. Then its entirely up to you whether the savings buying used is worth it - theres no universal answer.

2. Dont let cylinder deactivation scare you away from a 2018. Remember, Mazda has sold over 100,000 CX-5s already this year, making it by far their #1 car. The CD feature isnt that meaningful, so if Mazda wasnt supremely confident in the reliability of the engine, why would they risk their business? Not the type of thing to worry about imo.

Perhaps someone who's financial/life situation has changed. Assumptions are dangerous.

Agreed! The last car I bought was 8 months old with 10k miles. Could have been a repo, divorce, overseas deployment, etc. Maybe even a new car caught their eye.

$29,960 out the door.

What do y'all say?
Ask for AA CP install included in the price. Then this is a good deal.
You will feel you got a good deal. Dealers will get to double dip the same car. Win win.

The disabling of the CD is the best mod ever done to all the people I know who have them installed. $200 well spent...

If I had to have a car with CD, no doubt I'd order it within minutes of getting home from the stealership...
How is it done?

I'll say the same thing I've been saying , the car can be gotten new for that. If not, you wait on the 2019, and get it cheaper, or do like Ed said. It's up to you, though, so do what you wanna...
Please tell me where I can get a brand new Grand Touring AWD for 30k out-the-door in Virginia and I'm there tomorrow.

I bought an 18 Touring AWD this week in Nevada with a few upgrades for 30,800 OTD. I was told the factory is shut down due to flooding and the earthquake for 3 months.

That's not that unrealistic. In Cleveland, at least.
d8e76fe54bad41b680e08b0d6e4a00be.jpg

My bad. You said OTD. Yeah, that's going to be hard.

⋯ I was told the factory is shut down due to flooding and the earthquake for 3 months.
Recent flooding in Japan was in Osaka area mainly at Kansai International Airport. The 6.7 magnitude earthquake happened the next day was in Hokkaido area. These 2 events are far away from Mazdas assembly plants at Hiroshima and Hofu which produce our CX-5. Plant shutdown is highly unlikely.

I bought an 18 Touring AWD this week in Nevada with a few upgrades for 30,800 OTD. I was told the factory is shut down due to flooding and the earthquake for 3 months.
Another typhoon going through Japan right now. I can believe dealers not budging.

Recent flooding in Japan was in Osaka area mainly at Kansai International Airport. The 6.7 magnitude earthquake happened the next day was in Hokkaido area. These 2 events are far away from Mazda*s assembly plants at Hiroshima and Hofu which produce our CX-5. Plant shutdown is highly unlikely.

Maybe You*re referring to something different, but Mazda*s plants definitely shut down this summer and only resumed normal operation this month, which is probably the 3 months Reno was told about,

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...s-flood-hit-parts-western-japan/#.W7DRC4opCf0

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...ts-of-output-in-japan-due-to-torrential-rains

Back