Tools/Equipment Needed:
12mm socket
Flat Screwdriver or Pliers
Loctite
SURE Shorcut
SURE Counterweight
*included Allen Screws
*included* Allen Wrench

I know it is simple, but I had some time today to install the SURE Shortcut and Counterweight on my 2008 Mazdaspeed3 and decided to take pictures and create a how-to along the way. Start to cleaned-up should take 30 minutes or probably less. It is a simple install that creates a dramatic effect on shifting and driving.

First, here is a picture of the exact part we are looking to replace. The shifter linkage and assembly sits underneath the air intake box. In my case, I have a Short Ram Intake, which made it easy to reach. I did, however, remove the air filter to make things as simple as possible and to get better photos.

Piece by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Next, remove the shifter linkage by prying it up with a flat screwdriver or a pair pf pliers. It will take a decent amount of force to pop it off.

Linkage by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Then, remove the two bolts that connect the shifter weight to the assembly. This will remove the shifter weight--catch it so it doesn't fall!

TwoBolts by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Shifter Weight Comparison: 13.5 Ounces vs. 4 Ounces

Comparison by James Iorfida, on Flickr

A quick Mockup of the new assembly.

ShortParts by James Iorfida, on Flickr

I apologize for the picture being upside down, but here is the Shortcut put in place. Slide the knob you detached the linkage from into the slot on the Shortcut. Note how the one end of the Shortcut sits underneath the OEM piece.

ShortInPlace by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Install the Counterweight by using the included allen screws and wrench. Be sure to put Loctite on the screws. Reattach the shifter linkage on the new knob on the Shortcut. You are done!

ShortInstalled by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Replace anything you may have taken off (in my case, the air filter). Here is a finished picture, showing off the nice shiny red underneath the SRI. Adds a splash of color to the engine bay!

EngineBay2 by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Obligatory engine bay shot...

EngineBay1 by James Iorfida, on Flickr

Finished!

Impressions:
From day one, it has been my mission to fix the sloppiness and jerkiness of the MS3 transmission and shifter. Today, I have accomplished that mission (basically because no other parts are made to help improve shifting...)

My current setup is as follows--
TRZ Dogbone Rear Motor Mount
Ford Transmission Fluid
TWM Full Replacement Short Shifter
SURE Shortcut
SURE Counterweight
TWM M1 Abrams Shift Knob

The SURE Shortcut reduces throw by about 33%. Coupled with the TWM Full Replacement Short Shifter, this makes for a very little amount of travel in between gears. However, there is an increased effort in putting it in gear with the SURE Shortcut--no longer can you just casually shift gears. You must use a little must and "click" it into place. The best thing about that is the feeling of knowing you are secured in gear. There is little movement or travel. For the first time ever today, my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts were smooth, quiet, and precise. I finally feel as though the car shifts the way it should have from the factory!

Please let me know if you have any questions. I took some fancy product photo shots before installing, so I will pull those off my camera and add them to this post eventually. Thanks for reading! Now go get these parts! $100 shipped for the best shifting experience possible!

Nice write up! (2thumbs) This is my next mod.

Back