How To: Racing Beat rear Sway bar on P5/ES

Yeah, that is what I plan on doing with the AWR ones. I think that the gap was just too big with the 19mm hole. I don't really expect a problem with these new ones.

macklum said:
When I put my MP3 rear bar on my sedan i used the rubber bushings that came withthe stock bar and opened them up to fit the 20mm bar ,i havent had any problems for 2 yrs .

i assume you still needed the new brackets from AWR?

this is prolly what i will do...ill save the $10 and buy myself a lunch sometime...

The Mountain Dew is required!

One more thing to add to the list are some new endlinks. I drove on it with stock endlinks for a week with no problem, but whe I drove it hard this past weekend, I encountered a problem. Normally a properly installed sway bar is parallel to the ground and pointing toward the back of the car. I must have hit a bump or something but the endlinks are short enough that they allowed the sway to rotate up and over the top so that the bar now pointed toward the front of the car and up at like 45 degrees. So I jacked up the car and put it back to the correct position again, and the same thing happened. So I went over to SPD racing and looked at a few of the MSP endlinks, and they seem to be a bit longer. I think that they will solve the issue, but it is another thing to add to the list. AWR probably has some adjustables thay will work too, but it looks like the P5 endlinks are not going to work...

DUUUDE!

i am so happy.

i got my new sway bar today, and not only did the guys at the junk yard send me the bar, they also sent me the bushings, the horseshoes, AND the endlinks!

now i just need to get the brackets from AWR....

I hope the MSP horseshoes fit on the AWR brackets... I have no idea if they mount differently or not, but I am guessing they are bigger. You might end up using the ES horseshoes anyways...

I installed a racingbeat sway bar over a month ago. All you really need is the MSP bushings and the plates. The P5 end links dont have to be changed . I had one clunking problem because I could not tighten the old end link onto the new sway bar tight enough so it moved around in the oversized hole in the sway bar end. I had to get new end liks ones because I stripped the nuts trying to get them off to make the swap. I have had no clunking problems after the new end links were installed. I autocross and it sure makes a difference in the handling of the car. The ass end tends to slide out easier, but you can sure hold a corner.

BN7H-28-155A Stabilizing plate x 2
BN7H-28-156E Stabilizing bushing x 2
BP7H-28-151A Stabilizer
The end links are the same as the MSP, I had them check the part number.

so you have the msp horseshoes? and didnt need to change the subframe/get the AWR brackets? i thought that was impossible....

The Mazdaspeed horseshoes will not fit on the AWR spacers ,you have to use the ones form your ES . I know because I tried to fit the speed ones

great write up and pictures.

so if you are going to install the MSP (racing beat) sway bar ... it's best to have the
complete package pulled straight from an MSP. meaning it should include:

msp sway bar
msp endlinks (longer than P5)
msp bushings
msp horseshoe bracks

I'm assuming that the AWR brackets to mount the sway bar are a must, since the MSP brackets aren't totally compatible with the P5 rear subframe.

Mike

That sounds about right, however I am not sure if the MSP horseshoe brackets will fit the AWR mounts. If you could get the MSP subframe, then they would definately fit, but the point of this was to do it without the subframe.

The msp horseshoes are bigger in order to fit a larger bushing. I haven't ever seen one so I do not know if the mounting holes are in the same location as the P5 ones or not.

but the horseshoe brackets from the ES/P5 are too small for the MSP bushings....

edit: i guess the only bushings that can be used are modified AWR bushings... got it... :p

Last edited:
ChopstickHero said:
but the horseshoe brackets from the ES/P5 are too small for the MSP bushings....

edit: i guess the only bushings that can be used are modified AWR bushings... got it... :p
No you can use the stock ES/LX sway bar bushings but have to open them up to fit the MSP bar ,That what I did . It worked great .

macklum said:
No you can use the stock ES/LX sway bar bushings but have to open them up to fit the MSP bar ,That what I did . It worked great .
right...... thanks....

the AWR 19mm swaybar essentially the same as the racing beat one?

Yeah, that will work too. I ended up opening up the AWR ones a little bit. I wanted to keep the stock ones so that it could all be returned to stock if need be. I found a socket that had the same outside diameter as the sway bar (20mm) and opened up the bushing until it fit the socket well. I used a Dremel with a sanding bit and just went around and around with light pressure until the socket fit. It took about 10 minutes per bushing. It seems to work fine.

ChopstickHero said:
right...... thanks....

the AWR 19mm swaybar essentially the same as the racing beat one?

depends on what you mean by "essentially the same." here's how they go in size:

LX/DX bar: ???
ES/P5 bar: 16 or 17mm
AWR 19mm bar: 19mm
RB (MP3/MSP) bar: 20mm
AWR 21.5mm bar: 21.5mm

Back