I rode in the Mazda3 today

sweet! under 17k, and you got 150hp and 4-wheel disks?! :)

They must be very aggresive about their marketing. 17k is extremely cheap for that car.

I'd actually like a high seating position. Just not so high that it feels like your back is against a wall.

dugrant153 said:
sweet! under 17k, and you got 150hp and 4-wheel disks?! :)

They must be very aggresive about their marketing. 17k is extremely cheap for that car.

I'd actually like a high seating position. Just not so high that it feels like your back is against a wall.

But here's the catch, the lowest Canadian trim (GX) comes with hubcaps, 2-speakers, no CD player, and manual windows/locks/etc... Of course these things can be added, but it'll be around 17-18k by then.

Edit: Only the sedan has GX trim

wongpres said:
But here's the catch, the lowest Canadian trim (GX) comes with hubcaps, 2-speakers, no CD player, and manual windows/locks/etc... Of course these things can be added, but it'll be around 17-18k by then.

Edit: Only the sedan has GX trim

hubcaps: Good 'ol steelies for winter tires :) Plus, you could probably buy aftermarket rims in the future?
2-speakers: Is it possible to install more via aftermarket?
no CD-player: tape player will probably be sacrificed for an aftermarket CD player

I guess as long as the GX trim doesn't sacrifice the suspension or the engine power, it should be fine. But the engine is the same 2.0L all around, right? They don't skimp out on headers or camshafts?

Thanks wongpres.

Last edited:
wongpres said:
The lowest sedan trim (GX) will definitely be under $17k cdn. And yes, the GX will have the 2.0l and 4-wheel discs.

Hey wongpres,

Just wondering where you got these values?
cuz 17k IS really cheap for a car with 150hp and disc brakes all around...

dugrant153 said:
Hey wongpres,

Just wondering where you got these values?
cuz 17k IS really cheap for a car with 150hp and disc brakes all around...

I can't say, and it's preliminary anyways. It may appear cheap but trust me, Mazda's going to make a good profit on it, because as I said, the GX is a real stripper (e.g. even the cheapest Protege has 4-speakers). Also, the new gen engines are cheaper to produce than the 2.0l in the Pro/Pro5.

Remember, this is a brand new vehicle, with it turns out to be roughly 42% sharing between Mazda/Ford/Volvo. The platform sharing saves them a lot of money (both development and manufacturing), which gets passed down to the consumer in terms of value (get more for lower price) and additional content (e.g. dampered handles, glovebox, trunk, and the larger disc size which is shared with the Volvo), since the manufacturers can reinvest a lot of the saved money into the car itself. This is one huge advantage of platform sharing that all the nay-sayers weren't thinking of when they were bashing the Ford influence.

Back