I sprung a leak!

I noticed a few drops of oil under the car yesterday. I changed the oil recently so I figure the drain plug or filter housing was leaking.

But it I was wrong. I “think" it actually is power steering fluid but I am not sure of the cause yet.

I took a few pictures of the area. The first is from below on the passenger side. It is wet in this area.

The second is form above on passenger side to give the general orientation. The last close ups shows fluid underneath the motor mount.

The PS reservoir is a tad low as well.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1782.JPG
    IMG_1782.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1774.JPG
    IMG_1774.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 95
Tough for me to make out from pictures, but it might just be fluid leaking from the engine mount. It is fluid filled on passenger side and a common failure as mount ages.

I think you are correct then. I wondered if it was oil filled. It seems to be the place where it is coming from.

is the mount pressed in? Is it something that I need special tools?

You can buy a replacement that is partial, and you install it in the reused casting, or spend a few bucks more and get the entire part. If you go that route, it is just 2 bolts to engine block and 2 bolts to car body. Only issue I had when replacing mine was some bind in the bolts even when engine weight was jacked up.

Almost certainly the mount. Have some one rev It while you watch the motor and you should see it rock a little. Wouldn’t be surprised to get some clunk if it completely fails.

Back