HP w/these Mods ??

slooper

Hey guys...
I put together a list of things I want to do. Please criticize and comment on pros and cons as well as what you thing the total HP would be. Thanks!

MazdaSpeed exhaust cam
Corksport intake cam
AEM CAI
17" OZ Superleggera (will they fit?)
Indigo 9lb flywheel
AWR urethane engine mounts
Eibach Pro Kit
MazdaSpeed Rear Sway Bar 19mm
Slotted Rotors
Header (I thought AWR was making one)
Racing Beat Catback
Green Stuff Brake Pads (available?)
Tokiko struts

I'm hoping for maybe 20HP at the crank??
What about better handling, braking, etc.
Should I replace the calipers?

Also, does anyone know of a good tuning shop that would do some of the installs on this list in Phoenix, AZ?

sounds like a good plan if you want to increase hp...but i'm not sure if what the increase will be on all this...i'm not sure about thw wheels...you'll have to get more specifications for those...and i would go with the injen intake if you want a real CAI cuz AEM only makes a short ram for the P5...

and the Corksport intake cam that you're referring to...do you mean the jdm Sport20 intake cams??

unfortunately there's not too many good shops in phoenix...you can try versus motorsports...that's really the only one that i trust...but most of the parts you listed there are very easy to install if you have basic skills and tools...the only thing that will be difficult if your not comfortable are the cams...but those are fairly simple too if you know your way around a garage...

good luck on your project...email me or pm me if you have any other questions...where abouts in phoenix are you??

Slooper,

I'm new to sport compacts, I can tell you nore about twealking sport bikes than about tweaking P5's, but I've been doing research on some engine upgrades so I'll relay what I know:

INTAKE HEADERS - Mazda Speed lists these are good for 12+ hp, but I have seen some criticism of this figure on this forum. So I guess I would say 12 hp would be absolute tops, and could be a lot less.
CAI INTAKE - I'm installing the AEM short Ram, and I'm confident that that really will give me between 3.5 and 5.5 over the powerband of the engine. I expect that the Cold Air Intake would be about the same, maybe a little better.
CAT BACK - I think there will be some improvement - I guesss I would go with what Racing Beat tells you as a ball park for increase.

I'd add two more comments. First I think its a good idea to dyno your car before and after so you can track what each performance mod has done. Hopefully you have a shop you can get to to do this. I have a P5 with only 600 miles on it, and have not done any performance mods yet, but I have an appointmnet to get the car dyno'd as a bench-mark for mods on next Tuesday. Second, (most important - maybe you already know this?) keep your eye on "Sport Compact Car" magazine. One of their project cars is an MP3, which of course is almost identicial to our P5's. One of the first things they are going to do is install the J-spec cams. So I'll be watching this project very closely. They seem to dyno everything they do, before and after to quantify the performance bump.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

- Woody
(new guy in Minneapolis)

Ok, let's get some estimates on these mods you are planning to do.

MazdaSpeed exhaust cam $142
Corksport intake cam 168
AEM CAI 225
17" OZ Superleggera (will they fit?) 800?
Indigo 9lb flywheel 180?
AWR urethane engine mounts 150?
Eibach Pro Kit 300?
MazdaSpeed Rear Sway Bar 19mm 180?
Slotted Rotors 190?
Header (I thought AWR was making one) 500?
Racing Beat Catback 500?
Green Stuff Brake Pads (available?) 150?
Tokiko struts 300?

(Anything with a question mark is a guess price)

Grand Total - $3785

Why not just skip all that a get a turbo? if you buy those parts, you might get 20 to 25hp. If you get the tripoint turbo, you get 70 to 80hp. And it's cheaper than everything you listed. My turbo is going to be only around $1700, and I'll have close to 200whp. It's your money though.

thanks for your comments guys!

sundevil>>About the CAI, I want the one that pulls air from your wheel well. I used to know who made it, but I've been out of it for a few months. The Superleggeras are on TireRack if you want to take a look. They're very light (hence the name) and I'm hoping for a slight improvement in accel with those. As far as the intake cam, corksport lists the J-Spec intake cam. I might grab the intake header as well. I'll give Versus a call for a quote and some advice. I work downtown and live around 24th St and Indian School. You?

Woody>>Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up a copy of Sport Compact last week. I was a bit dissapointed though. The whole mag was full of ads and parts and everything else for Honda and Ford. Even the RX-7 only appeared a couple times. I'll pick up a couple more copies before I decide on a subscription. I wish I could dyno after every mod though. That's why I was hoping to go with a shop, so they could help me with the install and hopefully dyno it as well.

big_ben>>I see what you're saying, but even if I went with a turbo, that would only replace the HP mods on my list. I would still want to do the others such as the brakes, suspension, etc... All the turbo would knock off the list would be the cams, flywheel, and maybe the intake and exhaust. Thanks for checking those prices for me though. I hadn't gotten that far yet. :) :)

big_ben where are you getting your turbo from?

Ebay! I'm doing a custom turbo setup. Spoolin_MP3 is making the manifold as we speak. Here are the prices for everything on my setup.

Reman. Garrett T3 Turbo $400
Chrom Plated Exhaust manifold $800
All oil lines $100
Starion Intercooler $165
All aluminized steel tubing $130
TurboXS BOV $117
Exhaust Wrap $30
Vortech 10:1 FMU $110
Boost and Air/Fuel Gauges $70(35 each)
Boost Controler $30
Powder Coating $80
Unexpected costs $150 to $200

Total Price $2232
(Damn,..I didn't know I was spending that much)
I guess when you are ordering each part individually you never realize the total costs. My stomach hurts now! Oh well, you only live once!

slooper--if you want the a true CAI that pulls the air from the infront of the wheel well then you're best bet is gonna be the Injen CAI...that's really the only true CAI out there for the MP5...unforunately i've talked to AEM and they had no real plans to releasea CAI they're just gonna stick with the short ram...i'm in tempe around elliot and the i-10...

the cams definitely aren't gonna give you a 12hp gain...maybe 7hp to the wheels at best...

and for all those who say just go with the turbo...unfortunately our engine really really wasn't made for forced induction...the pistons and cylinders are pretty weak...so if you're planning on doing a turbo application you should definitely look into reinforcing your internals...also with a turbo you're going to want a more efficient intake and exhaust which means switching the cams....good luck to all you drivers out there...let us know of any projects...including turbos...;-)

Sean,

I don't think you have missed anything yet on the MP3 mods w/ Sport Compact Car mag. They just mentioned they had it in the works about a month ago, and had ordered some parts. They also have a web site you know. Actaully if you think that is mag is bad, try Super Street Mag - nothing but ads if you ask me, and I can find a damn thing in it. Unfortunately you will find that 90% of the mods out there are for Civis, and Integras. I'm hoping in a year or two the after market will catch up with the Proteges. (I hope, I hope...)

PS - I have a thread of my own going called "ECU Tweaks" under the Performance section. You may want to glance at that. If you go over all the posts you will see that the performance from cams was gone over, and also quite a bit about ECU upgrades. Also links to after market exhaust performance. There probably is some over-lap on the questions you are asking.

- Woody

sundevil>>thanks for the advice on the CAI. I totally want to go with the model that pulls from the wheel well. Actually, though, there's a parts mfg here in town that wants to use my car to prototype an intake they are designing that would use a ram air type hood scoop just above where the stock filter box is now. If that doesnt happen, I'll definately be going with the Injen. I'd love to see what you have done to your P5 if you want to meet some weekend. maybe we can get 4DR and any others and just meet up for drinks and check out each other's rides?

Woody>>Yeah, I must say, I'm not expecting much other than general performance knowledge from the Sport mags. Coincidently, I read through the whole "ECU" thread that you started. It actually supported my thoughts on the cams. 7 HP at the wheels could be 12 at the crank. (???) I don't know the conversion. Anyway, regarding the ECU, it doesn't look like the price is worth a new ECU or even a piggy back chip if you're going NA. 4-5 HP gains aren't very much. Although those numbers regarding adding 40HP to a FI engine makes getting a turbo (and forged internals) more appealing. But that will have to wait until after the warranty is up. :) :)

Check out my other post...
http://forum.protegemp3.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4185

Sean,

Yeah, I'm with you. $1,000 for small gains like that in hp are not cost effective. If rumours about AEM making a perormance chip are true, and if they sell the chip for what I normally see for this kind of thing (around $150) then this is another story. Ball-park of $200 for say 4 to 8 hp gain makes sense. But right now I think Intake, Exhuast, and J-Spec cams are the sure way to go, unless you want to drop $2,000 + on a Turbo. And here again, I wonder say in a year, after the MazdaSpeed Turbo Protege is available, I'm thinking prices may come down and a bolt on Turbo kit may become more reachable. For $2,000 I can sure wait a year and see what becomes available in a Turbo kit.

My only hesitation in the cams is that the install (screwing with the valves) is over my head, and I'll pay a mechanic to do the work. But if you had the mechanic skills neccessary to do the work yourself, its a no brainer.

I'll be watching Sport Compact Car Mag. I know they are doing the cam replacement on their MP3 project car - I expect they will dyno before and after. Like-wise I'm keeping an eye on AEM and see if they really develop a cheap performance chip we can use.

- Woody

yeah if you're really interested in getting a turbo i'd just wait for the mazdaspeed to come out...i've read rumors on some other forums that mazdaspeed might even be looking for cars to test a bolt on kit for proteges...but either way...just wait for that and that way you still have a year to save up the money...

and for all those who say just go with the turbo...unfortunately our engine really really wasn't made for forced induction...the pistons and cylinders are pretty weak...so if you're planning on doing a turbo application you should definitely look into reinforcing your internals...also with a turbo you're going to want a more efficient intake and exhaust which means switching the cams....good luck to all you drivers out there...let us know of any projects...including turbos...;-)

How can you say that? Is the new MazdaSpeed Pro's internals reinforced?......No. These motors are just fine for forced induction. It's not like we are talking 15psi here. I'm only going with 10psi and I plan on getting just under 200whp. When I get a stand alone in the future, I plan on going 12psi and getting around 225whp. If you think that number is impossible, ask spoolin what he got at 12psi.....(230whp)! That means about 260 at the crank.

Back