How To: Retrofit HID projectors into P5 headlights

I always screw on the mini gatlin gun shrouds, got a photo you can post of your current state of headlights?

I always screw on the mini gatlin gun shrouds, got a photo you can post of your current state of headlights?

I currently have the Mini Graphite shrouds with my projectors. Don't have a camera with me right now but do have one on my droid phone. If it's okay with you, send me a text message on my cell phone and will send you back a pic of my HL.

EDIT...took pics with my phone...will post pics shortly.

Last edited:

I currently have the Mini Graphite shrouds with my projectors. Don't have a camera with me right now but do have one on my droid phone. If it's okay with you, send me a text message on my cell phone and will send you back a pic of my HL.

EDIT...took pics with my phone...will post pics shortly.

Mini H1 Proj Mini Graphite Shroud_1.jpg
Mini H1 Proj Mini Graphite Shroud_2.jpg

The rings are installed correctly, but are not really needed for those shrouds. Four small screws would hold the shrouds on.
I always use a two part epoxy to hold the shrouds to the rings and the rings to the projectors(on the shrouds that the rings can be used on). I've tried JB weld but my customers that have trucks and go off roading have had the jbweld crack and the shroud fall off.
The epoxy that I now use i've never had a melting issue or a shroud fall off.
You will need to open the headlights and remount or possibly replace the shrouds.

The rings are installed correctly, but are not really needed for those shrouds. Four small screws would hold the shrouds on.
I always use a two part epoxy to hold the shrouds to the rings and the rings to the projectors(on the shrouds that the rings can be used on). I've tried JB weld but my customers that have trucks and go off roading have had the jbweld crack and the shroud fall off.
You will need to open the headlights and remount or possibly replace the shrouds.

The pics don't do justice...but the shrouds seem okay since it just happened last night. So as you mentioned, I don't need the centric rings for the shroud that I currently have as it bolts on directly with the supplied screws. Will be removing the HL lens and fix the shrouds and after that make sure they are properly aligned since the first time I installed it the beams where off.

Thanks for the clarification with the rings and shrouds.

Ran into an issue when I fixed the shrouds. You mentioned that the Mini Graphite shrouds are a direct bolt on to the Mini H1 projectors I got and is even mentioned on the TRS website product details. However after putting my lights together again, the mounting holes on the shroud don't line up with the holes on the projectors. I already sent TRS an email about the shrouds I ordered and also mentioned about the centric rings melting. Hope they can clear this up for me.

the mini graphites i had the same issue with. Ended up having to put a bead of silicone behind them (not ideal since they're semi clear) but it worked

Got a response back from Justine @ TRS regarding my issues with the Mini Graphite shrouds. Per Justin the said shrouds are not a direct bolt-on thus the centric rings that came with the Mini H1's I ordered and installed. Was able to salvage the said deformed rings. After putting everything back together, ran into an issue with one of my ballast (35W RikenSport brand). It finally met the end of the road. So I decided to upgrade my ballasts to digital one's and I was able to get off from ebay for under $30 shipping included from a an Ebay seller in Cali. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Installed the new ballasts and noticed last night that the lights were flickering a bit and also noticed that the lights seemed not as solid compared the RikenSport ballasts I had since 2008. Is it the new digital ballasts that's causing the flickering? Should I go back to non-digital or standard ballasts?

Thank you guys for any assistance you can provide. (rockon)

Are you running a relay harness? My HIDs would flicker on/off upon warmup without the relay harness.

Might want to invest in a relay harness. They can be had for pretty cheap on eBay. Good insurance for the weak electrical system on the P5. My HIDs would flicker on/off w/o them.

Might want to invest in a relay harness. They can be had for pretty cheap on eBay. Good insurance for the weak electrical system on the P5. My HIDs would flicker on/off w/o them.

I see what the relay harness does. One thing that I noticed when I was still using the standard ballasts with the HID projectors, the lights never flickered. It's only when I updated to the digital ballast did the lights start to flicker when one of my standard ballast went out.

Should I just go back to using the standard ballasts instead?

Last edited:
I'm thinking about doing this to my 2001 Protege lx I think it looks nice but I think I want the HALO'S too does anyone have a picture with the HALO'S I am trying to talk my wife into letting me do this to her car! She likes the look just not the price!lol

Here is a set a build for guy on another forum
20120826_190742.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone converted their stock fog lights to HID H3 bulbs? I ended up having a set of 35W digital HID ballasts and want to use them, also have extra wiring harness I got from TRS from my previous HID projector install for my HL. Any help will be appreciated.

I have, with regular H3 bulbs the fog housing needs to be modified a bit. More info can be found in the DDM tuning thread.

Back